Low relief Terraced houses

Hi all,

I seem to be struggling to find a supplier of low relief houseing viewed from the rear without walling. I know Hornby done some in there Skaledale range, are thier any others?

Most of my railway journeys in my area pass the rear of houses with hedging or wooden fencing but all I can find online are houses with brick boundry walls. I don't mind if it is plastic, card or resin kits. I just want to track down something for my needs.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Mark

Mark, there was a company called PME based near Peco in Beer. He did a nice range of vacform kits including a row of low relief terraces. There should still be some floating around somewhere.

You've probably found these already then...

http://www.scalescenes.com/products/TO22-Small-Terraced-Houses

http://www.superquick.co.uk/kitframes_c/frame_c05.htm

http://www.metcalfemodels.com/acatalog/00_H0_Terraced_Houses_Red_Brick.html

...but couldn't they be made without the brick walling?

Bachmann do something in their Scenecraft range that is probably exactly what you need, although it might work out very expensive depending on how many you need:

http://railsofsheffield.com/rear-of-terraced-houses-44-200-jjja12993.aspx

Back along in old RMWeb (?) there was a thread on a series of backs of terraced houses built by a skilled foprum regular. I've tried searching but can't find it in reasonable time. I cen't remember who built them, but they were amazingly good. Maybe the constructor (or anyone who remembers more than I do) would like to bring the thread up again.

Back along in old RMWeb (?) there was a thread on a series of backs of terraced houses built by a skilled foprum regular. I've tried searching but can't find it in reasonable time. I cen't remember who built them, but they were amazingly good. Maybe the constructor (or anyone who remembers more than I do) would like to bring the thread up again.

Was it Pixie's set of buildings for Roath?

Mark, there was a company called PME based near Peco in Beer. He did a nice range of vacform kits including a row of low relief terraces. There should still be some floating around somewhere.

Thank you for that information, I'll do some digging and see what turns up.

You've probably found these already then...

http://www.scalescen...Terraced-Houses

http://www.superquic...c/frame_c05.htm

http://www.metcalfem..._Red_Brick.html

...but couldn't they be made without the brick walling?

Bachmann do something in their Scenecraft range that is probably exactly what you need, although it might work out very expensive depending on how many you need:

http://railsofsheffi...-jjja12993.aspx

Thanks I've come across them all (there all I could find. I'm looking for some that does not have the extension on the back). I'm not sure if the card kits could be modified because most show retaining/bounry walls. I'm not sure if modifying them will damage the structural intergraty. May be some one has done this and can show an example?

Townstreet do some

Thanks, I'll dig around and see if it's what I'm looking for.

If some one could that would be great? I'm thinking I may have to scratch build them my self, so some pointers would be handy or even scale drawings.

Best regards,

Mark

Have you looked at the old Bilteezi card/paper kits. specifically VA Row og Georgian houses (Backs only). I believe they are still available and are still a pretty good kit although they require more effort than some of the newer kits. This particualr kit makes up into 5 3 story house backs and can be built with or without a rear wall.

Have you looked at the old Bilteezi card/paper kits. specifically VA Row og Georgian houses (Backs only). I believe they are still available and are still a pretty good kit although they require more effort than some of the newer kits. This particualr kit makes up into 5 3 story house backs and can be built with or without a rear wall.

I've never heard of them being pretty new to railway modelling, but it is another avenue to explore.

Many thanks,

Mark

Re Townstreet : look at my layout , link below : first picture my Townstreet are top right in the picture

Thanks for the info.

.......................EEeeerrrr, it may be the Vodka, but in the pic the extensions looks angled to the right. Do you have more pictures of them that you could post?

Best regards,

Mark

I have recently done a test build for Stephen @ www.railwayscenics.com of low releif terrace fronts, he has backs coming out soon, but I think they will also have the extension sticking out, if you dont want that just build fronts but use different doors to reflect being backs and a few details that make them more back specific.

My mother in law lives in a terrace row in Burnley and the fronts and backs have exactly the same layout a window and door downstairs and two windows up.

I have recently done a test build for Stephen @ www.railwayscenics.com of low releif terrace fronts, he has backs coming out soon, but I think they will also have the extension sticking out, if you dont want that just build fronts but use different doors to reflect being backs and a few details that make them more back specific.

My mother in law lives in a terrace row in Burnley and the fronts and backs have exactly the same layout a window and door downstairs and two windows up.

That's interesting information, I'm sure a few members will like that news.

I did considder useing front's, I'll give it more thought.

Thanks,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I think a certain CK of this parish, did some rather nice scratch buildings, but I don't remember if he did the outsides/rears/gardens

Thanks for kind words, Jack :)

Here are some photos of the cottage backs I have built for 'Callow Lane' They are based on the Howard Scenics kits, but have been modified quite a lot to fit the space I have available for them. The windows are scratchbuilt, because the printed acetate ones supplied with the kit are a bit one-dimensional and the replacement etched versions that Howard Scenics initially supplied are not currently available, not a priority I understand...

post-57-0-55276000-1300280196_thumb.jpg

post-57-0-17355800-1300280211_thumb.jpg

post-57-0-14467600-1300280228_thumb.jpg

Captain Kernow (CK),

They are fantastic. A great piece of work and attention to detail, top notch. I see you have used paper brick sheets. I'm still not decided on which way to go. Paper bricks (I know is cheaper) or texture (something from ratio).

What do most prefer?

Best regards,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Paper bricks (I know is cheaper) or texture (something from ratio).

What do most prefer?

Best regards,

Mark

I think either can work very well; I just try to avoid juxtaposing the two.

I was wandering around Camarthen in the sun recently and paying attention to

the texture of bricks and slates, and although it's been said before, it's perhaps

surprising how essentially flat and devoid of relief these things are. I've been dithering

over whether to use Wills slate sheeting for a large roof, and thereby have to disguise

the joins, or settle for using the larger but more 2-dimensional Slaters sheets. In the

end I convinced myself that the Slaters stuff was perfectly capable of looking realistic;

indeed it might almost be better than the Wills material.

BTW the Captain's cottages look fantastic.

Archived