Heljan Baby Deltic

Burkitt

Now that sounds incredible! Thanks for the link Phil! I'm looking forward to enjoying this crazy beast in the metal at some - hopefully not too distant - future occasion!

And well done to Heljan and the BD recreationists for stimulating a mutual wave of interest in this curious and rarefied species! :sungum:

• Like 2

I've taken the plunge and bought one too. It's lovely.

What I found interesting was my local dealer's display shelves. Only the Green and Blue full yellow ends there. I asked if I could have D5900 in GSYP, and he second guessed me. "Can't shift the other two", he says, "but I've sold 23 GSYP and only have one left".

I never saw the real thing, but my mind can't see the blue one without thinking it's a dumpy 37.

• Like 1

Just think of all those ungrateful commuters who could have regularly savoured the sound of a Baby Deltic screaming through the tunnels from Moorgate on the climb up the Hotel curve into Kings Cross, but instead, complained about the fumes and got them banned. There's no pleasing some people! :no:

• Like 2

For goodness sake - please can you all get a grip!

... Perhaps the "rivet counters" should remember that the wheels of the model are only suitable for rails a scale 4 foot apart. That fact alone puts all other critism to bed!

I do find this sort of indiscriminate tarring of previous posters as 'rivet counters' quite irksome. But anyway Brian, please tell me - because I for one am genuinely interested in your thought process - just what is the substance behind this trite old argument? Is it that because the gauge is out by 2.33mm, therefore an error of up to 2.33mm - plus or minus - anywhere else on a model should be acceptable as well? If manufacturers used that as a yardstick, there'd be some pretty odd looking models about...

Once again, I'll say it - rational discussion of dimensional errors is not a crime. And bizarrely enough, some people (they're called EM or P4 modellers, by the way) are happy to work on models to eliminate that error in the gauge; if they're also prepared to amend any other errors, then they need to talk about those errors first.

I probably have ten or a dozen HJ locos myself; none of them (bar perhaps the Hymek) are perfect and I dont expect them to be. Some things I can live with, others I shall be doing something about. Some of the improvements I've decided on myself, some are based on the thoughts of others - but if nobody had talked about these things, I'd not be able to make that choice.

Edited by Pennine MC
  • Like 5

Guest Max Stafford

Ok the errors are coming to light.

I had my reservations back in the Summer when the pre production model appeared on this thread and contacted HJ with my concerns, But was told, "no it is right", or "we have a few modifications before production".

Some of my personal observations have been:

Roof

Cantrail curvature is wrong, which offsets over problems (a problem also with their 7mm class 37 and something Bachmannn had problems with).

Small cantrail grill comes down to low.

Roof curvature wrong, an offset from the cantrail curvature.

Roof panels wrong lengths

Exhaust and boiler grilles out of position.

Coolant fan grill to big?

Coolant fan grill doesn't line up with coolant side grilles (this mistake has been done before, never trust others drawings).

Bodyside

Tall rectangular grilles are too wide and also sit to high at top.

Engine room door is too high.

Bodyside steps too high.

Nose

D light slightly too low

Headcode box too shallow.

Radius where front of nose meets bodyside is wrong

Nose curvature wrong.

Slope on bonnet is too much.

Also where bonnet meets bodyside, it should line up with bottom of drivers window.

The problem with any model, is when you start looking at a blown up photos of any model, these errors are going to come to light.

I guess their are two types of modeler, those that go to much work and time too get a model correct and those that do a few personal touches and are more than happy with their pride. I believe I fall into the second category and I'm more than happy with my Baby Deltic and from normal viewing its a good looking Baby Deltic to me.

Sorry to be the one, off to the stockade now.

Let's also remember that the actual production class no longer exists now in any case; so in view of there being no three dimensional 'control sample', let's not get hung up too much on perceived discrepancies. Bear this fact in mind along with the realisation that you can rarely trust a workshop drawing any more than you can a newspaper or a political soundbite these days!

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've taken the plunge and bought one too. It's lovely.

What I found interesting was my local dealer's display shelves. Only the Green and Blue full yellow ends there. I asked if I could have D5900 in GSYP, and he second guessed me. "Can't shift the other two", he says, "but I've sold 23 GSYP and only have one left".

I never saw the real thing, but my mind can't see the blue one without thinking it's a dumpy 37.

They looked rather fetching when new although the front end was a bit messy with all the discs etc (they weren't alone in that!) but the cleaned-up front end looked quite good and they were rather attractive in two-tone green. Alas the body style was not, in my view, suited to a single block of colour - be it blue or green. The main thing I can remember about them moving around at the 'Cross was the exhaust smoke - that sticks in my memory far more than the noise.

• Like 1

Noting the long list of "errors" by Trevor H - thank you for that, by the way, allows an informed decision to be made more easily - I'm still coming down on the side of "if I change the headcode characters, then it's perfect". Accepted, for my needs.

Being informed of all that may be wrong in a model is a good thing, so long as it's accepted that it's information people can choose what to do with at the end of the day.

Bearing in mind all of the above, I'm still buying one when funds allow. It looks too much like a Baby Deltic not to. I fear if I don't buy one soon, I will miss out on a GSYP version altogether!

• Like 1

Hi

I've read all the thoughts about the headcode box and the size of the characters. Got the driver to wind them round for a quick freight onto the LM and returned to the ER with a special. Seems OK to me!! :mocking_mini:

Tim

Tim, that second shot is the clincher. I'm having one. The face is 85% for me in life; I can live with the body so long as the face passed muster and the performance is up to scratch. And that phot seals it.

I confess to deleting an earlier post that stated I'd be buying one but replacing the H/C. I won't admit to being a rivet-counter, and I am a Heljan major consumer. The debate thus far has probably enabled £80 or so to be injected into the hobby. Long may there be this sort of thread.

• Like 1

Writing this just after the 2 mins silence - what the hell do any of these "errors" matter REALLY - it's a RTR Baby Deltic which we've never had before - in shape and looks - move on !!

Unbelievable! I can't get to grips with all the negativity above. For goodness sake - please can you all get a grip! The model looks super in the photos and I am seriously considering ordering one (should Hattons' web site sort itself out tonight), despite the windows not lining up with the grills or whatever. Perhaps the "rivet counters" should remember that the wheels of the model are only suitable for rails a scale 4 foot apart. That fact alone puts all other critism to bed! The Hejan mechanisms are superb (I've got three other diesels of their's and they are all great runners). As I understand it, there isn't a preserved version to scan with a laser and, to my mind, photographs can be misleading. So give HJ a chance guys for goodness sake!!!

Regards to all.

Brian.

I find it a bit sad that you think we cannot discuss the accuracy of a model or not. We are been charged an every increasing amount for models and in return an effort to make them as accurate as they can should be made. Do you believe that we cannot even talk about whatever is put infront of us no matter how good or bad it is?

• Like 4

The face is 85% for me in life; I can live with the body so long as the face passed muster and the performance is up to scratch.

ABSOLUTELY!!!

I'd rather a pretty face on an average body than the other way round! :blush: Oo-er, are we still talking locos here, or what?!! (he, he!).

Anyway, I have two of these beauties on order at Modelfair btw - I cannot resist them and they'll complete my ER collection nicely!

Cheers,

John E.

... Only the Green and Blue full yellow ends there. I asked if I could have D5900 in GSYP, and he second guessed me. "Can't shift the other two", he says, "but I've sold 23 GSYP and only have one left"...

Which does make Heljan's apparent general bias toward 'yellow end' and BR blue very odd to me. Cannot help feeling they would do better with always offering an all over green option where that is a possibility, and completely ignoring banger blue.

You only have to look at the more market savvy box shifters to see what ends up with the 'shift it' discounted pricing: BR blue.

Which does make Heljan's apparent general bias toward 'yellow end' and BR blue very odd to me. Cannot help feeling they would do better with always offering an all over green option where that is a possibility, and completely ignoring banger blue.

You only have to look at the more market savvy box shifters to see what ends up with the 'shift it' discounted pricing: BR blue.

I think what Hejan did, very smartly, was offer one model featuring each of the four revised livery variations carried by the class. D5900 finished up with a full yellow end before withdrawal. I think it would have been better to release D5901 or D5905 GSYP instead of D5900, so anyone modelling the late 60's could have a GSYP example running alongside a GFYE of BFYE example. There will be more GSYP examples released in the next batch.

Edited by Baby Deltic

Just been on the Hottuns website and I am taking back my misgivings on the loco's face forthwith. The reason for this? In the loco head-on view as here, I think it is the prismatic effect of the headcode glazing insert that appears to shrink the black portion, especially its radiused corners. A flat plane of glazing material would remove this effect and also provide more space for those undernourished headcode characters.

http://www.ehattons.com/images/products/2300_26416_Qty1_5.jpg

• Like 2