Heljan Baby Deltic

Burkitt

Any body any ideas how long until these hit the shelves?? although i cant remember which one i pre ordered....

On or after 1 June according to my sources. It would now appear to be the latter. The main suppliers usually notify about a week or so ahead of delivery if you’re on their mailing lists. Also my credit card is normally debited at least a week before dispatch and so far, nothing, which is not surprising in the grand scheme of things. According to Heljan it’s ‘available’, so my guess is it must be in the Copenhagen Tunnel somewhere!

On or after 1 June according to my sources. It would now appear to be the latter. The main suppliers usually notify about a week or so ahead of delivery if you’re on their mailing lists. Also my credit card is normally debited at least a week before dispatch and so far, nothing, which is not surprising in the grand scheme of things. According to Heljan it’s ‘available’, so my guess is it must be in the Copenhagen Tunnel somewhere!

Thanks for that, just getting a bit impatiant now! might give Frizinghall a ring and see if the know anything, a nd which one iv ordered!

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking the exact same thing, Hattons have recently changed the release date for the Class 28 to July , it looks like the Baby Deltics will be delivered at the same time as the release dates seemed to follow each other, its probably to avoid two seperate shipping charges for Heljan.

Paul

• 1 month later...

News Update taken from Heljan website - dated 4th August 2011:

'OO' class 23 'Baby Deltic'

We apologise for the delayed release of this product which has been caused by the need to correct the livery samples we have received. We are now assured these keenly awaited models will be with us end September.

As you may already know, these are all 'pre-sold' but the next batch of these locos are expected in December. Details of these can be found on on our web as well as at your local Heljan retailer - don't delay in placing your order!

I got this for each one ordered:

Hello

We thought you may like to know that an item you have on order with us, on order id xxxxxxx, has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Heljan UK 2300 Class 23 Baby Deltic diesel D5900 in BR Green livery with Small Yellow Panels and 4 character headcode. £96.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Thursday 1st September 2011

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. This information is to be used as a guide only.

We hope that this email has been useful.

Regards

Retail Team

Hattons Model Railways

Kernow have the Baby Deltic listed as a late September early October release date, probably to be released with the Hattons 28. On a more positive note Heljan are releasing a further 4 livery and number variations to be released in December 2304-2307, 2307 being a br blue weathered variant. Hopefully a good sign the original version will be announced at Warley for next year, fingers crossed

PS.Looks like you'll be spending another £400 Baby Deltic.

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Seems strange that a company capable of designing the Deltics and Class 20s should also come up with the 40s, 37s and Baby Deltics. Was it something to do with BR influence, or 2 separate design offices, I wonder?

EE also had D. Napier under its belt. The class 20, 37 and 40 all used variants of EE's Vee form SVT power unit but none of them were in the type 2 power range, which EE wanted to build a contender for. The 8 SVT was heavy and didn't pack enough grunt to meet the type 2 requirements, whereas the Napier T9-29 nine cylinder Deltic engine had 1,100hp and the power unit only weighed around 11 tons. Had EE used an uprated 8SVT instead, the loco may well have turned out way too heavy. It appears that EE were lulled into a false sense of security by the relatively lightweight Deltic engine and miscalculated the total weight of all the other materials involved, meaning that the first Baby Deltics exceeded the maximum axle loadings stipulated by BR. EE had to then go about cutting out metal where possible and fitting lighter components to try and reduce the weight of the loco's by several tons to meet BR's requirements.

It does seem rather a strange choice to fit such a complex power unit to a type 2 locomotive, but, then again, the larger prototype Deltic had proven that the Deltic engine could cope with rail traction usage.

• Like 2

EE also had D. Napier under its belt. The class 20, 37 and 40 all used variants of EE's Vee form SVT power unit but none of them were in the type 2 power range, which EE wanted to build a contender for. The 8 SVT was heavy and didn't pack enough grunt to meet the type 2 requirements, whereas the Napier T9-29 nine cylinder Deltic engine had 1,100hp and the power unit only weighed around 11 tons. Had EE used an uprated 8SVT instead, the loco may well have turned out way too heavy. It appears that EE were lulled into a false sense of security by the relatively lightweight Deltic engine and miscalculated the total weight of all the other materials involved, meaning that the first Baby Deltics exceeded the maximum axle loadings stipulated by BR. EE had to then go about cutting out metal where possible and fitting lighter components to try and reduce the weight of the loco's by several tons to meet BR's requirements.

It does seem rather a strange choice to fit such a complex power unit to a type 2 locomotive, but, then again, the larger prototype Deltic had proven that the Deltic engine could cope with rail traction usage.

Sorry - it was really the appearance I was referring to, not the innards!

I think the appearance goes back to the LMS prototypes 10000/1. The classic design with a nose and three front windows was probably the flavour of the period. The Deltic had a higher nose, plus with the export market in mind, it had a decidedly North American appearance akin to a US 'F' Unit, complete with headlight.

The class 20, being a single cab 'hood' design, had its own unique styling anyway. Classes 23, 40, and the later class 37 seem to use a standard EE cab design.

• Like 2