Resin(?) Duchess

I had someone come to me the other day with this engine. It appears to be slightly smaller than OO, and is part of a collection of about thirty locomotives and is a one piece casting in resin, I think. It is the usual case of the original owner dying and a widow trying to find out if there is any value/interest in the range. Personally, I don't think so but any information about it would be welcome. One train of thought that comes to mind is a partwork, but I don't recall ever seeing any.

Thanks,

Richard

post-2642-0-81727400-1299534502_thumb.jpg

Here in York you find these in touristy shops. There is a whole rage of them, usually claimed to be hand-cast from Yorkshire coal dust and resin.

Judging by the types available, my guess is that there are copied form older Hornby/Triang locos.

Normally they are in plain coal black. Either somebody has painted this one or it is some sort of special edition.

As to value, there's no accounting for taste, but under a tenner would be my thought. No doubt there will be avid collectors out there, so your friend might do better.

Guest LNER Tom

I believe I can help with this one.

A year or two ago, we got a leaflet in the post (one of those where you bought something from a company, passed details on to another...similar interest)

The company was called Atlas, and offered a model like the above of Mallard for free....and so that's what we got.

Then with the Mallard model, you got the offer for £5 of another loco....and low and behold, with the next loco...for £10 you could get another loco.....

These now show up on ebay often.....obviously those trying to off load them.

Pretty worthless I'd say I'm afraid unsure.gif

I won't say how many we bought......I was young and naive rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

Thanks for the replies,it's ringing a bell now- I seem to remember an issue using old Triang mouldings. The smaller Duchess threw me as to provenance; I hadn't realised that the Kitmaster moulding was used- if I had seen some of the other models I might have remembered about it. Which leads to a bit of speculation- what is the current status of the 3mm Duchess mould, and is there a possibility of its re-availability?

The failure of TT to establish itself as a mainstream alternative to OO seems to me one of the great lost causes of railway modelling of the last decades. Apart from the space savings, it is that much easier to work with than 2mm for failing eyesight, but I can imagine the responses here to the gauge used. :(

BTW, that isn't an opening for discussion :rolleyes:

The Kitmaster TT loco was a Royal Scot not a Duchess. AFAIK all the Kitmaster moulds were destroyed, apart from the ones now in the Dapol range.

These resin things keep turning up in various guises. A N scale Danish Atlantic adorns my computer desk. (Acquired from one of the 'cheap magazine' persons at a boot sale for a small sum.)

The part-work publisher is 'del Prado', who hail from Italy, which seems to be the birthplace of the genre.

I think TT was killed off by the appearance of N. It wasn't that much smaller than 00 and really needed the same space,just having a little more breathing space.

Here in York you find these in touristy shops. There is a whole rage of them, usually claimed to be hand-cast from Yorkshire coal dust and resin.

Judging by the types available, my guess is that there are copied form older Hornby/Triang locos.

Normally they are in plain coal black. Either somebody has painted this one or it is some sort of special edition.

I know exactly the range you're thinking - the coal cast models do seem to use older Hornby locos as masters for their moulds - amazed really!

The coal models just seem like cheap tat to me!

Archived