Heljan Baby Deltic

Burkitt

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Whilst it looks like a BD compared to the image of 5901 on wikipedia it is apparent that the small cab 'a ' window does not quite meet a point, the area under the cab door is a bit out and the circular gauge near the nose end could be larger.

These apart and so long as their is no repeat of the clayton motor issue it will do for me. Just a note that the Heljan 15 is my best runner on circle st!!

Paul

Just bear in mind that the images are of 'pre-production' livery samples that were sent for approval and subsequently rejected. The final samples have not yet arrived for approval.

I figured that was a reject because of the print. The silver kick plate under the cab doors looks a bit shallow, as does the light green area.

Just bear in mind that the images are of 'pre-production' livery samples that were sent for approval and subsequently rejected...

They can reject it in my direction any time! Much better than I could build for myself, and has all the character of the pretty little original. Such a shame that the prototype's mechanical gubbins inside let it down.

• 2 months later...
Guest Max Stafford

And some more news just in; Merseyside merchants of marvellous modelling magic Hattons; have just emailed me to announce the official start of the Heljan dainty deltic mini-me's tour of the UK with the first gig in Liverpool Smithdown Road Palladium on Wednesday, June the first.

That's ping-pong! B)

Dave.

Not wanting to put too much of a damper on things folks but the final livery application still has not been approved for production. There have been some issues and in an endeavour to get it as near perfect as possible it has been neccessary to reject the latest samples of this week. However things are getting better and hopefully the next samples received will be good enough to allow production to commence. There has been some fairly strict quality control concerning this model which hopefully will reflect on the finished product when finally released soon. Patience is a virtue!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Looks good. Only thing I can point out is that the axle boxes don't seem to line up with the wheel centres?

Hi bluex5

I think the camera sometimes creates that illusion that things don't quite line up. I've taken a few more shots and got as close as my camera can manage and I don't think that there is a problem with alignment. Looking at the Bachmann Class 20, which shares the same type of bogie design, there appears to be no fault with either model and I suggest that sometimes the angle from which you view creates this misalignment illusion. There is also some fair axle play in both models which obviously helps steer the models around the track. Both models match up identically with wheel spacing and bogie frame length which scale down exactly from the prototype. Hopefully this puts your mind at rest?

post-4697-0-55236800-1306149879_thumb.jpg

post-4697-0-06658300-1306149907_thumb.jpg

post-4697-0-05898100-1306149929_thumb.jpg

post-4697-0-53642800-1306149961_thumb.jpg

post-4697-0-70187500-1306149991_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The bogie side frames on the BD look excellent. I've always thought the ones on the Bachmann 20 were rather poor.

So, will the 20 body fit the BD chassis?

Redgate Models is absolutely correct, however you may be able to get the Heljan bogie side-frames as spares in the future so not really a prohibitive task.

Redgate Models is absolutely correct, however you may be able to get the Heljan bogie side-frames as spares in the future so not really a prohibitive task.

I should also mention that this version of the class 23 has been modelled without sandboxes on the bogies as these were mostly removed soon after refurbishment.

Thanks Brushveteran, from the other views you were kind enough to post I'm happy it's just a quirk of the angle your initial shot was taken from, as it looks fine otherwise. Can't wait to see the GSYP version, IMHO that paintscheme flatters the bodyshape much better than full yellow ends (although I can't see anything glaringly wrong with the body shape).

• 3 weeks later...