Heljan Baby Deltic

Burkitt

I think the appearance goes back to the LMS prototypes 10000/1. The classic design with a nose and three front windows was probably the flavour of the period. ... ... ... Classes 23, 40, and the later class 37 seem to use a standard EE cab design.

I stress I haven't seen the relevant paperwork, but I fully imagine that BTC's general styling guidelines of the day favoured three single-plane windows to prevent expensive and fraught compound curves (as built Co-Bos anyone?). Hence the Peaks and most of the EE family, plus all makers' Type 2s with the exception of NBL's products, had three windows, and in the case of the 41s and Peaks, noses as well.

• Like 1

Despite what I said earlier and knowing how strange things happen in the world of modelling, I wouldnt be suprised if these Baby Deltics make very attractive models. Look how well the Co-Bo Class 28's turned out. And like these machines, i think only one got into blue livery or am I wrong?

I think the requirements for nose end gangway doors played heavily on the designs aswell. All of the early 'nosed' diesels of the Pilot Scheme had these. Obviously they were phased out as in the case of the later 'Peak's, 40's and class 37's. I would imagine that the ends of a lot of diesel loco's would have looked a lot neater without the small centre window above the gangway - certainly the comparison is there between class 26 and 33 and the early and late class 25's. Collision protection may have been a considered factor. I think the window layout on the class 21 and 22 locomotives was an elegant looking way of accommodating the gangways.

• Like 2

Despite what I said earlier and knowing how strange things happen in the world of modelling, I wouldnt be suprised if these Baby Deltics make very attractive models. Look how well the Co-Bo Class 28's turned out. And like these machines, i think only one got into blue livery or am I wrong?

D5909 was the only member of the class to get all over blue livery. Severall got full yellow ends, and D5908 had the double arrow symbol in GFYE.

• 1 month later...

Look at the pictures on this link (when you open the page, press the UK button in the top right corner to get pictures of the noses)

http://www.Heljan.dk...d&artikelid=297

The fronts look sooo wrong!

Compare them to a picture of the real thing here

d5901.jpg

I dont think it can hold a candle to my SilverFox one. If they become cheap enough in a year or two like the 33s etc I might buy one for its chassis, but otherwise I'm steering clear of this one! Such a dissapointment after the fabulous Lion model

Edited by D605Eagle

The fronts look sooo wrong!

Compare them to a picture of the real thing here

Whoa there, take a deep breath, relax. I wouldn't bail just yet.

The full yellow fronted ones do look entirely different from the half height yellow locomotives. Amazing what some paint can do.

Compare the Heljan front end to these photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmc1947/5863824769/

Hi-Res R1203

What really makes the Heljan model look odd in those front end photos is those under nourished head codes. The font should be much thicker.

Edited by Pete Piszczek

I think the font doesn't help, however there does appear to be an issue with the radius of the transition between the top of the nose and the vertical bodyside. It looks much sharper on the prototype than Heljan's interpretation, and on the model it appears to slope slightly, although I'll reserve judgement untill I get my hands on one.

I think they look much better than the Silver Fox body. The Silver Fox model is based on the Lima clas 40, and the cab windows on the Lima 40 are awful, quite honestly. I bought a few of the other Silver Fox diesels (class 22, Lion, Falcon, Kestrel, DP2) but the look of the Baby Deltic put me off it.

Silver Fox model:

gallery_6737_726_138134.jpg

Heljan Model:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=100425

Edited by Baby Deltic
  • Like 1

Comparing the photos of the Heljan model and the real thing, it really does look like the headcode box is quite a bit shallower than it should be, but also the nose appears to have slightly more radiussed corners. However, to me it looks like it's the headcode box which is causing the model to look slightly off.

I wonder if a non-headcode version will look better?

• RMweb Gold

Comparing the photos of the Heljan model and the real thing, it really does look like the headcode box is quite a bit shallower than it should be, but also the nose appears to have slightly more radiussed corners. However, to me it looks like it's the headcode box which is causing the model to look slightly off.

I wonder if a non-headcode version will look better?

A 'weathered' example has just appeared on e-bay--incredible! I'm afraid this,for £100,is a rather poor offering . In common parlance,it needs a nose job.

I'm not convinced there is anything wrong with the dimensions of the headcode box. I think it's a combination of the aneamic font used on the blinds and the fact that full yellow ends look so awful on this loco. I am certain that the transitional radius between the body side and bonnet top is too shallow though, but it's not a major howler compared to some of the errors perpetuated in so called "state of the art" diesel models.

I think the "wall" of the headcode box is too thick too (meaning that the window part is smaller than it should) is exacerbating its underscaleness. I cannot quite put my finger on what else isn't right, but front just looks wrong. The side views look bang on, so I don't think its either the nose hight or the window slant. Does the curvature of the nose top look right to you guys?

Edited by D605Eagle