Waverley line Branches

mr magnolia

Not sure if we have seen this at Gordon before ?

What a fantastic picture. I can't decide whether those are dumb-buffered minerals in the background or not.

Looking at the trackwork, there doesn't seem to be any form of trap point between the goods yard and the platform. What am I missing?

What a fantastic picture. I can't decide whether those are dumb-buffered minerals in the background or not.

Looking at the trackwork, there doesn't seem to be any form of trap point between the goods yard and the platform. What am I missing?

The date?

Did they bother with such details in those days?

Bernard

The date?

Did they bother with such details in those days?

Bernard

Bernard, I'm fairly sure they did- it's always been my understanding that trap points were around from a very early date. They must have been needed much more when there were wagons with a single brake shoe around the network. All the 19th century track diagrams here are fully equipped with traps. Thinking about it, the explanation might be uphill slope from the yard to the platform. Rich

Bernard, I'm fairly sure they did- it's always been my understanding that trap points were around from a very early date. Thinking about it, the explanation might be uphill slope from the yard to the platform. Rich

I reckon that must be the reason Rich.

Any one got a gradient plan?

Quite by chance I was browsing in 'Smiffs' today and came across a photo of Gordon in the 1950s.

No catch point to be seen.

Bernard

Bernard, I'm fairly sure they did- it's always been my understanding that trap points were around from a very early date. They must have been needed much more when there were wagons with a single brake shoe around the network. All the 19th century track diagrams here are fully equipped with traps. Thinking about it, the explanation might be uphill slope from the yard to the platform. Rich

The accident at Stobs Staion in 1871 was largely attributed to the lack of 'Catch Points' and that was on the main line never mind a branch line.

roygraham

Does anyone have a track plan of Gordon or more photos? I have found a couple showing the station, I'm interested now in the sidings in the photo mentioned above...

Note: I have found these on the National Archives of Scotland.. Just need access to them somehow:

RHP37041 Diagram of Gordon Sidings [London And North-Eastern Railway?]. 1923

RHP38806 Track diagram of Gordon. c 1945

RHP38860/1-3 1. Track diagram of Gordon Station. 2. Track diagram of Gordon, showing bridge no.40 3. Duplicate of no.1 c 1950

RHP39295 Plan of Gordon Station (London And North Eastern Railway). c 1935

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for that. I've now managed to combine the attached photos (some from that site, some from google) into the track plan attached... I think my modelling skills might just be up to building this... :D

Thanks for the help

Nate

http://www.flickr.co...e65/6231818537/

http://www.geoffspag...greenlaw/05.jpg

http://www.geoffspag...greenlaw/08.jpg

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=23768

EDIT: photos deleted for reasons of copyright, Nate - to cover our wee butts I've linked the captions so folk can still relate to your source material. Cheers, 'CHARD

post-9957-0-60543000-1319531602.png

• 2 weeks later...

How's this.......

post-11846-0-13666300-1321437782_thumb.png

South bank of the Tweed from Berwick in the 1920s. Simpsons Maltings to the left, burned down in 1933. Next to it the entrance to Tweed Dock, and then Shorts Grain Mill on the right, with the Border Brewery behind it. Dock branch descended at 1 in 40 from Tweedmouth, enters pic from the left, passes in front of maltings to serve docks. Coal from South Wales fed the maltings, which malted barley from the local area before shipping from the dock, mainly to Dublin to make Guinness, apparently. Shorts Mill was fed by a wagon turntable from the dock sidings, across the waterfront road.

How do I know all this? I'm building a model of it...........I have more, if anyone's still awake.

How do you know all that, indeed! You're a lucky man having that quality of backstory to work with - some of us are really stretching the terms of our modellers' licences getting LGW grain cottages and such esoterica route acceptance, but that is one hell of a neat prototype.

You might be as well posting the layout in Waverley Route Models or Scots We Hae, which is Jamie's creche for all Saltire-bearing efforts....

You might be as well posting the layout in Waverley Route Models or Scots We Hae, which is Jamie's creche for all Saltire-bearing efforts....

A very warm welcome to Ian.

I like maltings and breweries.

Don't give him ideas 'CHARD.

Keep it here.

The border is well north of Berwick these days.

The other end of the branches get covered so let's expand the Waverley empie.

Berwick and Tweedmouth must be well within our patch.

I think we might be stretching things too far if we take the Border Counties over the bridge and include Hexham.

Bernard

Pardon my ignorance but what's an LGW grain cottage?

Where are you in the West Mids? I used to teach in Birmingham (1973-87) and played a lot of sport round there........

Here's another:

post-11846-0-49284800-1321444662_thumb.jpg

Railway wagons visible to the left...sorry about the quality.

I have the original architects plans to help me build it.

post-11846-0-91301400-1321444613.png

Pardon my ignorance but what's an LGW grain cottage?

LOL - no ignorance inferred - the LGW cottage is an esoteric beast that Waverley types rib each other about mercilessly up the northern reaches of the line, only the likes of I try to excuse their appearance further south. Here's a hefty rake being pulled around East Lothian by a Clayton in 1970:

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=29927

They are very pretty grain wagons belonging to Leith General Warehousing. Your backstory is, like I said, a superb one for operational interest and prototype accuracy alike.

Oh, they are a great wee wagon. Like my 'imagineered' layout which is at best St Boswells area, and at worst a fair bit further south, you can apply licence - and why shouldn't you. The real cottages didn't stray anywhere far from the Lothian grain circuit, between port and distilleries. However, their traffic is perfect for your setting, perfect. They date from the early 1900s, but the steel chassised versions appeared in the late '20s. The kit is here:

http://www.modeltrainsuk.co.uk/pc51-parkside-dundas-model-railway-wagon-kit---private-owner-grain-wagon---modeltrainsuk-149-p.asp

It's well-trodden turf this, and here's a good place to find out more about 'imagined' grain traffic:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/33432-lgw-wagons/

Very, very helpful, thankyou. The maltings, mill and breweries (2) took most of their grain from the very fertile and well-managed hinterland, mostly by cart delivery. My hypothesis has the dock branch designed and working more effectively than in reality, so traffic would have been heavier, and I can see it coming down the Kelso branch. Much of the outbound traffic from the maltings went by ship, but not all, and if the branch had been better planned, more would have gone by train, to various breweries and distilleries throughout the north and southern Scotland. Up the ECML and the Tweed Valley line and onto the WR, I would think. I'm turning Tweedmouth into one of Europe's big commercial and industrial centres, I fear.

Thanks for the info about the kit, but I'm working in 2mm in order to get the full waterfront in, so I'll be scratchbuilding them, I guess. Looking forward to it, too.

Guest Max Stafford

Ian, please feel welcome to include Berwick, Tweedmouth and all stations to Alnmouth in here should you so desire. You'll find no complaint from me. Of course I give this advice from an entirely neutral and unbiased standpoint (as if...!) :mosking:

Dave.

Archived