Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Which layouts have really inspired you?

PGN

Just 3 layouts?

Ok.

West Coast Main Line (where I live now)

Anglia Main LIne (which I used to commute on)

Colchester-Clacton line (which I could see from my bedroom window until the age of 13 when I moved).

Ok, so if you don't count the real thing, then no layouts at all.

I do take a little from many layouts when I see what can be/has been done.

So obvously I am building a West London layout :wacko:

Just 3 layouts?

Ok.

West Coast Main Line (where I live now)

Anglia Main LIne (which I used to commute on)

Colchester-Clacton line (which I could see from my bedroom window until the age of 13 when I moved).

Ok, so if you don't count the real thing, then no layouts at all.

I do take a little from many layouts when I see what can be/has been done.

So obvously I am building a West London layout :wacko:

I thought Chaston Street inspired you.;);)

1. Pendon

2. Pendon

3. Pendon

(not that I am biased...)

Pendon for me is the ultimate, not because of the theme (although I am a partisan GWR modeller), but because Pendon has that rare ability to not only look "right" but also - when photographed well - makes you say "that's not a model, it's real"

Something I strive to achieve in my modelling (one can but hope...)

F

Pendon is an excellent model, but only partly inspirational, and that's for the quality only, but you could never say 'I'm gonna try something of that size', it is just simply mind blowing, and leaves most of us behind. Quite frankly I want to build a layout that takes less than a lifetime to get near completion :) .

• RMweb Premium

Hmm

been thinking about this one for a while. Some cracking layouts already mentioned which are definitely in my top 10 but my top 3 are:

1: Exebridge Quay by Dave Rowe. I saw this at Bristol as a teenager and it blew me away. The standard of modelling was superb. The real water, working telescopic bridge and the presentation (remember the tent?) had a real impact.

2: Cornwallis Yard by my late friend Bob Haskins. Bob introduced me to the world of EM modelling. He was our local area group secretary and I had the fortune of seeing him build his split level layout based on a slice of the Millbay branch. After his untimely death, I had the privilege of helping others with its completion. The layout's now in the hands of new owners and still on the circuit. It includes some very clever design features which I've copied on Wheal Elizabeth.

3: This is a toughie because I'd like a fourth choice! Petherick by Barry Norman has certainly been inspirational for its ground breaking scenic works but I was never fortunate enough to see it, so I'm going to plump for Kentside by Karl Crowther. Karl's another member of our local EM group and I've always been inspired by his standard of modelling. His compromise point is a lot later than mine and this has inspired me to slow down! I now look more critically at what I do and don't settle for 'that'll do' as early as I used to. I guess it's all about enjoying the journey and not worrying about arriving at the destination in the shortest time possible.

Guest dilbert

Pendon is an excellent model, but only partly inspirational, and that's for the quality only, but you could never say 'I'm gonna try something of that size', it is just simply mind blowing, and leaves most of us behind. Quite frankly I want to build a layout that takes less than a lifetime to get near completion :) .

One of the inspirational things about Pendon is what Roye England achieved - in modelling terms the standards are still outstanding, but what is different is the fact that quite a few modellers from all over the place have contributed in their own way to create this 'layout'.. Pendon wouldn't exist (as we know it) without those individual/collective commitments... dilbert

PIcking three layouts only is difficult as there are so many very good ones out there. But here is my threepence worth.

1. Penhallick - 61 ft of the North Cornwall Line by Mel Rees and Jerry Winterson

2. Borchester Market by the late Frank Dyer

3. Portchullin - the atmospheric Kyle line layouot by Mark Tatlow.

All layouts I could happily stand and just watch the trains go by.

I "came back" to model railways as a result of seeing Allied Marine. It still remains the one layout I would like to have owned.

Whetstone was the layout that really inspired me into P4.

The MRCs Uxbridge S gauge layout was the one to convince me to actually go with what I had always wanted to do and model the Met.

The last 2 are why I am building a P4 Met/GC layout (and have been for about 18 years, and it's still nowhere near finished :rolleyes: )

• Like 1

If anyone has links to their inspirations - it would be great to see some online if possible.

Strictly speaking my main inspiration was Reading Station in real life, which is what I am modelling, but being a new N-gauger and short on experience of what can really be achieved at this scale, I definitely benefitted from seeing other people's layouts.

My three are:

Kinlet Wharf

Ring Road

David Shepherd's layout

I saw Kinlet Wharf at the 2009 N Gauge Show and was definitely inspired. I had in mind that I wanted a long run through countryside on an elevated section, and I also wanted to model a river or canal. This super layout showed me just how good it could look and helped galvanize my ideas and my track plan. It is by Wakefield RMS.

http://www.wakefieldrms.org/Exhibition2002/Exhibition2002J.html

The other layout that captured my imagination was Ring Road by David Lund, also in N gauge. It is a modern image elevated section running through a town and this inspired me to see what a unique layout can be created by scratchbuilding the modern buildings, and made me think seriously about recreating some of Reading town's 1970s concrete. It was shown in Model Rail 145 (July 2010) and will be at Trainwest in April 2011.

http://www.n-gauge.org/

I also loved the article on David Shepherd's TT-gauge layout in Model Rail 132 (July 2009). The scenery is exquisite and I really like the idea of balancing trains and landscape - having the trains fit into the landscape. That is really inspirational modelling.

An interesting array of choices, and divers reasons for modelling railways.

Personally, I cannot see the point in modelling what you can still go out and see for real, hence I have little interest in Pendelinos and Meridians - except for actually travelling in comfort on!

The challenge to myself is to try to recreate a moving slice of history, so that at least I can see a glimpse for what it might have looked like, if I could have seen it in person. Even so, a lot of imagination is required. This is I think what drives me more than anything else - I am neither an engineer or technician, and probably explains why I model in 2mm because it is an overall picture which I am seeking.

The research required is at times frustrating, but uncovering things which are little known today makes it all worthwhile; and sharing ideas with those of a similar mind IS inspirational.

Regards,

Chris

Milborne Junction - I was a junior member of Poole MRS in the mid 60s and it taught me that an exhibition layout is there for the public who pay to be entertained.

Torpoint - was it by John Harrison ? This taught me that railway modelling is and should be fun.

Hursley because it is just SO realistic.

How can anyone norrow this down to three layouts?

Mine would be:

North Shields - Got me back into railway modelling when I read the article in MRJ #40something. Although I've never seen this layout in the flesh (and one of my greatest regrets in life will be missing it at the Newcastle show when I was a penniless student) it made me realise that a convincing model has to have a story, a narrative, a purpose that rises above te compromises and fiction that lack of space, time or money forces on all (OK, most...) of us. Above all, it's a personal expression, something that captures the heart and soul of the builder. It also helps that the builder is a jolly nice bloke and always willing to help out and give advice when asked.

Halifax King Cross - Superb atmosphere and running. Same comments as above really, except that when I first saw it (Nottingham 1996?) it transfixed me for hours.

Canada Road - A bit different this one in that it is a simple concept that allows a great deal of expression. The idea of creating a space that can be almost anywhere in the (industrial) country, with stock to suit, really appeals to me. The attention to detail is also just superb.

Honourable mentions to Pempoul, High Dyke, Scotland Street, Wibdenshaw, Carron Road, Inkerman Street, Sweethome Chicago, Walker Marine and Bramblewick. I guess this backs up Jim S-W's point about inspiration coming from the real thing, even if black and white images are my only reference. At the end of the day, a model that sticks in my memory is one that contains something uniquely personal to the builder.

Above all, though, it's gotta be fun!

DIESEL:

as a chiild \ teenager:

KYLE OF TONGUE

WHEATSONE BRIDGE (MMRS)

RUNSWICK LEAMSIDE & BOLDON JUNC

As an Adult

TETLEYS MILLS & WIBDENSHAW & CANADA ROAD & FARKHAM & BLACKMILLS

Steam:

Colquarn engine shed (can't remember spelling)

Gauxholme Viaduct (I cut my teeth on this and what a baptism of fire it was when my Lima 37 took the paint off all the finescale chairs!)

Halifax Kings Cross

Paignton (not sure its exact name but a marvelous vista)

Chee Tor (train in landscape)

Not read the whole thread, but for me 3 stand out:

1 Stoke Summit - Got me back into model railways when i saw it at Romford some years back, simple but so real

2 Halifax Kings Cross, saw it in old Model Railway Journal

3 Hendre Lane, again so real in a small space.

Plus another just sprang to mind - Catcott Burtle, saw it at Aylesbury - WOW

OOPS Sorry only allowed three, better scrub out the last one :D

My top 3 for "inspiration" would have to be :

1 - Tonbridge West Yard - Paul Wade

2 - Maidstone Barracks (Anyone else remember that one?)- Paul Wade

3 - Burlington Northern empire modelled by Tim Dickinson

Happy Modelling :)

Matt

Yes. I remember Maidstone Barracks (I do believe the guy who built it is - or was - on RMWeb) I saw it in a Railway Modeller I picked up once from somewhere. I spent hours reading through it and studying the photographs. My planned layout will be SR third rail as a result.

Just one layout inspired me to start - that was Total N Gauge's exhibition layout at last year's Norwich Model Exhibition, as it confirmed N gauge was a go-er for me in the space I had, and the level of detail more than matched an 00 layouts I'd seen, another aspect I've carried into my layout. It also showed the amount of modern image stock available.

1 - London Road. In the 1980's, it showed me that modelling the elegance of Edwardian Railways, and in particular the LNWR, in 4 mm was possible and that P4 was a practical proposition.

2 - Bramblewick. Because it's beautifully observed and modelled in all aspects. It has even turned me on to the the NER a little bit.

3 - Chee Tor. Because I feel it showed how 2mm or N gauge can be used to model the railway in a large landscape, which is something rarely achieved in other scales. If I ever were to take up 2mm/N gauge, this layout would be the reason.

It is a pity we are only allowed three. There are many other layouts out there that also inspire me, some when seen in the flesh and some when carefully photographed and reproduced in a magazine.