Low relief Terraced houses

Barry,

I totaly agree with what you are saying. I think it actually comes down to layout location. Our next layout will be close to a window and I've been looking at brick sheets compaired to Wills/Ratio materials in the natural light. The paper just has a satin shine, even after a little matt weathering. The textured plastic with no treatment still throws a shado. I think it really comes down personel prefference/cost/location/size of layouts, so many things for just a brick sheet. We must all be a bit :wacko: :blink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Best regards,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

In response to your earlier question, I do like brick paper sheets for the reason that some suppliers have got the shading just right, and Howard Scenics is amongst the best in my view, as it already gives you a head start when it comes to weathering.

I am not a fan of the Wills plastic bricks, as the mortar courses are too deep for my liking, but I'm happy to use Slaters or SE Finecast plastic sheeting as an alternative.

Scalescenes is another supplier of brick paper sheets who have gotten it just right - of course, you need to be sure that your printer does it justice when printing out as well.

Any slight sheen on brickpaper should be removable with an artists Matt Medium - I got some from my local art shop and whilst I haven't used it on the cottages (not sure I need to), I did do a trial on a bit of Scalescenes bricks, and it flattens down what little sheen my printer had left, just nicely.

BTW the Captain's cottages look fantastic.

Al, you are, as ever, a Gentleman and a Scholar! :D

Hi all,

I seem to be struggling to find a supplier of low relief houseing viewed from the rear without walling. I know Hornby done some in there Skaledale range, are thier any others?

Best regards,

Mark

Mark,

I built the Superquick terrace but omitted the front bays (and cut down the bay roofs to suit). This gave me a three-quarter relief building; the downside is that it is in yellow brick which is fine for London but less use elsewhere although there is quite a bit in Southampton. I then tried their Victorian terrace back and found it very fiddley but I can confirm that it can be built without the side/rear walls. I might get round to doing the chimney pots this weekend -if I do I'll photograph them in situ and post them here.

Simon.

Hi Mark,

In response to your earlier question, I do like brick paper sheets for the reason that some suppliers have got the shading just right, and Howard Scenics is amongst the best in my view, as it already gives you a head start when it comes to weathering.

I am not a fan of the Wills plastic bricks, as the mortar courses are too deep for my liking, but I'm happy to use Slaters or SE Finecast plastic sheeting as an alternative.

Scalescenes is another supplier of brick paper sheets who have gotten it just right - of course, you need to be sure that your printer does it justice when printing out as well.

Any slight sheen on brickpaper should be removable with an artists Matt Medium - I got some from my local art shop and whilst I haven't used it on the cottages (not sure I need to), I did do a trial on a bit of Scalescenes bricks, and it flattens down what little sheen my printer had left, just nicely.

Al, you are, as ever, a Gentleman and a Scholar! :D

CK,

That's helpful information about matt art supplies. Railway modelling is new to me so I will bow to your experience and expertise about the wills sheets mortar being too deep. Although I do like the effect given from it as the texture can be seen from some distance (3-5') away. This statement alone probably proves you totally right.:D

Mark,

I built the Superquick terrace but omitted the front bays (and cut down the bay roofs to suit). This gave me a three-quarter relief building; the downside is that it is in yellow brick which is fine for London but less use elsewhere although there is quite a bit in Southampton. I then tried their Victorian terrace back and found it very fiddley but I can confirm that it can be built without the side/rear walls. I might get round to doing the chimney pots this weekend -if I do I'll photograph them in situ and post them here.

Simon.

Simon,

I look forward to your photos and any more information that you can pass my way. I'm always eager to learn, it's just a pitty that the exicution can let me down.

Best regards,

Mark

........ Railway modelling is new to me so I will bow to your experience and expertise ........

Mark, as a new comer, welcome, you have entered into a hobby that must just about cover every aspect of life and skills :-

Carpentry

Electrics

Art,

Engineering,

Arithematic/Maths.,

Painting,

Historical observation,

Architecture,

Urban and/or Country planning

Farming practises

The seasons

and railway operation in all it's myrid and unknown forms.....

And that's just getting started.

Welcome :)

Mark, as a new comer, welcome, you have entered into a hobby that must just about cover every aspect of life and skills :-

Carpentry

Electrics

Art,

Engineering,

Arithematic/Maths.,

Painting,

Historical observation,

Architecture,

Urban and/or Country planning

Farming practises

The seasons

and railway operation in all it's myrid and unknown forms.....

And that's just getting started.

Welcome :)

Yes quite a list to take into account. The wife has already caught me looking strangely at all sorts and the best answer I can give her is don't ask you would be board with the details.:lol: My background is in RC aircraft, helo's and ships. I have covered a few of the other things in one way or another, but some will have been too many years ago to remember the correct way of doing them.

Regards,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I think it actually comes down to layout location. Our next layout will be close to a window and I've been looking at brick sheets compaired to Wills/Ratio materials in the natural light. The paper just has a satin shine, even after a little matt weathering.

One slight concern you might have with printed papers, rather than painted plastic etc, is that if you have a lot of daylight falling on the models there can be a risk of fading. One to consider, perhaps.

This is a classic RMWeb thread. Member asks simple question and loads of people respond positively. Loads more, having a great interest in the subject, view responses. Result - much wisdom shared!

Simon,

I look forward to your photos and any more information that you can pass my way. I'm always eager to learn, it's just a pitty that the exicution can let me down.

Best regards,

Mark

Sorry for the delay; here is the terrace back (now the front :unsure:), please excuse the lack of gutters and chimney pots.

post-7342-0-17556200-1301010918_thumb.jpg

This is the other side showing my (not so good) handywork.

post-7342-0-68105900-1301010813_thumb.jpg

If I do any more terracing I think I'll use this than the proper low profile one -for me it's too Victorian.

Simon.

Simon,

Thanks for taking the time to post, funny enough my security software will only let me see the non modified side (typical). They look good, but the brick colour does not suite this area.

Best regards,

Mark

Simon,

Thanks for taking the time to post, funny enough my security software will only let me see the non modified side (typical). They look good, but the brick colour does not suite this area.

Best regards,

Mark

Mark,

All I did was omit the front bays and trim the bay roofs to suit. The yellow London brick will be unsuited to a lot of the country but there's enough down on the South Coast to get away with it; quite a bit in parts of Southampton! I'll post a photo of the Victorian terrace back without its walls and outside loos.

Simon.

Not sure if this is a good advice or not, but after a bit kitbuilding with the likes of Metcalfe and Superquick, I found myself in posession of enough skills to have a go at scratchbuilding from card and brick paper. So I think you should concider it. The end result is not necesarily better than building kits, but your layout gets more of a personal touch.

Below is a photo of a section from my layout with 3/4 relief terrace backs.

h7775.jpg

Archived