Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

• RMweb Premium

The loco; it is like a beautiful plant, blooming from the frozen ground bench and forcing its' way through the wood chips (that wood block is much neater and a better colour than my worm holed example by the way). It brightens our day and convinces us that 2012 will be a very good year for dropping hints and getting 'friends' to leap into projects they had never thought of :angel: .

(P.S. Like this already)

Seasons greetings from P @ 36E

• Like 1

The tender is just about there. I've painted it black with a Humbrol black aerosol, the first time I've used their paint - I've used lots of varnish - and it is very good, a fine spray and it dries very matt.

Hello Worsdell,

I've been watching this thread for a while and some nice building work going on, well done.

If you have a Partco Autoparts near you, you may want to try there paints, they do three finishes in the black. Gloss, this is like the finish on a new car (to gloss for my liking), satin, a nice match for Humbrol 85?, this I use for wheels and cylinder covers (if I painted locos I would use it for the loco body / tender body), matt, this is not as matt as Humbrol matt No.??, this I use for the frames (if I painted locos I would use it for the smoke box).

All the above paint's seem to be a cross of cellulose and acrylic.

What primer do you use? I use some called Teroson from Henkel Loctite it's a single part etch primer, the last lot I got was off a well known auction site at about £7.00 for a 500ml can.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the comments.

Ozzyo, I've been using Simonez primer and it is a fairly fine spray and covers evenly, for the black I've also used Plasticote matt black but these tend to clog up easily no matter how well they are cleaned out.

I managed a bit of work last night, I've refitted the bufferbeam the correct way round (don't know how I managed to get that wrong). The splasher tops curved and fitted very well and I've fitted the dummy frames to the underside of the footplate at the front.

post-7104-0-86732700-1324227082.jpg

These bits will form the cab floor and cab splashers.

post-7104-0-88936300-1324227093.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Before the telly took a rare hold of me last night I managed to get a bit more done. The cab interior has been fitted and the handrail knobs on the cab sides. Cab roof support also fitted, it feels a lot more solid now.

post-7104-0-04377800-1324320374.jpg

Tonight I have started on the frames, there is quite a selection of spacers (for each gauge) but some are for different motor mounts so can be left out. There is a 10BA nut soldered to the front one (left) to attach the bogie.

post-7104-0-97175300-1324320366.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Paul it looks cracking how does the front bogie compare to the old DJH D20 it was an absolute pile of you know what!!.

I have the made up kit somewhere in a box I always wanted to sort that S****Y front bogie out, the loco would never ever balnce correctly.

A similar thing would happen with the old G5 I know we had one on Stocksfield (Birtley MRC early eighties) and our loco builder the late Albert Teasdale built a new chassis, in fact if I recall he ended up virtually scratch building the complete loco and used the dome from the original G5 kit. As far as I know the club still run the loco

Edited by simon hudson

Hi Paul it looks cracking how does the front bogie compare to the old DJH D20 it was an absolute pile of you know what!!.

I have the made up kit somewhere in a box I always wanted to sort that S****Y front bogie out, the loco would never ever balnce correctly.

A similar thing would happen with the old G5 I know we had one on Stocksfield (Birtley MRC early eighties) and our loco builder the late Albert Teasdale built a new chassis, in fact if I recall he ended up virtually scratch building the complete loco and used the dome from the original G5 kit. As far as I know the club still run the loco

What's the wheelbase of the bogie?

LRM do the sprung one from a couple of their LNWR kits, with 6' 3" wheelbase, 3' 9" wheels. It's used in the Jubilee and Precursor Tank kits. The spung bogie axles take some of the loco front end weight and the bogie it is able to rotate and move radially.

The same design idea is used in the NER G1/LNER D23 kit. That is 6' 6" wheelbase, but isn't available as a separate item.

Jol

• RMweb Gold

The wheelbase for both the D17 & D20 is 6' 6", I believe this is common to most NER bogie locos, the D17 has 3' 7 1/4" wheels and the D20 has 4'. So the LNWR one won't be any use, Comet do a 6' 6" one, although it probably won't look right, scratch building would be an easy enough option for a simple bogie if all else fails.

Very nice Paul, I will be following with great interest I saw the kits at the Scalefourum in September. I was sorely tempted but went for the G5 instead. I also have a few coaches that I have been starting from D&S the Dia 18 and Dia 19 coaches. Still interested in getting one in the future though. I have found the LRM kits very good in the past. If I did get one in the long run it would be in LNER colours but from memory they wouldbe living out their lives on older things I think they were all gone by the mid forties but that is from memory

Are you building it to OO?

Hi Paul,

Very nice work so far.I will be interested to see how you find the 1024 motor .I put one in the Q I built from the original Barnfield kit some years ago for my EM NER layout and felt it was under powered..This is the only photo I could find of the Q in the fiddle yard of the now defunct EM layout.

post-3663-0-89205300-1324450262_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Reading this the 1024 is the best choice

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/10081-how-to-select-a-motor-for-your-model/page__p__88541__hl__%2Bmashima+%2Bpower+%2Boutput__fromsearch__1#entry88541

I have a DJH D20 the bogie frames do indeed swivel in combination with a large spring and is hardly noticable in action and it does work !!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Doug, Good luck with your G5 and coaches and maybe a D17 one day? They still aren't gone yet! 1621 still looks as good as ever at the NRM, it was withdrawn in July 1945 and two others lasted till February 1948.

Ron, that looks superb!

Mick, Chris Gibbons recommended it would be the best - as long as it would fit of course, which it does.

Not a worry. I will look forward to building it one day. The LRM kits are generally available and being a strange person who actually builds kits no doubt however long I leave it there will be a unbuilt one out there somewhere.... then again Jol will yell at me for not buying one sooner from John!... any way it has to be a loud yell as I am in Australia.

Doug

• RMweb Gold

The smokebox has the option of superheated (long) or saturated (short), as I am building the kit as superheated the wrappers are left whole, a strip needs to be cut off for the saturated version. The smokebox front and back each have a tab at the top and the inner wrapper (seen in photo) has slots in it to locate them, this went a lot better than I expected. The outer wrapper is sweated over this and has no slots.

post-7104-0-25320600-1325458623.jpg

The boiler has a number of tabs at each end, these fit into slots in the smokebox and cab. Quite a lot of material had to be removed from the boiler to clear the wheels in 00. Still quite a bit to do to the boiler.

post-7104-0-00255400-1325458661.jpg

Wheels, motor and gearbox fitted and it runs very smoothly. I've never built anything with wheels this big before and they seemed a bit daunting at first (there's only a few locos with wheels bigger than these), but the seem to have gone on really well.

post-7104-0-80106400-1325458667.jpg

post-7104-0-15916900-1325458677.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Got a little distracted this last day or so...

Standard Bachmann 3F, renumbered to sort of represent this one. http://upload.wikime...%2C_1928%29.jpg. No numbers on the smokebox yet, the ones on the transfer sheet are wonky. Weathered with powders and given a blast of Humbrol matt varnish.

post-7104-0-85507900-1326749454.jpg

And in full colour.

post-7104-0-70174200-1326749622.jpg

• Like 5