Tim's painting and weathering workbench

An old innexpensive controller is handy in the sprayshop to revolve wheels while spraying, followed by notching up the controller while a cloth with cellulose thinners is used to wipe the treads and maybe backs of wheels. I have enjoyed re-reading this thread, in fact it is only now that the penny has dropped and that station is in fact Llandudno Junction.

Having been thwarted by the weather on Monday, I had to take photos of the next pair of locos on site instead. Not that I mind one bit, when the "site" happens to be Peterborough North :sungum: . Amazingly, there was some sun this lunchtime, on a day the Met Office said would be thundery showers. They came later, as mentioned here.

First up is 60114 W P Allen of 36A Doncaster. Fairly typical condition of this shed, so it was meant to be grubby with a bit of cleaning here and there... Either way, it looks nice enough to my eyes!

post-6712-0-51231300-1342647097_thumb.jpg

Next is 60141 Abbotsford of 56C Copley Hill. Another shed that didn't seem particularly keen on employing cleaners, or at least that's how things appear to be the case in all the photos I have of her!

post-6712-0-62921500-1342647765_thumb.jpg

The third A1 that I did was another of Copley Hill's fleet, that being 60117 Bois Roussel. No photo here of her, but she'll appear in Gilbert's thread soon enough! ;)

Cheers!

• Like 18

As mentioned here, I gave Tom F's new PDK B16/1 a spot of weathering for him, seeing as there was enough left in the mixing cup (plus a little more). I'm loathed to throw away good paint anyway!

post-6712-0-69035300-1342703737_thumb.jpg

(photo courtesy Tom)

The main areas were given a single coat of Klear to seal everything in (Tom requested that it wasn't varnished by PDK) and then a fine waft of gunmetal/leather was given over the main areas that needed it. Three MIG powders were also used: Black Smoke, Track Dirt and Rail Rust.

It's meant to be a week or so out of works from a heavy general, so it makes a fine comparison with Tom's B16/3 (link here).

My mojo has been given a boost with this one, so I might just get one of my similar condition 'Black Fives' finished off soon as it's already been regauged to for my own use.

Edited by Tim
  • Like 15

Hi Tim

Many thanks for the information you me sent earlier.

Well here's 60027 Merlin transformed into 60004 William Whitelaw one of Haymarkets finest locomotives.

She has 247 brass etched nameplates, front number plate, works plates and shed code, also fox transfers were used for the cab-side numbers.

She or He has also had two coats of Johnson's Klear.

At some point I will carry out a very light weathering as I want the loco in ex works condition.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-91150000-1342717351_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I'm in agreement there Larry on the green issue. I'm close (I hope) to solving my little issue with having my ex-works Scot in the wrong shade of green. The current Old Contemptibles will most likely get a renumber, followed by some reasonable amount of dirt..... Summer 1961 was mostly devoid of cleaners!

Guest Tom F

As mentioned here, I gave Tom F's new PDK B16/1 a spot of weathering for him, seeing as there was enough left in the mixing cup (plus a little more). I'm loathed to throw away good paint anyway!

post-6712-0-69035300-1342703737_thumb.jpg

(photo courtesy Tom)

The main areas were given a single coat of Klear to seal everything in (Tom requested that it wasn't varnished by PDK) and then a fine waft of gunmetal/leather was given over the main areas that needed it. Three MIG powders were also used: Black Smoke, Track Dirt and Rail Rust.

It's meant to be a week or so out of works from a heavy general, so it makes a fine comparison with Tom's B16/3 (link here).

My mojo has been given a boost with this one, so I might just get one of my similar condition 'Black Fives' finished off soon as it's already been regauged to for my own use.

Not just your mojo that is back in form, it's helped give mine a boost too! Thanks for the work on 61477 mate :) has that lovely clean look to her. I'm not somebody who is usually is put off weathering by how good the loco looks, but I'm with Mick on this one....she couldn't be filthied up too much! We will leave that for 61437! ;)

• Like 2

Not just your mojo that is back in form, it's helped give mine a boost too! Thanks for the work on 61477 mate :) has that lovely clean look to her. I'm not somebody who is usually is put off weathering by how good the loco looks, but I'm with Mick on this one....she couldn't be filthied up too much! We will leave that for 61437! ;)

Well, I'm happy to help wherever possible and you know that. You see now why it takes me utterly ages to weather up a loco now. I'm never satisfied until the job is done and the airbrush is clean (and my hands black).

Less than two weeks too...... :)

Why thankyou Adrian! From someone whose work I've been admiring over the years I take that as a huge compliment!

There are times that I look at models I've done in the past (including recent ones) and thought "Hmmm, I've missed a bit there...." Ongoing development I suppose?

There's always ongoing development. There are techniques I've yet to feel entirely comfortable with, and the camera always picks up those little areas you've missed or where you feel you could have done a little bit better. But that's part of the motivation - the striving to do better next time, and that's a good thing. If you'd been here this afternoon and witnessed the unmitigated pigs ear I've made of a weathering job which up till now had been going swimmingly, you'd have gasped; it's almost like the paint curdled as it dried.

Thinners, cotton buds, elbow grease. Afternoon wasted...

I feel your pain Adrian! I've been there and done that (and wrecked a loco body or two). They got stripped back with Microsol afterwards and worked on again and came out very nicely indeed. One of my Black Fives (the one at the start of this thread) is on its third (and final) finish. Infact, I went back to all those I'd done by hand when I had first bought them and stripped all the "weathering" off before doing them all again. I cannot recommend Microsol enough though as it's a very effective stripper of enamels indeed.

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

Something I've been working on lately is a Darlington-built A1 in 'British Railways' branded apple green. Originally a Bachmann "Tornado" model, this has had the internals of a normal tender transplanted inside it. This required the original middle of it to be chain drilled and cut out before tidying up with 'detail' and normal files to allow the new internals to sit in as per a standard 8 wheel tender. The end result is something that cannot be bought in the shops and has never been made available either.

post-6712-0-89967000-1344554324_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-77810500-1344554526_thumb.jpg

The choice of this loco was entirely down to Tom F, who has yearned for something rather "special" on Leaman Road such as this one. I'll leave him to tell more of the whys and wherefores on 60146 in his layout thread.

• Like 11

With normal service now resumed (having put up the above posting before the server upgrade), two more locos for the "completed" file can be added here.

First is the Thompson reboilered O4/8 that I documented in my blog, which has since been weathered. It represents the sort of condition a recently overhauled loco would get while shedded at Frodingham shed (36C).

post-6712-0-10193200-1344621362_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-43683100-1344621414_thumb.jpg

Finally for now, a natural light view of both sides of my recent rebuild of a Bachmann V2. For those interested, there are more details about it over here.

post-6712-0-11788600-1344621256_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-47482300-1344621313_thumb.jpg

More to come later, including a repaint of an A1.......

• Like 14

As mentioned here, I've been working on a repaint for Tom F in the form of a Darlington-built A1. Bachmann have only ever produced a Doncaster-built A1 in express passenger blue and it commands a pretty penny these days. To do a Darlington one, the only option open is a full repaint. Here is the starting point; a completely stripped-down loco to bare plastic. The detail uncovered is utterly staggering....

post-6712-0-41417400-1345211479_thumb.jpg

Tom chose to do 60140 Balmoral, from his home shed, 50A York. There are still various bits to do on her, including running plate valance lining, plus touching up things like the bufferbeam etc. It'll get a very light coat of weathering too, but that's a while off yet.

post-6712-0-07974800-1345211181_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-58783300-1345211203_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-22586700-1345211220_thumb.jpg

That's all for now...... :)

• Like 15

Oh....my....word Tim :O Superb.....I'm rather speechless!

I'm waiting for someone to say the nameplate position is too low..... ;) thank goodness for photos! :yes:

• Like 1

Tim, not that I know anything but it looks to have been wise to strip off the factory finish. Even these days it can cover so much detail! I'd bet that you had a fine old time matching the shade of blue, too.

Chris

• Like 1

Tim, not that I know anything but it looks to have been wise to strip off the factory finish. Even these days it can cover so much detail! I'd bet that you had a fine old time matching the shade of blue, too.

Chris

Just a bit! First attempt was rather too light, but this second coat has definitely done the trick. The lining is good too at fooling the eye. Witness BR coaching stock maroon, both lined and unlined!

Hi Mick,

I used superstrip, an old stout paintbrush, plenty of elbow-grease and copious amounts of kitchen paper.

Balmoral seems to have been one of those fitted with low-positioned off-centre nameplates.

HTH,

Edited by Tim
  • Like 1

You should have got some of that Nail Varnish Remover while you were up north!

Sadly, it seems to have vanished from Boyes :(. As it happens, the last time I used the stuff was when it ate (quite literally) the grillework surrounds of one of my 37s.