RMweb

Which layouts have really inspired you?

PGN

Just three? That's very difficult but after a lot of thought I've managed to come up with just three in no particular order - but they all offer consistency, atmosphere and realistic urban scenics and the scale/gauge I generally work in. They're all fairly old now but I guess that gives time for them to lodge in the memory. I've seen them all at exhibitions and featured in magazines so it's still possible to re-visit them to top up the inspiration. And I frequently do.

Copenhagen Fields (MRJ; #46 1991)

Brigenshaw (Practical Model Railways; March 1985)

Acton Main Line (RailModel Digest; preview issue 1995)

G.

I agree with Jim S-W comment about being inspired by a prototype, it happened to me after reading a 1985 US magazine and generally becoming obsessed by it. The odd thing is tho, although i've been inspired by certain American layouts (particuarly Peter North's), I've never seen a rateable Interurban layout in the flesh that I could say inspired me to have a go.

Anyway, I couldn't list a top three so narrowed my selection down to specific modelling periods I've been interested in:

Teenage GWR branchline phase:

Breedon, Ashburton, and a funny sounding Welsh plan that was in RM in the 1980's and someone will have the name to withing the hour.

Trying something different, Narrow Gauge:

Charlie Insley's Welsh 009, Gordon Gravett's first O-16.5 layout.

Coming of age dabble in N/2mm:

Nether Stowey, Rhosteigne, and generally anything small in 2mm.

Bit more disposable income and modern image:

Boldon Jn, Carstairs (certainly inspired me to build quite a bit of stock for it).

Current American phase:

Any Peter North layout, Rock Springs, and a nice D&RGW layout with superb presentation and sound effects.

Guest dilbert

No real three favourite layouts - however, three modellers that are probably better remembered because of their layouts, but their different and unique contributions to the hobby remain for myself a more outstanding inspiriation - certainly in time there will be more contemporary modellers to be added to the list... dilbert

The buildings you saw were completed by the late Harry Maden, who used to assist in the emporium on Chew Valley Road!! Gauxholme is still in existence although the last time I saw it, it looked a bit down at heel.

Thanks for remembering it Red Devil - a lot of work went into that layout - not least carrying it about as everything was made of cast plaster and the thing weighed a ton!

Yep, remember Harry very well, did he ever have a fag out of his mouth? Is it in private hands now?

Guest eddie reffin

1. Boldon Junction

2. Law Junction

3. Blair Atholl

All very popular on the exhibition circuit over the last decade or so.

Cheers

Eddie

I find it interesting that for some people, the inspiring layouts have to be in their sphere of modelling interest. Not a critism, just an observation. To me great layouts transcend subject.

Personally I find it easiest to be impressed by layouts where I understand the subject well. If you know the area and scale modelled it is easier to appreciate the effort that has gone into models.

For example, if I saw a particularly well built model set in the highlands, I might not recognize the effort that had gone into kit building or even scratch building. On the other hand, if I saw a rake of GWR centenary stock in N gauge I would certainly have a second look. :)

• Like 1

I find it interesting that for some people, the inspiring layouts have to be in their sphere of modelling interest. Not a critism, just an observation. To me great layouts transcend subject.

Its is an interesting point Tim, "Inspiring" and "great" to me are very different things.

An inspirational layout will be one that makes me want to model something similar or along the same line hence why I chose the 3 I did as they all cover similar time period to that I model.

I can appreciate great layouts that don't fit this genre but they don't inspire me to model that prototype or layout. An example of the latter that springs to mind was I saw a fantastic broad gauge O scale layout at Northampton a few years ago. In my eyes it was fantastic layout and while I was in awe of the efforts the builder had gone to, it hasn't inspired me to model broad gauge steam.

What follows is a long and sometimes rambling thought on where i'm coming from on this subject and my choices...so feel free to skip it if you get bored. :P ;)

Personally I find it easiest to be impressed by layouts where I understand the subject well. If you know the area and scale modelled it is easier to appreciate the effort that has gone into models.

Whilst I agree to some extent with what you're saying in that it's easier to "get" the concepts of layouts in genre's you are familar with, my interpretation of the OP's question isn't "what layouts impress you?" or "what layouts are good?" (subtext - what stuff do you like?) but "what layouts inspire you?" (subtext - what layouts give you idea's/concepts that you can or have taken to use in your own modelling?)

Interestingly my interpretation of that is almost the opposite to 37114's interpretation! :D

My take on that is that there are idea's or concepts out there on layouts modelled in an area, or a scale, or a gauge, or an era, or a style that you are not familiar with or maybe even dislike - putting that in terms of the three I picked:

* I have no "connection" or knowledge in the slightest to pre-grouping UK railways, I appreciate it was lots of effort to scratchbuild pretty much everything, that's impressive but I haven't the slightest desire for that to become my hobby - but the inspirational points still stand to look beyond my normal horizons and that "doing ops" in a way that makes sense is feasible outside of the normal US basement setting...

* I have no desire at all to model, all to very near exact scale, half a real city, I will never be a P4 modeller, as above I have little desire to scratchbuild most of my structures and in the context of today I think the era chosen picks a fine path along the join between two looks that I think were some of the most boring visually on the post-steam railway - but the inspirational point still stands that thinking big and doing something with a big scope every now and again isn't unachievable...

* I have no desire to model modern CSX, I think it's possibly the least inspirational of all modern US class 1's in my book, the mix of buildings in pastel colours doesn't do it for me, Miami is well outside my comfort zone in so many ways, and over all that the whole concept may even be in danger of becoming it's own parody and ending up as the next big cliche - but the inspirational point still stands that simple bits of railway don't neccesarily mean boring bits of railway...

None of them are what I want to do.

Now - some of this *is* undoubtedly transitory and related to what's in my head at the moment - would I pick the same ones in a months time, or a year? Maybe, maybe not. There are certainly plenty of others - some of which did/do relate to my actual modelling genre at various times - Maidstone Barracks/Tonbridge WY/Acton Mainline all showed the everyday railway of the time which most modellers/enthusiasts were saying wasn't worth looking at - my experience working with New Annington then taught me that modelling that everyday stuff first is important in creating something that looks believable - there are more, but are any of those more or less important than the ones I picked? Ask me next week and i've no idea what i'd say! ;)

• Like 1

Its is an interesting point Tim, "Inspiring" and "great" to me are very different things.

An inspirational layout will be one that makes me want to model something similar or along the same line hence why I chose the 3 I did as they all cover similar time period to that I model.

I can appreciate great layouts that don't fit this genre but they don't inspire me to model that prototype or layout. An example of the latter that springs to mind was I saw a fantastic broad gauge O scale layout at Northampton a few years ago. In my eyes it was fantastic layout and while I was in awe of the efforts the builder had gone to, it hasn't inspired me to model broad gauge steam.

I'll agree that great ≠ inspirational, although, obviously, they are not mutually exclusive.

For me, on the whole, inpirational layouts inspire me to built, in general, with no necessity of having anything in common with my chosen scale, location, period or design. They just give me a burst of enthusiasm to get some modelling done. Possibly the broad gauge layout you mention has done that for you?

Obviously some models do directly inspire me and again this can transcend scale, location, period and design. Just as an example, the way a scene is framed by buildings and trees can be pretty much universal across scale, location and period so can be an inspiration for you whatever your particular interests. Likewise the US multi diorama layout I gave as an example inspires me to use the concept but set in a different country, in a different scale (although about the same period) and also with the scenes much smaller.

(I think Martyn probably explained it the concept in this paragraph better than me!)

• RMweb Premium

I have never forgotten the first photograph I ever saw that had me wondering if I was looking at a model or the real thing. That was a photo of a Britannia crossing a river on Dunwich, in MRJ many years ago. That was my biggest ever piece of inspiration - it showed me that it was possible to achieve near reality, and for me that is the main objective in my modelling. So, Dunwich is emphatically number one for me. Number two is another vote for Borchester, which came very close to my ideal at a time when it was much more difficult to do so. Finally Chee Tor, a superb example of "railway in landscape", which is the other element I have always aspired to.

Yep, remember Harry very well, did he ever have a fag out of his mouth? Is it in private hands now?

Harry only had a fag out of his mouth when he was in the rochdale clubrooms, mainly because we banned him from smoking there! He won the MMRS Championship Cup for that row of cottages you saw and was justifyably proud of it. After he died (the fags contribued to that) Trevor Hughes and myself cleared his workshop out - he had a stunning model of Todmorden station building in 7mm (Geoff Taylor took over the commission from that) but unfortunately just before he passed away the cat jumped on it and it was in a few pieces.

Gauxholme is now owned by a former RMRG club member, Gerry Ogden.

Incidentally my top 3 (and being fair and not including Manchester and Rochdale club / members layouts)

Retford - Mr J & associates

Pempoul - Gordon and Maggie Gravett

But my all time No1, Petherick by Barry Norman

It wasn't until I'd finally decided on my selection that I noticed it was apparent that, unwittingly, I had made such a choice - it certainly wasn't a conscious decision. But then I guess that's the nature of 'inspiration'. If the question had been what do you consider are the greatest three layouts, or perhaps the most realistic ones, then my answers would be different.

G.

North Shields: mainly because everything has a purpose (and just happens to be fantastically well modelled into the bargain)

Bramblewick: mainly because it's a work of art

Pulborough: mainly because of the realistic timetable/train movements

Difficult to pick just 3!!

Had to think realy hard on this one but..

Chee Tor

The attention to scenic detail, made this a real show stopper.

Borchester market,

Operating realism

South shields

North shilds

Atmosphere

edit. Oppppps wrong side of the river, Sorry for any offence, I know how these things matter !!.

Gary

Edited by sixteen 12by 10s

• RMweb Premium

1 - Tonbridge West Yard, saw it first in the Model Rail supplement of Rail Magazine and inspired me to move on from running out of the box stuff to detailing and repainting a Lima Class 33 in Dutch colours, never looked back after that! I remember making a special effort to go to a show to see the layout in the flesh.

2 - Acton Main Line, modern image on a grand scale. Could easily stand there for hours watching the trains go by!

3 - Joint third place here with two LB&SCR subjects, Rowfant and Pulborough. Simply sublime masterpieces helped by the fact I know the latter location well and work through it regularly.

My top three have also all been mentioned already.

1 Buckingham - I found this rivetting when I was a lad. Almost totally scratch built by one person over many years is certainly inspirational in my book.

2 Garsdale Road - With this layout I realised the sort of railway I would like to build - a simple through station where I could watch the trains go by.

3 Stoke Summit - For similar reasons to those above except that, here, they dispensed with the station altogether. Also, over the years, I've got to know the guys who built it well and consider them good friends.

• RMweb Gold

As a young reader of RM and the other mags, it wasn't so much the brilliant layouts that inspired me as the ones that seemed within range of my abilities, even if I didn't have the time, space or money to realise them. For instance, there was no doubt when I saw the pics of Barry Norman's Windlesham Cove that this was an amazing model, truly realistic and convincing. But, I couldn't see how I could ever attain that level of skill, so it might as well have been a Rembrandt as far as I was concerned.

On the other hand, I remember being constantly inspired by Linfield, the layout that was featured quite often in Model Trains magazine, with updates showing the changes and improvements made by the builder. It was built in a room that was not massively bigger than my garden shed layout, so I could relate to it and draw inspiration from the track plan and the arrangement of sidings and so on. It wasn't finescale - from recollection, the track wasn't even ballasted to begin with - but it looked realistic to my impressionable eyes.

I was also impressed by Hebden Junction (I think I've got the name right) - a big BR-era junction station with an LNWR/MR theme that featured in the Model Railway Constructor Annual in 1981, and much later in Railway Modeller. I've only seen those two articles, but the layout has always struck a chord with me because of its grimy look and impressive through station. Again, not finescale, but convincing all the same.

Beyond that, I'm not sure, but it might be Westford, which is still on the exhibition circuit and always impresses with its depiction of a busy main line terminus.

Wibdenshaw. No question.

The most inspiring layout ever in my opinion.

I hope that I have the skills, finances, capacity and wherewithall to build something as amazing as that layout when I retire.

Alex

• RMweb Gold

My top 2 are easy picks:

North Shields - Chris Pendleton's masterpiece;

Bramblewick - Tom Harland's work of art.

After that it gets difficult to pick from any number of Ian Futers layouts, Peter Kazer's narrow gauge layouts (especially Corris), Steve Flint's Kyle of Tongue and Reighton, Keir Hardy's Wibdenshaw, and Iain Rice's various inspirational efforts - especially Butley Mills and Orford Haven. Pulborough, and Ferring, also.

However, my final vote has to go to Steve Howe's Roseladden Wharf, which was instrumental in inspiring me to pursue finer standards - and thanks also due to Steve for his (probably unwitting) encouragement to a spotty teenage oik while I watched his lovely layout at various shows in Yorkshire in the late 80s.

I've deliberately only picked layouts I've actually seen "in the timber", rather than in the press or on the web. I suspect that some of the more recent additions to the circuit, particularly Portchullin and Burntisland, would be pushing the top 3 these days..

I think, that of the layouts I have been involved with, the following are what inspire me to continue to model. They are NOT what I base Long Marton on, but are true inspiration:

1. Central Ontario Railway, Model Railway Club of Toronto. O gauge, and I can remember going to see it in March several times when I was a wee one. (probably 7-9 years old)

2. The double track version of the Platelayers portable layout (Ontario). I first started exibiting with this layout- probably in the evening at The Hobby Show in 1985 or 86. I was there with Toronto Society of Model Engineers, but got an invite. Took me more from model engineering world and into the model railway world. Dad still dispises tin mice :). (He's supportive, but...)

3. Pacific Northwest Lego Train Club. One of the first LTC's, and a huge inspiration. The quality of modelers involved is huge, given the limitations of the medium.

James

Hi All.

If I can have 3 Steam and 3 Diesel it may help - so here's my selection - Although I have been Inspired by many many more.

Borchester Market - Frank Dyer

Hursley - Martyn Welch

Okeminster - Trevor James

Engineers Yard Layout - Terry Oakley

Oldham King Street - David Hampson

Willaston Road - John Humphries

Cheers.

Bob.

I seem to go through phases but was largely inspired by railways that seemed to go somewhere and serve a purpose.

Formative years 1970s Railway Modeller Articles Derek Naylor's Aire Valley Adventure

The West Highland Mallaig extension in N

Castle Rackrent

Middling Years the late lamented Model Railways & fledgling MRJ

Anything by Iain Rice.

Eastwell Ironstone.

1990s Model Railroader The Virginnia and Ohio & anything by Tony Koster

The Internet N Scale One Trak Modules.

How has this translated into my own modelling? Apart from one or two short periods I seldom had the time of space to build a layout that went somewhere and had purpose. I realised this twice in N Scale in very different idioms in the 1980s my own version of Castle Rackrent based on the then current CIE practice, 20 years later a walk around North American scheme with several townss and a largissh yard.

While my primary interest is in building models, I have probaably realised my own Aire Valley or Tregarrick with the Jackson County Narrow Gauge American or possibly Australasian G Scale garden railway that sometimes operates as an end to end.

John