Heljan Baby Deltic

Burkitt

Does the curvature of the nose top look right to you guys?

I think it is right but i stand by my analysis of the transition to get there. On the prototype (and the Alexander kit) the transition is on a flat horizontal plane whereas Heljan seem to of interpreted it as a sloping slightly away from the cab window towards the nose. Might be mileage in the theory about the size of the glazed area on the headcode blind being underscale though.

I think I know what it is that looks wrong. The dimensions look about right - but the font of the headcode numerals and letters is very, very wrong. Look at the 6 on the real thing here and then look at the model on ebay here.

Easily fixed with replacement labels, and it'll look a dozen times better.

I'm looking forward to this model immensely, just hoping to have some money left over at the end of the month after petrol/food/etc!

Guest Max Stafford

I said this on the Dapol 22 thread. I really shouldn't but I'm going to...

Dave.

Edited by Max Stafford
  • Like 2

Everybody knows that D5901 worked into Scotland whilst with the RTC at Derby. ;)

wasn't that the garratt thread? LOL

Just had an email from a certain retailer telling me mine is on the way.

Looking forwards to seeing one with improved headcode font to see if it looks better ;)

Guest Max Stafford

My order for four baby deltics has been processed. Should be departing for 34G soon. :dancer:

You bin pullin' armed blags, geezer? :triniti:

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A 'weathered' example has just appeared on e-bay--incredible! I'm afraid this,for £100,is a rather poor offering . In common parlance,it needs a nose job.

I repent.Say after myself one hundred times-'It is the font,it is the font........' A baby deltic--but not as I remember it--sans headcode box----one day at Kings X in Sept.'59 when I 'copped' seven in a day,in company with many D 53XX ( later Class26) one solitary D61XX ( soon to be aScottish fiasco) , the prototype 'Deltic' and several D 2XX (later Class 40) This,in common with a generous helping of Gresley & Peppercorn Pacifics and a solitary A2. The type2 diesels had charge of ECS workings, the Cambridge Buffet Expresses and Outer Suburban & Moorgate line commuter services--complete with Gresley non-corridor stock. Yes--I'll buy----out of pure nostalgia alone.!!

• Like 2

I repent.Say after myself one hundred times-'It is the font,it is the font........' A baby deltic--but not as I remember it--sans headcode box----one day at Kings X in Sept.'59 when I 'copped' seven in a day,in company with many D 53XX ( later Class26) one solitary D61XX ( soon to be aScottish fiasco) , the prototype 'Deltic' and several D 2XX (later Class 40) This,in common with a generous helping of Gresley & Peppercorn Pacifics and a solitary A2. The type2 diesels had charge of ECS workings, the Cambridge Buffet Expresses and Outer Suburban & Moorgate line commuter services--complete with Gresley non-corridor stock. Yes--I'll buy----out of pure nostalgia alone.!!

I think when, (and if), Heljan were to backdate the D5300 and D5900 models to the late 1950's, they would be pleasantly surprised at the increased sales! Purely my opinion, based on similar experiences, as a visitor from oop North!!

Cheers, Peter C.

I think when, (and if), Heljan were to backdate the D5300 and D5900 models to the late 1950's, they would be pleasantly surprised at the increased sales! Purely my opinion, based on similar experiences, as a visitor from oop North!!

Cheers, Peter C.

Definately need to do an original GN class 26. I would imagine that Heljan will re-tool the class 23 in due course, after they have completed the run of refurbished variants.

Edited by Baby Deltic

Definately need to do an original GN class 26. I would imagine that Heljan will re-tool the class 23 in due course, after they have completed the run of refurbished variants.

An original 26/0 D5300-D5319 and 26/1 D5320-D5346 are planned but as the existing tooling would have to be altered considerably then it would be a matter of picking the right time, although I wouldn't think this would be too long. As for backdating the 23, it has only just been released so the same comments apply. A visit to the Heljan stand at Warley will probably give you more insight into future proposed releases though.

• Like 4

Hi. First post on RMWEB,joined to see what others thought of new Baby Deltic.When i saw 1st pictures i just thought 'That don't look right'.Having compared pictures of real thing and model, my thoughts are that both the font and headcode box are too small. If you do a mirror image of the headcode box on a photo of the real thing,the bottom edge of the box is below the marker lights.If you do the same on a photo of the model the bottom edge of the headcode box is in line with the top of the marker lights.So because the box is too small,the numerals are too small and the front looks just wrong,which is a shame 'cause the rest looks spot on.Does anyone else agree or are my eyes playing tricks.Maybe i should get out more!!!