GWR 58xx Painting guide?

Was it just the larger mixed traffic classes that received the red backed plates?

I think some goods locos got red backgrounds when being repainted in the red background era, but I don't know whether the practice was widespread. I think Caerphilly works was fond of red background plates. See here for example.

Btw, when was the red background era?

P.S. Don't forget many plates weren't brass.

From what I understand the original BR mixed traffic specification* was basically full LNWR livery including red plates. The black was a big enough insult in itself and the red plates were dropped ASAP.

* possibly also goods engines in plain black?

From what I understand the original BR mixed traffic specification* was basically full LNWR livery including red plates. The black was a big enough insult in itself and the red plates were dropped ASAP.

* possibly also goods engines in plain black?

I don't think that was quit the case, as for a number of years the G.W.R. had been painting it's MT locos in plain green along with it's F locos, so any chance of putting lining on the MT locos was looked on as good for them.

IIRC, none of the 'green' locos had the red background to the name or numberplate's? 

Also the G.W.R. was one of the first Cos. to apply the 'Blue' livery to it's class 8ps.

IIRC, the old G.W.R. also worked very well with the old L.N.W.R.

OzzyO.

I have heard this quoted before but never been able to find photos to back it up. 1470 was a regular on the Ashburton branch and so was fairly well photographed but all the photos I have seen show unlined black.

If anyone knows of any photos I would be very interested.

Hi Karhedron,

I know you made this request yonks ago now regarding 1470 in lined black but I only noticed it following the threads recent bump.

There are a few images out there of 1470 in this guise and Peter Gray's shot at Totnes in March 1952 springs to mind. This is in C. R. Potts Railways in and Around Newton Abbot and Torbay. The numberplate appears to be red as well!

Regards,

Andy.

Archived