GWR Class 72xx

Hello guys it's me againrolleyes.gif

After all your help you gave me with the GWR 47xx, I was hoping you could help me find another specific loco.

This time it's the GWR 72xx which was a tender loco to tank loco conversion.

I need to know if there is a RTR model of this available or if anyone could help me by recommending where I may be able to find a kit.

It has to be 4mm also.

Thanks guys I look forward to your reply's

Daniel

K's used to do a kit which if I recall correctly allowed both 42xx and 72xx options and both front footplate options.

Hello,

Do you know of anywhere I may be able find this kit Iv tryed ebay but cannot find anything.

Thanks

Daniel

• RMweb Gold

Daniel, there is sadly no RTR model, although it is often mentioned in the wish lists.

PDK seem to do a brass kit, which I believe is 4mm:

http://www.pdkmodels.co.uk/PL%204.htm

This page on the old RMweb may also interest you:

http://www.rmweb.co....hp?f=89&t=18794

(I think that must be the Ks/Nucast kit, although it doesn't seem to say).

If you keep an eye out they come up fairly frequently on ebay, a 42xx has just sold on there, built at £150, and last week I saw the K's kit sell for about £100. Its a question perseverance and checking regularly.

Rovex

I'd say buy the PDK at £110 compared to that NuCast at £180! The PDK kit isn't perfect but at least you get a modern chassis with it.

Hi unfortunately I cannot build it myself, and the quote i had to build a 47xx was way too much for me sad.gif

thanks

Dan

• RMweb Premium

Not so, Daniel. They were converted from surplus 2-8-0 tanks.

Chris

And The GWR then, rather perversely, built more 2-8-0 tanks!

5255-5294 and various 42XX were converted from 2-8-0 to 2-8-2 (nos 7200-7253) in 1934-9 then replacement 5255-5264 were built in 1940.

There was much variation in the class as they were built/rebuilt over a thirty year period.

Keith

There was much variation in the class as they were built/rebuilt over a thirty year period.

Indeed, the step (or absence of one) over the cylinders was probably the most notable. Definitely a case of finding a photo of a particular engine and working from that.

Hi unfortunately I cannot build it myself, and the quote i had to build a 47xx was way too much for me

... and I thought that quote was on the low side ... time is money.

I get the impression that many think the cost of building a kit should be a lot less than the basic kit - perhaps that is one of the reasons so many come up on eBay.

However don't be too negative about building a kit for yourself. It is actually very straightforward and with the right kit with good instructions it can be very satisfying.

Hi unfortunately I cannot build it myself, and the quote i had to build a 47xx was way too much for me sad.gif

thanks

Dan

So why are you asking about kits of a 72xx which is a harder build if you can't build them or afford to get them built?

A 72xx is a more complex design to get around curves and certainly wont be any cheaper to get built.

So why are you asking about kits of a 72xx which is a harder build if you can't build them or afford to get them built?

A 72xx is a more complex design to get around curves and certainly wont be any cheaper to get built.

Hello,

I haven't phrased it very well have I

What I really mean was if there are any places I can buy kits that are mostly built and only need a little work but don't cost as much as a brand new kit build.

Sorry for the miss-understanding

Dan

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

What I really mean was if there are any places I can buy kits that are mostly built and only need a little work but don't cost as much as a brand new kit build.

Dan

Hang on and see whether Bachmann produce one! It has been high on GWR wish lists (with the 42XX/52XX) for some while.

I would like one but the kit(s) seem a bit daunting and I still have other unfinished projects!

Keith

Hello,

Dan

eBay or the wanted section though tbh it normally takes a good kit builder to sort out something bought 2nd hand and i'd only recommend beginners start from scratch. Some shops have second hand but in all cases its a bit of pot luck what you'll get. 72xx builds normally go for a lot on eBay from what i've seen even if not amazing and it probably is a model the manufacturers should tackle soon.

I hope it didn't come across as more grumpy than I meant it to but it just seemed an odd request.

You seem very keen on GWR 8-coupled locos (and nothing wrong with that ;)). Would the Hornby 2800 or 2884 2-8-0s not be suitable for your needs?

Alternatively Bachmann produce the Swindonised ROD 2-8-0 if you are looking for something a bit different.

You seem very keen on GWR 8-coupled locos (and nothing wrong with that ;)). Would the Hornby 2800 or 2884 2-8-0s not be suitable for your needs?

Alternatively Bachmann produce the Swindonised ROD 2-8-0 if you are looking for something a bit different.

Hello Karhedron,

Unfortunately the 72xx is actually a request of my Grandad, He wanted the 47xx for display as he never was able to get his hand on one, but thanks to a fellow RMweb member I got him a fully built and working kit for £60 biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

He only wants it for display so even if it was built and painted without a motor it would be fine, but its just a case of perseverance LOL

Thanks

Daniel

eBay or the wanted section though tbh it normally takes a good kit builder to sort out something bought 2nd hand and i'd only recommend beginners start from scratch.

I'll second that point. Most are badly built and are very much pot luck rejects. Most sh in my experience require careful disassembly before starting over from scratch. You have to remember why they are on ebay in the first place - not because they are someone's pride and joy.

But I guess it also depends on what standards of running and finish you are prepared to accept or are looking for. If all you want is a static model dies it matter if it has no motor, gearbox, pickups or the wheels are rust or painted over?

• RMweb Gold

I'd not realised you wanted a static model when I warned about the quality of an eBay offering, you can go on looks alone in that case and probably get something cheap a lot of modellers wouldn't want.

Regrettably it doesn't always work like that - I saw a very well finished K's 72XX in an auction in December (but it did have a K's motor). I had a very careful look at it and sat it down on a plate glass counter top only to find that the second set of drivers were slightly lower than the others -probably no more than a couple of mil but more than enough to allow the loco to be rocked laterally pivoting on those wheelsblink.gif It went for over £100 and in all probability subsequently went on Ebay or was sold on some other way by a dealer. Caveat emptor again!

the second set of drivers were slightly lower than the others -probably no more than a couple of mil but more than enough to allow the loco to be rocked laterally pivoting on those wheels

A common fault on that type of chassis but relatively easy to correct as you are probably aware. if the body was well built and well finished that would have been a bargain - even after replacing that motor.

Archived