Hornby Class 31 R/R

Soundloco

• RMweb Premium

Yes, the spelling on the pre-pro model in the Hornby catalogue is wrong and has been pointed out already on another thread. Hopefully Hornby QC has noticed - it's pretty obvious after all. But if it's wrong you can always attach etched plates with the correct spelling.

• 2 weeks later...

From my point of view with both the Regional Railways 31 and the Network Rail 31 that Hornby are doing this year, is that they are both fitted with a central headlight this time, not the offset one. This means that the body shell will be new and I can't wait to see if they actually use the right body shell this time. Plus, it will be interesting to see if they wire the lights on these models with a positive common feed to the LED's, so we can modify the lights much more easily this time on them. Tony.

• 4 weeks later...

This will be a potential purchase for me, the chassis of the RR version of the 31 wll be a lot easier to shorten to put under a Silver Fox A body.

Not as powerful I know, but should be good enough for an A.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Has any one else noticed the mispelling on pages 78/79 of the 2011 catalogue of the name of the Regional Railways class 31 ?

Or am I the wrong one thinking it is wrong ?

Hope it is correct on the actual model when released.

The loco is now in the shops and the nameplate is spelt correctly http://railsofsheffield.com/class-31-regional-railways-aia-aia-diesel-locomotive-dcc-ready-r2963-JJJA15149.aspx. The headlights look a bit odd though. Should they be raised rather than flush on the front?

Oh dear, I have one of these on pre-order. Please keep us informed with what they have to say, EE.

I suppose one can add a set of Repica High Intensity lights in it's place, but on a model costing over £100 one shouldn't have to.

Hi

have recieved email from Hornby service dept today to say the seperate light surrounds will be supplied pre-sprayed yellow in a couple of months. Was asked if wanted to glue on myself (ie not to me to the model) or send the loco back to be done by Hornby.

Well done Hornby for sorting a solution so quick

cheers

mark

I also have one of these on order and have been looking forward to getting one. So, to see if Hornby have done anything about the headlight I dropped them an e-mail last night. Got a rely today and here's the e-mail -

Dear Tony,

Thank you for your email. I have been speaking with Hornby Marketing and the Engineering department. The lighting surround should have been on the model. We have placed an order for this spare, which will be pre-sprayed yellow. We hope to receive these within the next couple of months.

Once we receive the lighting surround I will be happy to send this spare out to you, which can be attached to the model with glue. If you feel that you will not be able to attach the spare with ease please send your locomotive to us and we will do the procedure for you. If you would like to attach the surround yourself please confirm your address and once we have received the spare I will get this sent out.

Kind Regards,

Sophie Dye

Customer Care

So it looks like you need to get your details off to Hornby pronto and they will be sending out the surrounds as soon as they get them.

Hi all, just got one of these to detail up for a friend. I've drilled out and fitted Replica headlights as he doesn't want to wait! Fox transfers Reggie-Rail stripes also cover Hornbys perfectly!HTH, Kev.

Got this model a couple of days ago. Aside from the missing headlight, I have noticed a couple of errors on the model. Comparing the model with a photo of the real 31439 on page 52 of British Rail Passenger Trains by Roger Wood, there is a central lamp bracket on the cab front which is missing from the model, and the overhead warning flashes are lower down on the real thing, they should be between the missing lamp bracket and the small grab rail by where the black paint around the cab starts. Also, on the end of the blue stripe, where the 3 blue/2 white lines are, only the top white line is white, the other is grey.

Not to sure about the grey and blue Hornby have used either, but in the picture in the book the colours on the loco looks a little different to the coaches. Below is a few pics comparing the loco with a Model Rail RR MK2.

post-7477-0-84664700-1314293953_thumb.jpg

post-7477-0-92437500-1314293981_thumb.jpg

post-7477-0-62432400-1314294008_thumb.jpg

Not to sure about the grey and blue Hornby have used either, but in the picture in the book the colours on the loco looks a little different to the coaches. Below is a few pics comparing the loco with a Model Rail RR MK2.

There's a reason why they look different. Hornby have appear to have actually used the correct shades of both Provincial Blue and Rail Grey. Compare the 31 with the first incarnation of Bachmann's 37429 (you know, the badly misshapen one) and you'll see they're not too far apart from each other. From what I can remember, the Mk2s were done to match the Rails 37427, which I can understand as it's better to have consistency. As an aside, I've repainted the blue on my 427 to the correct shade of blue and it's transformed it.

I'd keep the 31 as it is - it's fine!

HTH,

HTH,

I bought a green one of these last year and, although it runs smooth and slow, it sounds like a bag of nails on my non DCC layout. I put the noise down to the fan drive which in my mind is a somewhat unnecessary embelishment and am minded to disconnect it. Has any one in RMWeb land had this problem and dealt with it as I'm planning to do? please advise. Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

on 2 of my 56s and 1 of my CE 31s (the other had the self destructing chassis) the fan drive has been disconnected it either siezed or the belt perished and snapped....could be the fan drive bearings...its an insanely overcomplicated bit of engineering....or it could be the tower bearings. Hornby 31s were either over oiled to the point that it found its way into the wheelsets making electrical conductivity near nil....or no oil which means it sounded terrible..

Yes I know as Per 13th post, but to be honest its almost shambolic. Im no rivit counter but its a glaring mistake to leave the headlight marker box off and stands out completely when viewed head on. Also, even things like a lack of nameplates that come as standard with Bachmann makes you wonder just what quality control is in evident working for Hornby. Ive a show in October and would like this engine working then... hence the request for information as I doubt Hornbys solution will be taken or done any time soon. All this for an engine around 100 kwid.....

• RMweb Gold

Yes I know as Per 13th post, but to be honest its almost shambolic. Im no rivit counter but its a glaring mistake to leave the headlight marker box off and stands out completely when viewed head on. Also, even things like a lack of nameplates that come as standard with Bachmann makes you wonder just what quality control is in evident working for Hornby. Ive a show in October and would like this engine working then... hence the request for information as I doubt Hornbys solution will be taken or done any time soon. All this for an engine around 100 kwid.....

Finally...

We now have an RTR mass produced locomotive that even the box shifters are selling at over £100, a 3 figure sum for a locomotive with this headlight problem...i saw this in my local model centre the other day, and having 9 lima 31s requiring replacement when their liveried Hornby counterparts are released this has pretty much put the brakes on this, try as i might i simply cant justify paying over £100 for a non DCC fitted model. Not sure what Hornby are thinking but the end result is my lima fleet have just had a significant life extension...and will probably end up with railroad chassis being fitted.

Archived