Waverley line Branches

mr magnolia

I'm loving this project - what is more Ian, our very own Millerhillboy is also modelling the northern end in 2mm, he's main line in tempo, but I'm sure he's on the button when it comes to the various rolling stock options in your scale.

I must say, with the range of bread and butter Waverley Route types now available in N, it's no surprise it's so tempting to take advantage of modelling space in the smaller scale.

My reason for 2mm is the fact that I wanted to model a significant of the Tweed waterfront; the running quality of 2mm these days combined with the bespoke nature of handbuilt track geometry means I can do it justice, if my skill levels allow. I'll give it a good go, anyhow......so much to learn. 2 new photos on the layout thread.

Guest tony graham

Currently on a break in Border County land (think "Busman's Holiday") ... took this photo this afternoon at Bellingham. Thought it may be of interest.

post-7852-0-21509200-1321651014.jpg

I would like said coaches....

If I get the Euro up tonight then I want the royal 47 that DBS are selling and a few Mk2 coaches that are sitting at Crewe to tow behind it. May also need somewhere to store and run said items from, any ideas where would look after them for me?

Guest Max Stafford

Lifting eyes I'd say mate. The window arrangement on this one suggests that it's ex- EMU stock so this vehicle perhaps used to have a power bogie underneath. Those rails look like a guards or driver's cab too.

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

I reckon if you were that keen to keep a door shut it would be less effort to plate and weld it. I'm sticking with lifting eyes.

Dave.

Someone with 750 DC in their veins will correct me no doubt, but I reckon given its window spacings, and B4 type bogie with what looks like added bracketry, that's a VEP or CEP* vehicle, and those are lifting eyes.

* I have no idea what those terms actually mean

I have just got my grubby mitts on the October Railway Observer and find a mention of these coaches.

ex-4Tc One is 76301

The control gear has been removed and gone to a good home.

One will be a cafe and the other a resource room witrh a display focussed on the Wansbeck line.

Bernard

Someone with 750 DC in their veins will correct me no doubt, but I reckon given its window spacings, and B4 type bogie with what looks like added bracketry, that's a VEP or CEP* vehicle, and those are lifting eyes.

* I have no idea what those terms actually mean

VEP stands for Vestibule Electro-Pneumatic braked stock

and

CEP stands for Corridor Electro-Pneumatic braked stock

Further info can be found here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Railway_multiple_unit_numbering_and_classification

No tongue-in-cheek emoticon required at the end of this link: http://www.langholmpicturearchive.com

And on the branch we have nearly 200 new photos. The site is almost worthy of a thread to itself, the resource is so vast. Search using Railways as your category. Glentarras and Byreburn viaducts, Gilnockie and Canonbie including the latter's ex-pit sidings, and some other stunners.

Lose yourselves in the collection for an hour or two, Waverlites, it just keeps giving :angel:

No tongue-in-cheek emoticon required at the end of this link: http://www.langholmpicturearchive.com And on the branch we have nearly 200 new photos. The site is almost worthy of a thread to itself, the resource is so vast. Search using Railways as your category. Glentarras and Byreburn viaducts, Gilnockie and Canonbie including the latter's ex-pit sidings, and some other stunners. Lose yourselves in the collection for an hour or two, Waverlites, it just keeps giving :angel:

A superb collection, especially the Gilnockie ones (one day I'll model that station - just got to settle on a scale and track gauge)

Colin

A superb collection, especially the Gilnockie ones (one day I'll model that station - just got to settle on a scale and track gauge)

Colin

I mean, HOW irresistible is Gilnockie? And over on the 'Most Wanted' thread I highlighted a real Holy Grail shot of mine, the proof of a Class 25 working the branch passenger. This has elevated Gilnockie into my top echelon of branch cameos.

A question - perhaps for those with the necessary WTTs - when did diesel shunters take over the St Boswells to Kelso traffic?

I was at Kelso on 29 March 1965 when there was a fair number of linesmen disconnecting signals as the Kelso to Berwick section had been closed completely on that date. The daily goods still ran, worked by a steam loco from Hawick.

When I was next at Kelso in 1966, the motive power was a D3000 shunter from Galashiels. (I can kick myself now, but on both visits I had a camera but didn't take any pictures, preferring to watch the scene but not through a viewfinder.)

Anyone confirm when the Hawick/Galashiels changeover took place:? Logic perhaps suggests it would be when the Hawick shed closed to steam but it would be nice to confirm it.

In March 1968, the last freight from Galashiels took some wagons to Kelso and left them there, the sidings being cleared out a week later by the Hawick Clayton. (Which may have given rise to the idea that Claytons worked the freights after steam went.)

Here's Maxton with the brake van being propelled by the loco on a zero-order freight towards St Boswells in December 1966, a neat little cameo to model???

Bruce

post-5524-0-89916100-1323192447.jpg

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=36789

Back to the northern reaches, and the Lothian coalfield. This pug kinda symbolizes for me a half-remembered time and atmosphere of an area that's now transformed beyond recognition. This would make a lovely ancillary industrial cameo as part of a larger layout, or a smaller project in itself. Beautiful.

I'd say 'not,' so good spot that man. Would you look at the pristine track alignment in the second shot looking along the shoulder of the 4MT. Absolutely magnificent.

Light blue running-in board could do with some shortbread petticoat tails and a Sunday Post just to round it off nicely though :jester:

Archived