Tim's painting and weathering workbench

A quick one from me. Last month, as some may or may not know, I had a rather nasty attack of pneumonia, which more than knocked me for a six. One of those who really helped me get through it all with as positive an outlook on it as one can have when in such a state was Tom F.

As a thankyou for that help (and a birthday present, being as today is his birthday), I carefully spirited away one of his two Black Fives for Leaman Road for a bit of a weathering and sprucing up. The weaknesses of the model are well-known and have been covered both elsewhere in this thread and in various other topics in the Kitbuilding/Scratchbuilding zone.

post-6712-0-23497400-1351344860_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-53037200-1351344882_thumb.jpg

This one is a Millhouses (19B) loco. Built in early 1946, it will probably head into works for a heavy general and full repaint into mixed traffic lined black. It has, however, had its cabside and smokebox numbers changed to standard BR style. When built, it would have had shaded numerals directly below the cabside windows (as 4963).

My usual mix of dilute gunmetal/leather for the majority of it, with lighter areas lower down on the tender frames. While still tacky, MIG black smoke was added both on tender sides (streaked) and across the boiler. A quick-ish job, but one that brings out the detail in what isn't actually a bad model at all. They respond to detailing really well.

So, there you are! Thanks to Tom as well for being a damn good friend :)

• Like 14

First of all, happy birthday Tom F!

Tim sneaked me a look at this one last weekend at Peterborough whilst Tom F was elsewhere and it's even better in the flesh. Interesting to see something unusual and different livery wise and as Tim says, it shows how well these models respond to a bit of detailing and weathering.

Andy

• Like 1

First of all, happy birthday Tom F!

Tim sneaked me a look at this one last weekend at Peterborough whilst Tom F was elsewhere and it's even better in the flesh. Interesting to see something unusual and different livery wise and as Tim says, it shows how well these models respond to a bit of detailing and weathering.

Andy

Thanks Andy! :)

It's a lovely model Tim. You certainly did well sneaking her out of the house without me knowing! :moaning:

It will be the first of several LMR locos methinks

...cough....compound....cough! :yes:

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks Tim that is absolutely spot on! It's a shame we can't post the original photo so that everyone can see how well you have reproduced it, but I know how close it is. :biggrin_mini: I knew this one would make your eyes light up. I shall look forward to seeing it on Wednesday.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I love the burnt smokebox effect, very common on the thrashed J27's and Q6's I saw as a young un, you have reproduced it excellently.

Bowled over in fact, that is how I recall the end of steam in the North-east, no O1's by then of course but the above locos were equally dirty, if not worse! Sorry to gush, but that really is good.

• Like 1

Good to see it with a proper NE door. ;)

The fact that the door the O1 model comes with is moulded on, makes me think Hornby do not intend to do the far more common NE type.

Lovely smoke box effect.

• Like 1

Good to see it with a proper NE door. ;)

The fact that the door the O1 model comes with is moulded on, makes me think Hornby do not intend to do the far more common NE type.

You're dead right Tom, it is a shame about that, but at least it can be done properly thanks to D49s... :)

Lovely smoke box effect.

Thankyou! I wonder how yours will look when done... :)

Thanks Tim that is absolutely spot on! It's a shame we can't post the original photo so that everyone can see how well you have reproduced it, but I know how close it is. :biggrin_mini: I knew this one would make your eyes light up. I shall look forward to seeing it on Wednesday.

Hi Guys

Best I can do with an early IPhone.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-45141800-1355599335_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

'dy hell, I'm not sure whether to be inspired or give up altogether!

I'd really go for the former! It's what got me going in the first place, especially with things I saw on here when I cottoned onto the forum 6 years ago. :)

• Like 1

Okay, a quick pair of locos, not least in terms of what's actually needed on them. Both of these are Kings Cross (34A) locos, so they'd have been treated slightly better than most other sheds.

We'll start with a B1. This one is portrayed around a week out of works. There's a bit of in-service dirt and nothing much else. It has, however, had three coats of Johnsons' Klear on it before any dirt is shown at it.

post-6712-0-90466200-1355776637_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-20947900-1355776681_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-40815400-1355776694_thumb.jpg

Next is a rather nomadic A2. 60533 seems to have flitted around sheds like a true butterfly. It wasn't at Top Shed for long, but it seems to have been kept in reasonable nick during its stay. In reality, Gilbert shouldn't be able to have this one as it was in and out of works during August 1958, but it's his trainset, so he can do what he wants :senile: :stinker:

post-6712-0-31069100-1355776957_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-19878200-1355776975_thumb.jpg

That's all for now, though there are two more to come soon in the form of a D11 and a V2. They may get photographed elsewhere if I don't get the time to shoot them tomorrow.

• Like 12

Love the B1 Tim, and the A2. Isn't the later a little too clean though. Just teasing Gilbert. :D

Just re-read the post. Top shed. Mine is a little dirtier.

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1

Okay, a quick pair of locos, not least in terms of what's actually needed on them. Both of these are Kings Cross (34A) locos, so they'd have been treated slightly better than most other sheds.

We'll start with a B1. This one is portrayed around a week out of works. There's a bit of in-service dirt and nothing much else. It has, however, had three coats of Johnsons' Klear on it before any dirt is shown at it.

post-6712-0-90466200-1355776637_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-20947900-1355776681_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-40815400-1355776694_thumb.jpg

Next is a rather nomadic A2. 60533 seems to have flitted around sheds like a true butterfly. It wasn't at Top Shed for long, but it seems to have been kept in reasonable nick during its stay. In reality, Gilbert shouldn't be able to have this one as it was in and out of works during August 1958, but it's his trainset, so he can do what he wants :senile: :stinker:

post-6712-0-31069100-1355776957_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-19878200-1355776975_thumb.jpg

That's all for now, though there are two more to come soon in the form of a D11 and a V2. They may get photographed elsewhere if I don't get the time to shoot them tomorrow.

I think on the fireman's side there's a pipe run that Bachmann model on the A1 but missed out on the A2 - will you be adding it?

I think on the fireman's side there's a pipe run that Bachmann model on the A1 but missed out on the A2 - will you be adding it?

Probably not. I know it ought to be there, but adding it to what was basically a weathering job soon changes things. :) I'll see how things go and whether it's worth it or not....

Having spent a lovely time up at Gilbert's today, it's time for an update on two locos that weren't able to get photographed in natural light. Peterborough North makes for a more than excellent substitute though! :)

So, to the V2. I've detailed more about its construction and modifications over in the V2 thread, so this will help to show the finished article. It follows the same procedure as most other clean locos, namely a couple of coats of Klear and then my usual mix of Humbrol 62, 33 and 27004. Top Shed locos tended to stay relatively clean, though V2s weren't given the same treatment as a top link pacific. There's a little bit of road dirt here and there and the various images of the period which were my "guide" show it to be "looked after" but not spotless. It brings back fond memories of seeing it in 1999 when freshly painted up in BR green at High Wycombe. Lovely day that too..... :)

post-6712-0-80382800-1355949762_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-17194100-1355949919_thumb.jpg

Now for something quite different! Gateshead weren't quite so worried about keeping their locos clean, so long as they worked. 60538 Velocity is no exception. Certainly this one is cleaner than the last 52A loco I did. This one has had the entire motion given a mix of matt leather and then the airbrush dirt mix misted over to tone things down. Further brushing whilst wet helps to give it some nice mixed tones. Freshly oiled up motion, ready for duty!

post-6712-0-50058000-1355950155_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-96590500-1355950525_thumb.jpg

More to come soon :)

Edited by Tim
  • Like 17