Waverley line Branches

mr magnolia

Just as well it was a slow speed derailment, otherwise it would have been B1 91119 being re-railed.

Jim

As it ran in Oz TOPS, as it were :jester:

Did I imagine it, or have we also seen something wrong like a Class 46 off-roading at this location, sent up the branch without a second thought for the RA...?

Guest Max Stafford

I don't know about a Peak at Greenlaw. Perhaps you're thinking of the EE Type 4 that ran out of Tweedmouth Yard, down the dock branch to the end of the switchback. A place known locally as the 'Goody Patchy'!

Dave.

Mystic 'Chard strikes again, predicting a Railbrit contribution: http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=35373

also in the recent Julian Holland book on "Lost Local Lines"

As I said to MaxStafford the other night, I do quite fancy Greenlaw as a prototype, with/without Peak in the ballast.

I don't know about a Peak at Greenlaw. Perhaps you're thinking of the EE Type 4 that ran out of Tweedmouth Yard, down the dock branch to the end of the switchback. A place known locally as the 'Goody Patchy'!

Dave.

Just mentioned Greenlaw to muddy the waters Dave, I only meant the Peak in the linked picture. At Duns, which is also in the borders, but is not Greenlaw, I know. ;)

Guest Max Stafford

Another moment of vintage Border Country gold from the maestro himself.

Thanks Bruce, we're so lucky you were out there with your trusty Velocette and camera! :drink_mini:

Dave.

Many thanks Mr Mac, that is precisely what the physician requested :derisive:

From your Kelso collection this is possibly the loneliest, with a real pervading sense of emptiness, whereas the others have a sense of occasion, with the Kelso Lad headboard &c. For those not familiar with the human interest theme of the end of the Kelso operations (I like to think we have new readers occasionally!) please follow this link, which stirs something in me that can't be put into words:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=17963

Also, on the branches, here's another of our popular sixteen-wheeler doing its off-roading

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=35405

Guest Max Stafford

I've been trying to determine the exact location of the station at Kelso. From maps ans surviving buildings I conclude that the modern section of the A698 passes though the site now next to where the new Sainsburys is being built.

Anybody confirm or deny this one please?

Dave.

Well preserved Innerleithen, from contemporary Railscot sources:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=35414

I spent some time with Kelso then and now mapping open in the browser earlier. Far from what I recall in the books of before and after, which feature a Lada garage on the station yard, and the Station Road overbridge in situ, everything has been subsumed under the featureless generic by-pass. There's a Proton/ Kia dealer I think, pretty much on the spot where the station would have been. There's a minor hump in the road, but it looks much smoothed compared to the railway's era, and I suspect it owes little or nothing to the topography of its backstory.

Kelso station - eradicated from the built envirionment.

This may help a little.

post-5524-0-04113300-1314615168.jpg

post-5524-0-07077100-1314615435.jpg

Pretty sure you can match up the windows and the brickwork from my 1968 photo and with Google's one.

I'm almost sure that the running-in sign was just on the Roxburgh Junction side of the road bridge. On a Sunday School Excursion to Berwick from Hawick, our carriage halted under the bridge and I remember seeing this huge sign.

Bruce

Guest Max Stafford

Thanks again Bruce. I was pretty certain that it was the building seen in the background to so many photos. I've always had a soft spot for Kelso. A particularly sad loss in this case.

Dave.

Frozen in the mind's eye with its amenities intact, not for Kelso the indignity of a pre-cast single platform with tatty bus shelter, at the end of a long plain siding cut-back to 250m from the original station site, so it could be released by the Property Board to build yet another Morrisons.*

* substitute name of generic supermarket chain here

The road junction as per the photo above has just been replaced by a roundbout, leading the the new sainsburys supermarket.

All that remains is a piece of waste ground, opposite Ken Hope's Garage, that was part of the goods yard which for some reason has never been developed. In the Berwick direction the embankment was truncated by the bypass a path goes from there to sprouston.

Towards Roxburgh the bypass follows the route. Beyond where the road over bridge was, the cutting has been filled and is impassable. Beyond this blockage, after a detour, you can walk all the way to Roxburgh over the only remaining teviot viaduct. This and its embankment is still a very impresive structure with skew arches across the river and plain arches either side.

Guest Max Stafford

Lovely picture that, Jamie. You even managed to make a tenuous link with the Sou'West by way of the motive power!

I think this loco is one of those briefly domiciled at 52D though!

Dave.

Archived