NCB Brakevans

This MoD brake: 4mm kit available? Where? Or is that the basic SR 25 ton brake? (In which case, back to the cutting board...)

Not sure why a cutting board is required....Yes I meant that the SR brake vans are available and these are also the MoD brake van.

Paul Bartlett

The cutting board comes in when you want to model the MoD variant because the MoD specified fully fitted vs piped, but on the SR van there was nowhere to put the cylinders. So the SR fitted a pair on deck in a (satisfyingly) hefty plate steel mount. I'm part way through altering the Cambrian kit - but if anyone's doing the MoD van or even just the equipment I really want to know about it, before I commit.

I should have mentioned in my earlier post that the NCB brakevan at Maesteg, a Toad was obtained for use on coal trains originally. When the ex Port Talbot line was open through to Bryn Colliery and beyond the line was obviously BR owned and operated. The NCB had running powers from the washery to Garth where there were exchange sidings serving St Johns Colliery. The NCB brought the output from St Johns Colliery to Maesteg for washing over the PTR and had to run with a brakevan.

Having checked my library, I see that the washery served all three of the Valley collieries - I don't know about Bryn; before my time!

The washery, BTW, was built on the site of Maesteg Deep, and originally seems to have had coke ovens - that from Maesteg coal being well regarded.

The internal system was part PTR, part North's Navigation's own network - or what remained of it. Various structures which I remember (without track) turned out to have been infrastructure at one time - the valley was full of it.

It's all gone now. First to go in my lifetime (and the rationalisation process was ongoing for decades before) was either a redundant bridge - identity unknown, it had nothing to do with the PTR - or the retaining wall where the PTR entered Nantyffyllon on its way to its own bridge. This went after the mines closed. The bridge over the LlVR/GWR line was still there when I looked last (1990-ish) and the old Celtic Cottages Accommodation Tunnel is also gone. We're doing poorly in some parts of Wales at keeping our industrial heritage.

A bridge just before Llynfi Junction (Nantyffyllon again) was missing in the 80s, to the delight and surprise of myself and an old school friend - no, we didn't fall in, but while trying to cross the River Llynfi we were persued by an Alsation dog - not such a problem - and about half a dozen geese; run! Run for your lives!

• 2 months later...

The Wemyss set-up was pretty well unique, thanks to the estate retaining ownership and control of most of the railway even after the colliery was nationalised - hence the Wemyss Private Railway. Brake vans were used simply because the railway was pretty extensive. Originally they were either ex-Midland Railway vans or Glasgow and South-Western ones, but they appear to have unloaded them on the NCB, who let them rot in a siding. Latterly the WPR brakes were short wheelbase ex-LNER 20T vans - as still made by Backmann a couple of years back. They were painted a reddish bauxite colour and the ex-Midland vans prior to nationalisation had WEMYSS on the side. The later ex-LNER ones simply had WPR (the P on the ducket with W and R on either side)

I have a photo in one of my picture books of an ex-Caley brake on the back end of a train at Comrie in 1976, but otherwise the NCB doesn't seem to have used them much.

Northumberland was a different matter and again the network serving the collieries around Ashington and Backworth sometimes justified using brakes, but it doesn't seem to have been common - basically they got in the way. Those which were used across the river in Durham were ex-LNER/BR Standard types in bauxite.

Done a bit more digging into my picture books. Oddly enough I can't find any sign of brakes on the Ashington and Backworth systems although I'm open to persuasion they existed given the size of the operation.

Across the river in Durham its a different matter, but it appears this is because there was a fair amount of running on BR metals, which required a brake to conform with the normal rules.

Apart from the usual NCB in big bold letters both wagons and brakes have an interesting little set of markings painted on each side. From a distance (and perhaps on 00/4mm scale) it looks like a three link chain, but on closer examination the first "link" contains the letters BR NE and the second NCB1, with the two being joined by a date.

In schematic form and not to scale: (BR NE)2/62(NCB1)

Again I'm open to correction, but I interpret this as denoting an NCB vehicle inspected and passed for use on BR (North East) metals on the date shown.

Done a bit more digging into my picture books. Oddly enough I can't find any sign of brakes on the Ashington and Backworth systems although I'm open to persuasion they existed given the size of the operation.

Here's a van - a confection from other bits and pieces by the looks of it - at Ashington in 1982:

Ashington

Another, ex-BR, here:

NCB Class 14 Ashington

A third, LMS designed shown next to the one in the first shot (note the yellow ends!), again, in 1982:

D9517, Ashington

In a similar vein, one - ex-LNER I think, but rebuilt sans ducket, parked up at Wearmouth Colliery in Sunderland:

Durham Wearmouth Colliery NCB Sunderland  2nd June 1968

and this, from Baggeridge Colliery, but I've no idea what its origins might have been...

S0963 HE3776/52 0-6-0ST No.8 @ NCB Baggeridge Colliery

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would add the following pictures I took them one Saturday in 1982 I was out working my patch in Seaham and was surprised to see a working fom the N.C.B Wagon works running into Dawdon Colliery.

NCBBrakevanandwagons1982.jpg

I was led to believe the Brakevan was originally from the Lambton system. Quite possible as I have seen Lambton wagons going in for overhaul and coming out fully repainted that was in the mid 60's

NCBwagonsandbrakevan.jpg

Finally what I would usually see at Dawdon crossing in the days just before the 56's again taken 1982

Class37atDawdoncrossing1982.jpg

In an earlier post [#13] Respite mentioned the brake van at Comrie Colliery. According to my notes I took this photo of the ex-LMS van there around 1984.

post-7313-0-05210300-1307396562_thumb.jpg

Jeremy

Now that's nice to see, particularly as when we first got the LMS 20T brake 732444 at Foxfield it had a quick repaint into a psuedo NCB livery very similar to that but without the yellow ends.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/foxfield/lms_brake_732444.htm

It's now kept in a more standard bauxite livery by its current owner but still at Foxfield.

and this, from Baggeridge Colliery, but I've no idea what its origins might have been...

http://www.flickr.co...ool-1337593@N25

Is that photo definately Baggeridge Colliery, is it not the shed at Granville Colliery? I understand that there was an operating practice at Granville to split the trains of empties half way up the bank to the colliery and hence the need for the brakevan to hold the back part of the set until the loco came back to colllect it.

Is that photo definately Baggeridge Colliery, is it not the shed at Granville Colliery? I understand that there was an operating practice at Granville to split the trains of empties half way up the bank to the colliery and hence the need for the brakevan to hold the back part of the set until the loco came back to colllect it.

It isn't my photo - merely a link to someone else's - and I don't think I've ever seen any other pictures of either colliery, so I've no idea. It is a nice selection of pictures mind.

Adam

• 1 year later...

The Van from Granville Colliery is ex Cannock and Rugeley Colliery is and now at Telford Steam Railway,

Chasewatwer also have a second much older Colliery Van thats located as a cripple out the end of the steam running shed, its known as the 'Slum' and was built by the Cannock Chase Colliery at the Plant approximatley on the site of Chasewater Heaths station.

I understand that both CRC and CCC rules requied vans to be used on the internal main lines because of the gradients encountered on the chase.