Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Which layouts have really inspired you?

PGN

Guest Max Stafford

As a youngster getting into the hobby in the late 1970s, I was thrilled by my old club (EK)s Nerston Junction and such was its influence and inspiration that had I the space I'd do a finescale tribute to it! :) Thanks guys, you know who you are!

In more recent times I've been particularly inspired by Geoff Kent's fantastic Blakeney and the Stainmore Summit layout which has been gracing the circuit.

Other noble contenders include Culreoch and the trilogy of Alloa-inspired layouts.

Oh, and Portchuillin is lovely too!

Dave.

I can think of two that "inspired" me - that is made me realize that it was possible to do better. They both date back to the late sixties.

1. "Eastbourne" by Mrs. V Thompson

2. "Haverthwaite" by Ross Pochin

They did not make me want to copy them.

Anyone know what happened to these? Was Eastbourne ever finished?

Best, Pete.

For me inspiration from other layouts came not from thinking I'll copy that. With Borchester it was a case of "Blimey, he models the railway of today and he uses Letraset for BR cabside numerals and inks them in yellow" (there were no P C Models transfers at the time). Little things like that were the lift-off for me to doing my own bit of 1950's BR. The industrially weathered stonework on Gravy Trains L&Y layout definitely provided the inspiration to emulate the finish on my LNWR layout.

Torreyford

Buckingham

Borchester

Non of them became wound up by the how fine the detail was,etc. If they needed a loco or stock type for a particular train, they went and built one rather than waiting for a rtr.

And above all these layouts show us all how to have enjoyment by playing trains.

All the owners of the above lived to a ripe old age so they must have done something right.

Everytime a re read about the above it reminds me this is a hobby, do not take it too seriously and don't let it become an obsession.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2

I'm taking inspiration here to mean modellers' approaches to the hobby, as manifested in their layouts for sure, but it's parts of their philosophy that have made me look at how things can be done, not their gauge, era or location per se.

Ben Alder's Kylesku & The Mound has caused me to reflect on how a layout can be laid out (!!!) to afford good photographic opportunities. The snail's pace of development of mine is, in part, down to this desire to have a lot of good vantage points linked together so I can enjoy linesiding with a beer as the scenic side comes together. Thanks Richard for allowing us inside your miniature world at the times of best natural light smile.gif

Catcott Burtle for teaching the valuable lesson that it's not about having masses of stock, being a DCC nerd, or knitting one's own free-range wheelsets to achieve great things, it's about capturing the signature features of a time and place, to convey the real essence of a prototype. The additional inspiration here, for me at least, is that Chris wasn't a train enthusiast first and foremost, as far as I understand it. That standpoint has enabled me to regard the process of achieving realism from a new perspective, that of the modelled whole, not just 'was 25086 vac brake only when it worked 8L76 on 14th June 1978?' Thanks Chris for your different perspective on what creates a convincing model.

Ring Road because of its relentless progress, pushing to achieve a conclusion yet willing, sometimes, to accept placeholders and compromise when a challenge threatened to hold up the project unacceptably. Another great inspiraton, in a completely different gauge from my home turf, so thanks David for - way back when - being something of a role model for just plain getting up outta the armchair and getting on with some actual modelling for a change.

PS - bowler-tip to the ScR diesel transition crew of course, without whom etc.... You know who you are cool.gif

Guest LNER Tom

No suprise with me, layouts that have inspired me are of Eastern Region Heritage.

Tony Wright's Stoke Summit, for modelling an expanse of main line has to be up there, but in recent months I'd say Shipley's Leicester has to be up there regarding the industrial look in areas.....and how could any ECML modeller not be indepted to Roy Jackson's Retford!

Our very own Great Northern and his first Peterborough North has to be included also! :)

Tom

• Like 1

My top 3 for "inspiration" would have to be :

1 - Tonbridge West Yard - Paul Wade

2 - Maidstone Barracks (Anyone else remember that one?)- Paul Wade

3 - Burlington Northern empire modelled by Tim Dickinson

Happy Modelling :)

Matt

• RMweb Gold

I can think of two that "inspired" me - that is made me realize that it was possible to do better. They both date back to the late sixties.

1. "Eastbourne" by Mrs. V Thompson

2. "Haverthwaite" by Ross Pochin

They did not make me want to copy them.

Anyone know what happened to these? Was Eastbourne ever finished?

No info on whether Eastbourne was ever finished, but in the late '80s, when Deb was a member of the BR Board's Public Affairs Committee, there was a visit to some sort of exhibition of railway architecture, no doubt put on by the Board's Chief Architect. A number of models were on show, and Deb spotted some by Mrs Thompson, and when she enquired about them, was promptly introduced to the lady herself. I was so jealous!

For me it's quite simple; after several years of planning & deliberation (well that sounds better than procrastination), my inspiration came from Missy's Highclere, Mitziblue's Witney Euston, Queensquare's Highbury Colliery, and Mick Simpson's Wansbeck Road. All these are 2mm layouts and they convinced me that moving away from an RTR N gauge solution was not only possible, but actually in the long-term probably a lot more straightforward than feared.

Since then, with many hours usefully spent browsing RMweb (again NOT procrastinating...) I have seen many outstanding layouts in various stages of construction and the development of numerous rolling stock that keeps the mojo refreshed!

Long may it continue :D

Edit: Apologies that I didn't read the instructions of naming 3 only... :O; on reflection I stand by my choice of 4 as they were/are equally inspiring ;)

1. Roy Jackson's Retford

2. The Gresley Beat

3. Sutton Dock (Tony Gee)

The first two as principally being the era and atmosphere I want to create one day - if I do half as well as either of those two layouts, I'd be happy. The third was watching and observing techniques and development on here for the 2010 layout challenge.

All three are superb, and show different and much varied ways of modelling.

No info on whether Eastbourne was ever finished, but in the late '80s, when Deb was a member of the BR Board's Public Affairs Committee, there was a visit to some sort of exhibition of railway architecture, no doubt put on by the Board's Chief Architect. A number of models were on show, and Deb spotted some by Mrs Thompson, and when she enquired about them, was promptly introduced to the lady herself. I was so jealous!

Thanks, Ian. I might have realized that Viv Thompson's "Eastbourne" would have been on your list too! Her buildings were particularly sublime. I had thought she might have passed away prematurely.....

Best, Pete

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Interesting topic, and some interesting responses.

The layout that started it all for me was Acton Mainline - the N Gauge layout produced by Croydon MRC. I saw it at a London Model Engineering exhibition in 1996 I think and the attention to detail and realistic depiction of things that interest me (heavy freight, mainline standard gauge, weathering, clutter etc) got me looking seriously at taking up N Gauge model railways as a hobby.

A short time later I saw Chee Tor, and it confirmed my appreciation of 2mm/N for modelling landscapes, and railways in them.

Tonbridge West Yard would be my third - especially the beautifully observed and modelled stock.

There have been many layouts since that I have given me enormous enjoyment, and inspired me to look again at certain aspects of my own modelling, but it was seeing the three layouts above, in the first months as I was "rediscovering" the hobby, that cemented my interest.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Difficult one this - so many to choose from! But if it has to be three, then

Chiltern Green & Luton Hoo - the first time I can remember seeing a model railway in a proper landscape setting.

Allied Marine - another first, this time a convincingly modelled industrial system

My favourite and the one that inspires and influences me the most is, without a doubt, North Shields. Pure unadultared North East England, oozing atmosphere and brilliant authentic operation. Unlike the other two, I've only ever read about it in MRJ (I was out of the country for the fabled MRJ Show), but Chris Pendlenton's writing and convincing back stories really bring it alive. I'd love to see it 'in the flesh'.

Ralph

Lambton58

1) Stoke Summit, as it's been a great inspiration, and I've been lucky enough to operate it a few times.

2) Rowlands Castle, dunno why,maybe a bit different, I just like it.

3) Ditchling Green, the layout that made me sit-up, and take 7mm seriously.

It is quite an interesting topic to raise, for me its about layouts that represent BR blue diesels in the 70's in that I can relate to them more than any other type of layout:

1) Easington lane, I first saw it many years ago at a time when fantatsic BR blue layouts weren't as prevalent as they are now, and was inspired by the run down atmosphere

2) Wibdenshaw, the consitent quality and interest across a layout of that size captivated me the first time I saw it.

3) Mostyn, I was fortunate enough to have a go on it a few years ago and was amazed by the levels the guys were willing to go to.

Borchester/ Borchester Market

High Dyke

Petherick

These were all layouts from my formative years of modelling and shaped much of my thinking which has stuck since. If I were atarting out now, it would be a very different list with Wibdenshaw and Dewsbury very high up in it

Except that much of what is modelled does not now exist.

But you can still model 'the real thing' from photos, maps etc.

Thanks, Ian. I might have realized that Viv Thompson's "Eastbourne" would have been on your list too! Her buildings were particularly sublime. I had thought she might have passed away prematurely.....

Vivien Thompson is still around as far as I know, she had a feature in RM a couple of years ago of her version of 'Eridge' - which I found profoundly disappointing given her previous work. Regrettably I never saw Eastbourne.

My three:

David Jenkinson's 'Marthwaite' - not just for the layout itself, but for the concept of engineering a 'might-have-been' into the real landscape.

Martin Brent's 'Hope Mill' - quirky SR steam locos and EMUs in a rural setting, also used AJ couplings. A lovely man too, good to chat to, RIP.

Roy Jackson (and team)'s 'Dunwich' - always entertaining, lots of action, an object lesson in how to run an exhibition layout.

Without any doubt the first model railway layout to inspire me was a BLT called "Bangthorn" which was in the Meccano Magazine in 1965 or 6. The first layout I built (as opposed to Dad)

was largely based on it. It had never occurred to me that trains did not have to go in circles! Funny how times change-I will only have a tail-chaser now.

By far the most impressive layout I have ever seen was Tebay. Based on a prototype, but what a prototype. Junction, branch lines, loco shed, crack expresses with top link loco's, my favourite period, trains stopping for bankers etc. Mostly though, for exhibition purposes it told you what was going on for every movement. Brilliant!

The third is a lot more difficult. I think I will give another vote to Buckingham though. As has been said it was nearly all scratch built by one man, and again every move had a purpose. Mostly though because I had the pleasure of meeting the builder and helping to operate the layout once. He was a lovely bloke.

Ed

Hi all - my inspirations are from Railway Modellers and Layouts from Model Rail Scotland of the past

1) Avondale, Waterfoot & Creston. Railway Modeller Nov 1970

2) Chester Joint, Railway Modeller 1963(ish)

3) Elderslie - Renfrewshire Model Railway Club,

I always liked my layouts to be entertaining and I like to see internsive operation, the small branch line layout, and especially the depot layout are not my cup of tea at all, hence the inspiration resulted in Northbridge and Gateside.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Copenhagen Fields - Buildings are amazing

all N Guage

Ohhh that might cause a few raised eyebrows biggrin.gif Lovely layout though no matter what is said.