filthy black 5

Michael Delamar

• RMweb Gold

Twin headlamps above each buffer denotes an express passenger train if memory serves me right???.....:lol:

That reminds me of a young lady in our DMO's typing pool back in the 1960s who had a habit of wearing a sort of clingy red sweater top - and as a result was referred to as the slip coach (because she gave the impression of a pair of tail lamps).

Actually, the one on the left is actually Brian and the one on the right is Fiona. Fiona uses hair dye. Both are surnamed Stewart, hence the tartan. That is Doris on the footplate and Sid is talking to her.

I am afraid I cannot tell you how I know all this but you can trust me.

Is that enough gen? PM me for Doris's phone number and I will tell her that you are interested in being her fireman one day.

• RMweb Gold

Looks like Carlisle pre-electrification, if so those two must be well into their fifties by now.

Looking at the HVV on the footplateman - were they being issued with reflective trim in those days? And I thought the pork-pie on the platform was carrying a digital camera!

• RMweb Premium

Have you noticed the old sign on the wall which reminds enginemen not to blow their whistles or drain their cocks whilst standing within the station limits?:blink:

Also, do you think there was some confusion when the shunters/ fitters were asked to tidy up the bagpipes?:rolleyes:

H. Aggis

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the HVV on the footplateman - were they being issued with reflective trim in those days? And I thought the pork-pie on the platform was carrying a digital camera!

And if you can manage to look that far the loco has modern ohle warning 'flashes' and a little red plaque of some sort of the left hand mainframe extension plus a nameplate it never carried in BR service and airbrake connections. The skirts might well look late 1960s but the loco very definitely does notwink.gif

Archived