Flying Scotsman to go wartime black!

D605Eagle

• RMweb Gold

I am confident we will see a double chimney Scotsman appear this summer - all the reports have stated the deflectors will "go back on" after the initial testing in wartime black. Why re-fit deflectors if you have a single chimney machine...? ;)

I suspect that there might even be enough knowledge available to stop it going on the mainline if it hasn't got smoke deflectors! I seriously wonder if someone such as VAB would hold up their hands and say 'oi, you are importing additional risk when it's not necessary to do so - put the deflectotrs back on.'

I suspect that there might even be enough knowledge available to stop it going on the mainline if it hasn't got smoke deflectors! I seriously wonder if someone such as VAB would hold up their hands and say 'oi, you are importing additional risk when it's not necessary to do so - put the deflectotrs back on.'

But to be fair, I read the statement as it would not have the deflectors whilst going through its running in period (which is being conducted at a preserved railway, I thought?) and that they would be refitted for its mainline outings while in apple green.

• RMweb Gold

But to be fair, I read the statement as it would not have the deflectors whilst going through its running in period (which is being conducted at a preserved railway, I thought?) and that they would be refitted for its mainline outings while in apple green.

The running-in comment on the website seems a little vague (perhaps on purpose?) so you could well be right that it will all take place on a preserved line.

Guest LNER Tom

The running-in comment on the website seems a little vague (perhaps on purpose?) so you could well be right that it will all take place on a preserved line.

This was something I had wondered about when I read the NRM statement...I too can't see her running on the main line without smoke deflectors going ahead...East Lancs running in period only maybe?....saying that, when the double chimney was first fitted in the late 90's/early 00's didn't she run with double chimney and no deflectors? I'm sure I've seen footage...how did they get away with it then.....did they just think due to time the issue had gone away :lol: ;)

An A3 with double chimney and minus deflectors? Shock-horror, double decker buses with open platforms in preservation too. How dare they? Don't they realize this is Littlebritain.....? ;)

:lol:

She has indeed been on the mainline sans smoke deflectors on several occasions since the double chimney was originally fitted. Early reports I can glean from my back issues of Steam Railway Magazine seem to suggest somewhere inbetween vaguely annoying drifting smoke and a full on fog! :lol:

saying that, when the double chimney was first fitted in the late 90's/early 00's didn't she run with double chimney and no deflectors? I'm sure I've seen footage...how did they get away with it then

It only did a couple of mainline runs in its last stint with the double chimney but no smoke deflectors - I photographed it (well the smokebox at least) on one of those trips - smoke came out the top, and straight down the side of the boiler and over the cab - lets just say I wasn't very surprised when the delectors went on.

Of course if you ask me, black livery would be set off nicely with red wheels - just to go with the German smoke deflectors B)

Jon

For an active steam loco use on the mainline (or anywhere else) which is used to pull a train rather than aiming to be a museum piece any livery it has ever run in is prototypical. There has been a lot of winging about combinations of livery and chimneys/deflectors/tenders - this may be justified for models but in the real world if Scotsman is painted GER blue for its test it would be a prototypically accurate livery - for 2011.

Flying Scosman has to be the most recognised locomotive in the World, and as such its gone beyond being a rivit counters machine, its a marketing machine, its there for everyone, and its out to make money, heritage lines want her as it draws in the families which mean more revenue, It could be blue with pink spots and still the public will go just because of the name Flying Scotsman.

Though God help us if Eddie Stobart Group ever get hold of her, somehow FS in Stobart colours with a rake of Tesco containers behind her will just not look right B) B)

Though God help us if Eddie Stobart Group ever get hold of her, somehow FS in Stobart colours with a rake of Tesco containers behind her will just not look right B) B)

Do her up like one of those new class 70s. It would keep our Australian friends happy. :lol:

Bernard

Flying Scosman has to be the most recognised locomotive in the World, and as such its gone beyond being a rivit counters machine, its a marketing machine, its there for everyone, and its out to make money, heritage lines want her as it draws in the families which mean more revenue, It could be blue with pink spots and still the public will go just because of the name Flying Scotsman.

Oh dear..I see yet another ficticious Hornby "Stobey" limited edition pack hitting the shelves...ever remember those dreadfull Hornby 37s? and the prices they change(d) hands for!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not going to contribute anything about the livery - far too close to the day job, but I was on the support crew in 2005 when the deflectors were off for a week on the Scarborough run. Suffice it to say, we couldn't wait to get them back on, the drifting smoke was so bad that one got to Scarborough coughing and black from the soot. With deflectors, the cab was clear.

• RMweb Premium

Black with red wheels and German smoke deflectors? Numbered 01 4472 as well? Please!

Some of 6024's support crew were out in Germany last Easter for the Dampfspektekal, and it was noted just how similar in size the cast DB cabside plates are to GWR cabside numberplates....

Black with red wheels and German smoke deflectors? Numbered 01 4472 as well? Please!

Some of 6024's support crew were out in Germany last Easter for the Dampfspektekal, and it was noted just how similar in size the cast DB cabside plates are to GWR cabside numberplates....

Sure why not black with red wheels, and in exchange, a Deutsche Reichsbahn Class 05 in Doncaster green with white lining.

• RMweb Premium

There's also a slim chance of it top'n'tailling trains between the NRM sites in York and Shildon with the prototype HST power car at the other end!

Rumour has it that the NRM have been looking at getting a new engine for it, i.e. one of the engines that have been removed from the production HSTs as a results of the re-engining that's been going on over the last few years.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

There's also a slim chance of it top'n'tailling trains between the NRM sites in York and Shildon with the prototype HST power car at the other end!

Rumour has it that the NRM have been looking at getting a new engine for it, i.e. one of the engines that have been removed from the production HSTs as a results of the re-engining that's been going on over the last few years.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

And re-wire it? There was at one time an intention to fully restore a prototype HST power car for GW 150 and it fell by the wayside due to the cost and lack of compatible material for what was initially hoped would be a simple task, hence cosmetic work only.

• 2 months later...

Hi Folks

For those that may be interested from 28 - 30 May you will be able to see the FS on the turntable in "wartime black" (NO SMOKE DEFLECTORS YES to Double Chimney)

Come down for a weekend of entertainment.

August 2011 - you can go on the footplate whilst FS is exhibiting.

At the same time you will be able to reserve a Hornby Special Edition only 500 pieces 00 gauge working model in 'wartime black' for £146.00 (with smoke deflectors & doule chimney) or from June you will be able to reserve one online.http://www.nrmshop.co.uk/category/models.html

There will also be Hornby Special Edition only 1000 pieces 00 gauge working model in 'apple green' for £146.00

ALL PROCEEDS WILL GO TOWARDS THE UPKEEP OF FS.

NRM OFFICIAL SOURCE

There will also be Hornby Special Edition only 1000 pieces 00 gauge working model in 'apple green' for £146.00

Will this model have double chimney and deflectors too? I want a model of the Flying Scotsman as she was in the 80's I can live with the chimney but the deflectors will stand out a mile.

That photo is very atmospheric !! The loco is still RHD and it looks as though it is in BR Blue livery. That would date it as between Dec 49 and Feb 52, during which time it was allocated to Leicester GC. I used to see it regularly at this time, on the late afternoon Marylebone - Manchester (London Road) which it would have taken over at Leicester, returning from Manchester on the overnight newspaper train.

When it was ex-works in March 52, it was in Brunswick Green livery although still RHD which was changed in April 54.

gresley

Archived