Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

• RMweb Premium

My revised J77 kit for the Fletcher cab J77 will have the centre floor as a separate piece so that the cab interior will be accessible through that. The backhead etc will drop dowm with the floor.

As far as I am aware mine is the only J73 kit available but that is in 4mm.

ArthurK

• RMweb Gold

The plan is (probably) for the floor to push up after the cab interior is sorted, luckily the cab interior is fairly hidden on these locos and careful placing of driver and fireman should obscure the rest!

• RMweb Gold

I was watching it on Saturday morning Jonathan, very nice ain't it.

Made a bit of progress today, the boiler has been soldered to the smokebox and fitted to the footplate and cab. I got the wheels at York on Saturday, I also got some tapered buffers as the ones supplied are parallel ones, these have been fitted to the buffer beams and the rear one soldered to the footplate, the front inner beam has been fitted and the middle timber beam has been cut ready to be fitted when soldering has been completed and the body has been washed. Various details have also been added at the front end. 

post-7104-0-20908300-1364852627_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-04364600-1364852638_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I've been coming back to this topic from time to time both to admire the great modellng, and to try to convince myself to take courage and try kit building locos... I think you have just about convinced me (though of course, as ever, I know it is going to turn out to be a lot harder than the experts make it look!).

Really great modellng here, though; please keep them coming (lest I lose heart...)

George

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Go for it George! you won't regret it.

Starting to look more like a J77 now, I've taken off the top coal rail as this loco only had two, the chimney and dome have been cleaned up and are just sat there, they still need seating a bit better, the smokebox door needed no cleaning up at all, again, not fixed yet.

post-7104-0-49706500-1364939980_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Got the wheels, gearbox and coupling rods fitted and it turns quite smoothly, next will be to loctite the final drive gear on and a run under power.

But first a comparison shot with older brother...

post-7104-0-19279300-1366666175_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

After nearly a week of not having any time to do any modelling I set to on Sunday evening and got the chassis running smoothly and pick-ups fitted, the only problem was the remains of the motor shaft was touching the boiler top, this was remedied by carving out a small amount of metal from the boiler casting with a small chisel (made from an old small screwdriver) all runs fine now, just hope it still passes it's boiler test  :scratchhead:

post-7104-0-04301500-1367259453_thumb.jpg

I've also started another J77, this one is in Nickel Silver and is quite a bit bigger, it's a 7mm kit from N.E.R Days in Leeds, I built their NER 964 class saddletank a few years ago and the kits are a bit crude and not for beginners but are excellent value if you want to have a go at 7mm. The motor, gears and wheels cost more than the kit!

post-7104-0-35729700-1367259464_thumb.jpg

And the two chassis together.

post-7104-0-27758500-1367259475_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

After nearly a week of not having any time to do any modelling I set to on Sunday evening and got the chassis running smoothly and pick-ups fitted, the only problem was the remains of the motor shaft was touching the boiler top, this was remedied by carving out a small amount of metal from the boiler casting with a small chisel (made from an old small screwdriver) all runs fine now, just hope it still passes it's boiler test  :scratchhead:

attachicon.gifIMGP6415-001.JPG

I've also started another J77, this one is in Nickel Silver and is quite a bit bigger, it's a 7mm kit from N.E.R Days in Leeds, I built their NER 964 class saddletank a few years ago and the kits are a bit crude and not for beginners but are excellent value if you want to have a go at 7mm. The motor, gears and wheels cost more than the kit!

attachicon.gifIMGP6416-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP6417-001.JPG

7mm you say....

After nearly a week of not having any time to do any modelling I set to on Sunday evening and got the chassis running smoothly and pick-ups fitted, the only problem was the remains of the motor shaft was touching the boiler top, this was remedied by carving out a small amount of metal from the boiler casting with a small chisel (made from an old small screwdriver) all runs fine now, just hope it still passes it's boiler test :scratchhead:

IMGP6415-001.JPG

IMGP6416-001.JPG

IMGP6417-001.JPG

As always I'm quietly watching from the sidelines and enjoying the J77 build. I would be really interested to see what you think of the 7mm J77 as I model in this scale and up until now didn't know of a J77 kit ?

ATB Mick

attachicon.gifIMGP6415-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP6416-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP6417-001.JPG

Paul, is N.E.R. Days anything to do with Steve Hoyle and Medley Models? He seemed to be the only one doing esoteric North Eastern stuff in 7mm. Got his A8, steel bodied plough and other stuff in the stash.

Mike

P.S. Forgot the plough is actually in build to go with my Prolix resin one.

Thanks Mick, it's not the worst kit but it takes a bit of thinking and fettling.

Mike, yes it is one of Steve's, he now uses N.E.R. Days as the name.

Ah now I understand, I have a Medley Models D49 and this by the sounds of it is much the same as the J77. What different build options to you get with the kit ( sandboxes, spectacle glass shape etc etc ) ?

Cheers Mick

Hello Worsdell forever,

looking at the 7mm set of frames, have you had to move the L/H (rear?) set of bearing back, as it looks like you have a gap at the front of it.

Nice looking build on both of them.

OzzyO.

Hi Ozzy,

The hole is like a figure of eight, the two classes have a slightly different wheelbase, the J77 being the rear one. It is quite secure!

Thanks Paul for that, sound like a good idea on a ridged set of frames.

OzzyO.