GWR camping coaches

As the title says I am looking for information on the GWR camping coaches.

I am hoping to build 1 of the converted 55ft clerestory first/second class coaches, and would like an idea of what they looked like inside. I have some vehicle numbers: W9909W, W9901W these were 6 berth camping coaches.

Any help greatfully recived

I saw an article or book recently with photos and plans of the interior of GWR camping coaches, but I don't recall what it was. I do know that it is somewhere in the house, so I'll have a look tonight.

I seem to recall that the berths were bunk singles (2 bunks per compartment), and the main area was created by removing some of the compartment dividers.

Adrian

Probably not much help but one of the British Transport Films is all about camping coaches (in a wonderful 'Here's some fine young fillies enjoying some smashing ginger beer' style), although I can't remember for the life of me which one it was or if it was even GWR specific. Lots of interior shots though.

The book I was thinking of was "Odd Corners of the GWR" by Kevin Robertson. He has a chapter on camping coaches with both interior and exterior photos of a number of different types. There is also a plan, although probably not a particularly usefull one for you since it is of one of the early 4-wheel coaches. The early coach is interesting in that the you had to go outside to get to the sleeping compartments, where later coaches had interior access.

Some of the interior photos are, I think, of the series you are interested in (certainly a clerestory).

Adrian

As the title says I am looking for information on the GWR camping coaches.

I am hoping to build 1 of the converted 55ft clerestory first/second class coaches, and would like an idea of what they looked like inside. I have some vehicle numbers: W9909W, W9901W these were 6 berth camping coaches.

Any help greatfully recived

Andrew

As a starter for 10, from the two running numbers given here's a bit of initial information:

Running Number 9901

Originally - 58' Tri-Composite Brake Van, Diag E72, Lot 1030, No: 7492 (Lot and original number questionable?)

Converted - 1952

Running Number 9909

Originally - 54' Corridor 3rd, Diag C17, Lot 1020? (though possibly 927?), No: 3243

Converted - 1952

There is a useful table in M Harris' Great Western Coaches from 1890 (Chapter 10 Miscellany) and JH Russell's A Pictorial Record of Great Western Coaches - Part 1 1838-1913 has a drawing of the interior of Diag C17 as built; this may be of use for dimensions of the original partitions and form a basis for a conversion.

I've had a quick look and it appears that Worsley Works has the artwork for a C17 etched body in 3mm - it may be worth contacting them to enquire about reducing it down to 2mm?

Hope this is of help.

Steve, Great information, converstion dates are interesting as they are later than dates give for coaches being at Winscombe they might have been on other sections of the Chedder valley line then. Will have to look at some of the pictures and see if I can find any other numbers.

Cheers.

For Camping Coach interiors, GWR etc., have a look at 'Scenes from the Past : 30 (Part Two)' 'CAMPING COACH HOLIDAYS' by Andrew MacRae (Foxline). Part One covers mostly ex LNWR coaches.

Page 94 has a photo of one of the coaches you are looking for and page 84 has a plan of a western region 8 berth camp coach, it might give you an idea of the layout.

For Camping Coach interiors, GWR etc., have a look at 'Scenes from the Past : 30 (Part Two)' 'CAMPING COACH HOLIDAYS' by Andrew MacRae (Foxline). Part One covers mostly ex LNWR coaches.

Page 94 has a photo of one of the coaches you are looking for and page 84 has a plan of a western region 8 berth camp coach, it might give you an idea of the layout.

Cheers, will definatly have to go on the search for a copy of this book then.

Archived