Tim's painting and weathering workbench

The V2 really strikes me out of the two locos.

Dear oh dear....how many V2s did York have. Woe is me! ;)

Tim - Tom. Hmm stop putting ideas back in my head. Just when I 'd convinced myself that I can hang on for a decent V2!

As mentioned here in Gilbert's thread, I can now reveal images of something kept under wraps until today when it was presented to its new owner.

It is now half a lifetime ago since I first clapped eyes on Tetleys Mills (MR issue #1) and, through its various incarnations, it has been a source of inspiration for me. I never expected that one day I would end up producing a loco for Dave's new project, but there you go!

Photos then....

post-6712-0-49058100-1356121496_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-45116500-1356121529_thumb.jpg

I have to say that the Hornby B1 is one of my favourite models to weather up as it really brings out the character of these locos. The model is one of the best out there too, regardless of what others think about the chimney and dome. They do the job if you're not unduly worried!

Part of me really would love a B1 of my own, but I cannot justify one at all :(

• Like 11

B1s did get through Saltney Junction on their way to Llandudno Tim, and I've seen a photo of one on 6B!

Oh I know that much, but that was on Summer Saturdays only, which is unfortunate as I'm doing weekdays :(. I also know the shot you refer to (61016 Inyala), but that's much later than my chosen time period of summer 1961. I shall have to content myself with slightly less exotic things like Standard 4 moguls instead ;). I have two....!

Edited by Tim

Tim,

What's wrong with the chimney and dome? The only ones my inexperienced eyes ever found fault with were the first Royal Scott chimney and the current V2 steam dome. I think both Bachmann and Hornby do a great service to us modellers and artisans like yourself put the icing on an already perfect cake.

Thanks so much for your work and sorry about the aggro with the Hornby lube.

Have a great Christmas

Dave Shakespeare

• Like 1

Tim,

What's wrong with the chimney and dome?

It's not something that unduly offends my eyes, but there should be a more of a taper to it and the cap should be a little more pronounced in terms of width. Here's a link to Larry G's little topic on the subject (eventually found it!): http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49665-b1-d49-compound-austin-seven-and-crab/#entry568698

The only ones my inexperienced eyes ever found fault with were the first Royal Scott chimney and the current V2 steam dome. I think both Bachmann and Hornby do a great service to us modellers and artisans like yourself put the icing on an already perfect cake.

I'm with you on both of those models! I'm lucky none of my Hornby Scots are of the early version. :)

Thanks so much for your work and sorry about the aggro with the Hornby lube.

Have a great Christmas

Dave Shakespeare

Thankyou indeed Dave! I'm really glad you like it. Have a great Christmas yourselves!

Cheers,

Edited by Tim

• 4 weeks later...

As mentioned here in Gilbert's thread, I can now reveal images of something kept under wraps until today when it was presented to its new owner.

It is now half a lifetime ago since I first clapped eyes on Tetleys Mills (MR issue #1) and, through its various incarnations, it has been a source of inspiration for me. I never expected that one day I would end up producing a loco for Dave's new project, but there you go!

Photos then....

attachicon.gif61023_L_PN_24765a.jpg

attachicon.gif61023_R_PN_24767a.jpg

I have to say that the Hornby B1 is one of my favourite models to weather up as it really brings out the character of these locos. The model is one of the best out there too, regardless of what others think about the chimney and dome. They do the job if you're not unduly worried!

On an excursion through St Aidens!!

• Like 1

On an excursion through St Aidens!!

Possibly shunting in the yard, but there was only a single namer around that way and it was an Eastfield loco, which means it'd only really be seen on the NB main line out of Queen Street. I'll think of a way for the future though ;)

Cheers,

Engineers train. They used whatever was available.

Sorry Tim I am trying to make excuseses to make you spend money on a loco that you do not really need.

Stuff it go ahead and spend!!  

Hornby B1. 2 x Sharks. Several Hornby Trouts and Heljan Dogfish, change the axleboxes and handrails and paint them black and you are there.

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another update, another A1! In for attention this time has been 60119 Patrick Stirling, from Doncaster (36A).  Very little to say about this one, aside from the replacement numberplate with curly 6s and 9s; from HMRS sheet 12.

post-6712-0-74051500-1360236509_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-33000500-1360236494_thumb.jpg

There's something about an A1 in BR green that I do find very appealing.  I think it's the "Tornado effect"!

post-6712-0-76908500-1360236475_thumb.jpg

Next up will be a B17/6 ;)

• Like 17

There's something about an A1 in BR green that I do find very appealing. 

I concur about A1's in BR green....They were the smartest Pacific (in my eyes) to run on BR and they always looked so proud and dignified. Everything else in Leeds City station looked second class when one of these rolled in!

Edited by coachmann

One finished B17/6, 61643 Champion Lodge of March (31B) shed.  I have to say that the Hornby model is one of the best we've ever seen yet and it makes a very pleasing model once weathered.  This loco is now ready for delivery to Peterborough North.

As mentioned in the Hornby B17 thread, I've changed the smokebox door for that off a Hornby O1, which gained a NE pattern one as per prototype.  Other changes are an additional washout plug on both side of the boiler.

post-6712-0-08868500-1360255302_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-23851300-1360255368_thumb.jpg

A rear view from the fireman's side....

post-6712-0-45779900-1360255346_thumb.jpg

Finally, a side-on shot with the morning winter sun on it.  I have to say, B17s are very smart locos, even if the real things became very rough riders!

post-6712-0-81557000-1360255329_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tim
  • Like 16

Thanks Larry :).  I do have a weakness for B12s, though preferably in their original form with a Holden boiler.  I'd probably choose original GER blue on them over LNER by a very close margin as both looked lovely on them!  I'd rather like one of those..... ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I hope you have a good supply of 01 smokebox doors Tim. :)  It really is the last element necessary to finish off a very fine model. Well done for sorting the extra washout plug too. I remember you not being very confident about that when I first mentioned it to you, but as usual you have found a way, and now that you have done one, another 18 or so will be a piece of cake. :jester:  Did I mention that I quite like B17's?

• Like 1

Excellent Tim. The Tender brought memories back of the old B12. Hornby has come a very long way since then......I bet the company would make a smashing job of a 21st Century model B12...!

Another loco to put on that Engineering Train sitting under St Aidains on Sunday morning just as all the good folk of Glasgow are going off to Kirk.

• Like 2

One from Friday that I didn't have time to process and post up on here...   I do have a weakness for ex GCR locos and the D11 is no exception.  I well remember at the age of five seeing 506 Butler Henderson at the GCR on my first ever visit there.  Anyway, a couple of pics of 62666 Zeebrugge, which is now up at Peterborough North at the time of writing.

post-6712-0-13018900-1360536329_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-88276700-1360536383_thumb.jpg

This model in particular is a rather different affair to weather up, given how shiny and black it is straight from the box.  Giving it a dose of filth really does change things!

As for what is coming next, there will be a compound on its way rather soon, plus another B17.  For the latter, a spot of research on a sport I have little interest in is required as regards the splasher colour.  :jester:

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

One from Friday that I didn't have time to process and post up on here...   I do have a weakness for ex GCR locos and the D11 is no exception.  I well remember at the age of five seeing 506 Butler Henderson at the GCR on my first ever visit there.  Anyway, a couple of pics of 62666 Zeebrugge, which is now up at Peterborough North at the time of writing.

attachicon.gif62666_L_26116-7.jpg

attachicon.gif62666_R_26118.jpg

This model in particular is a rather different affair to weather up, given how shiny and black it is straight from the box.  Giving it a dose of filth really does change things!

As for what is coming next, there will be a compound on its way rather soon, plus another B17.  For the latter, a spot of research on a sport I have little interest in is required as regards the splasher colour.  :jester:

Blue and white stripes Tim. :sungum:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

hi Tim some really excellent weathering work i do like the B17. have you done any rebuilt Scot or pats as i know they did end up looking in sorrowful state near the end. i was wondering how do you go about doing the valve gear i under stand that you use Humbrol metal-cote dull aluminium gunmetal and mat leather but do you use undercoat first and is the valve gear taken apart first? i ask because i have just under coated the chassis of my Talbury tank and would like to get the wheels and gear looking something like yours. i have not done any to the coupling rods and slide bar yet. oh and what is used for that oily look on the wheels. apologies for what might be a simple question for some. look forward to seeing some more of your superb work. 

• 1 month later...

Time I updated this one. Pair of shots of a recent B17, 61653 'Huddersfield Town'. She's a March (31B) loco, so it's relatively clean. Due to time constraints, I didn't have a chance to shoot it under natural lighting conditions. Peterborough North makes a most excellent substitute though :)

post-6712-0-48853400-1364519783_thumb.jpg

Both March B17s together.

post-6712-0-66869900-1364519801_thumb.jpg

There's a compound coming up next, once I've processed the images.

• Like 7

hi Tim some really excellent weathering work i do like the B17. have you done any rebuilt Scot or pats as i know they did end up looking in sorrowful state near the end. i was wondering how do you go about doing the valve gear i under stand that you use Humbrol metal-cote dull aluminium gunmetal and mat leather but do you use undercoat first and is the valve gear taken apart first? i ask because i have just under coated the chassis of my Talbury tank and would like to get the wheels and gear looking something like yours. i have not done any to the coupling rods and slide bar yet. oh and what is used for that oily look on the wheels. apologies for what might be a simple question for some. look forward to seeing some more of your superb work.

I'm yet to do any Scots owing to the replacement wheels not being available yet. I'm assured they are on the cards soon though! I do have a rebuilt Patriot too, but it's awaiting nameplates. It's due for a fairly mucky treatment though, with a clean smokebox door.

My usual method for doing valve gear is to leave it on the model and then it gets whatever comes from the airbrush over the wheels before i give it a once-over with some neat-ish matt leather mixed in while the underlying layer is still tacky. Depending on the effect I'm trying to get, I'll add either gunmetal/aluminium metalcote to the wet mix before giving it another fine misting with the gunky mix in the airbrush. Once mostly dry, a thin layer of Klear is brushed over it all, making sure I don't clog up any moving parts/pivot points. I speak from (bitter) experience! :) The odd one or two get some MIG Black Smoke powder added into that lot while the Klear is tacky/wet to give it some texture.

HTH,

Edited by Tim
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

A quickie to revive this thread a little....

I've recently completed a third Hornby B17 for Peterborough North, this time 61630 Tottenham Hotspur, which will almost certainly please one of my regular layout operators ;).  As with 61643 earlier in this thread, this gained an extra washout plug on the firebox to convert it from a part 2 into a part 6 locomotive.  The footballs on both splashers were some 2.5mm plastic rod turned to a domed shape and then painted a suitable brassy colour.  Nameplates are from the CGW range.

post-6712-0-11999300-1370558192_thumb.jpg

There's a 4th B17 waiting in the wings, but that's a while to come yet.....

• Like 8