Bachmann Derby Lightweight

LTfan

Waskerley (Co. Durham)

10th April 1965.

R.C.T.S. The North Eastern No.2 Rail Tour. Can't remember who the photographer was at the mo but I'll get there....

Porcy

Thanks for the information. Six Bells Junction threw me by stating the DMU used was a Metro-Cammell 8-car formation - clearly not!

Iris is a single car unit of which there was only two made ever and iris was a conversion of one of these

The Bachmann unit is a two car and I think it will be highly unlikely for them to do a single car

There were only ever one each of the LMS twins 10000/10001, but it hasn't stopped Bachmann producing those. And with this year's announcement of the Class 419 MLV, I would guess that a single-car until could be very likely, I guess it will depend upon the success of the initial models. Either way, Test Car Iris would be awesome in model form. :yes:

I would agree that Bachmann might offer the single car variant in the future. Firstly there are those modellers who are short of space and those with a limited budget. If Bachmann offered "Iris" or one of their suppliers took the plunge 504 models would find a home.

If they made the Buckingham branch version I thought there were differences between the two. I am sure Coachmann and Robert Carroll amongst others can correct or confirm.

While I am awaiting the 2 car version for my North Wales/Cambrian layout, I am sure there are others who would find a place for the single car version.

The two single cars were different; almost as if they were intended to be a two-car set but the builders changed their minds at the last minute.

I don't think it would be too hard to produce the single cars if Bachmann wanted to - it really depends how much fexibility they built into their moulding tools. As someone else has pointed out, other single cars have been produced before: Lima (then Hornby) with their 121 modified from the 117 moulds, Heljan are to produce a 128, Hornby do the 153 and Heljan are to produce various railbuses, so there is hope but only Bachmann can tell us whether or not they will.

The two single cars were different; almost as if they were intended to be a two-car set but the builders changed their minds at the last minute.

There's good reason for that - they were modified from a 2-car at an early stage of construction :) IIRC the differences were around the brake/luggage areas, I think it was 79901 that was closest to a 'normal' MBS although of course 79900/Iris would be the one that would give most livery/longevity options

There were only ever one each of the LMS twins 10000/10001, but it hasn't stopped Bachmann producing those.

A particularly woolly comparison IMHO, a 'one off' (or close pair) is only a viable proposition if it's sufficiently iconic or has some other marketable quality. The LMS diesels obviously qualify on that score; not sure about the DLW pair which are hardly in the same class. Bit bemused also by the comparisons with other single cars; it's not like there's some taboo against producing them per se, they just need to be marketable.

• 2 months later...

A particularly woolly comparison IMHO, a 'one off' (or close pair) is only a viable proposition if it's sufficiently iconic or has some other marketable quality. The LMS diesels obviously qualify on that score; not sure about the DLW pair which are hardly in the same class. Bit bemused also by the comparisons with other single cars; it's not like there's some taboo against producing them per se, they just need to be marketable.

I see your point, but I am sure you will agree that there have been far more obscure prototypes produced, especially as limited editions. Probably a good comparison are the recent Modelzone Mk I RTC coaches, which despite being what one may class as niche, were sold out well in advance of release. So I can easily see Test Coach Iris being viable, at least from the "limited edition" perspective.

Having travelled on these DMU's on the West Cumbria line when they were introduced, looking in my old Combine M79010 is definitely an allocated one to West Cumbria but M79617 I have never seen and in the combine shows up as Eastern allocation.

post-383-0-65677300-1315148186_thumb.jpg

Better still, side and end etches to glue to the roof! Any variant could then be done.

These were the first DMU's I travelled on, working up to Blaenau. I think I was around 13yrs old but age didnt stop me cursing them for replacing the 2-6-2T's....! Dead nostalgic today of course.

Oh no.

How on earth can I resist one of them ?

I know they worked some services from New St via Walsall and up the Cannock Line and I guess there must have been the odd foray over the Dudley even as trials prior to allocation of GRCWs and BRCWs to Ryecroft shed.

According to Mr Grindlay's part 7, the units of interest to West Midlands modellers were ;

M79118-M79134 M79639-M79657

M79141 M79662

M79143-M79149 M79663-M79669

M79169-M79170 M79670-M79671

Although allocated to 3E Monument Lane in 1957 every single car had been reallocated by the 1959 allocation lists.

From a modellers perspective a very attractive combination of an ex works DLW unit with a scruffy workstained 3F goods engine on a small layout based around the West Midlands.

A useful reference work with a handful of 3E DLWs is Monument Lane Loco Shed by Tony Higgs. The most interesting photo from a modeller's point of view is dated 29th March 1956 and shows class 2P 4-4-0 setting out from Derby for Monument Lane shed towing M79125 cab leading. The loco carries M992 as a headcode on the smokebox door.

The next photo is captioned "It is the first month of diesel operation and two twin-car "Derby Lightweight" units arrive at Witton station on the 1.2pm New St-Rugeley (Trent Valley) on 14th March 1956"

The next photo shows a 16 car formation of eight twin sets arriving New St empty from 3E on 7th May 1957. The caption appears to miss a number because it states "the first six cars form the 5.15pm to Lichfield, the 2nd car set will work the 5.20pm to Lichfield and the last four cars will await a later set to join and form the 5.42pm to Four Oaks. I guess the second six cars form the second train, leaving two 2-car units for the third train.

The author states that units mostly arrived at 3E in February and March 1956. The power cars were numbered M79127-M79134, M79145-M79149 and M79169-M79170. The lightweight units remained at 3E through 1957 and into the early part of 1958. The last day when the 791xx series monopolised services was 31st May 1958 and from the 2nd June Metro Cammells took over.

Hope this is of use

Probably a good comparison are the recent Modelzone Mk I RTC coaches, which despite being what one may class as niche, were sold out well in advance of release. So I can easily see Test Coach Iris being viable, at least from the "limited edition" perspective.

Unless I'm much mistaken, the MZ RTC stuff is all reliveries of existing models. The DLW single car(s) is/are still only at the wishlist stage. Add in the consideration that it's the retailer who takes the risk when commissioning an 'LE' (sic), and it's effectively two separate arguments; I dont personally believe the possibility would sway Bachmann one way or t'other.

I see your point, but I am sure you will agree that there have been far more obscure prototypes produced, especially as limited editions.

That's pretty much a given, with which I didnt, and wouldnt, disagree. The point I was making was that I didnt know if these DLW singles were marketable enough. Ten weeks later, I still dont :)

That's pretty much a given, with which I didnt, and wouldnt, disagree. The point I was making was that I didnt know if these DLW singles were marketable enough. Ten weeks later, I still dont :)

I wouldn't like to put my month's mortgage payment on it, but we don't know the true marketing costs of such a venture. Neither do we (or certainly I) know whether the moulds for making the DMBS are changeable to produce the single car, or whether it is a whole new tooling. The difference between the former and latter might be the viability of the project.

What we need are the long framers - that is where the money is :stinker: .

Out of interest thsi was leaflet advertising the services which the Derby Lightweights operated in West Cumbria.

The flip side was the timetable which I can copy if anyone is interested.

One point on the models in the picture, Maryport would be a poor destination on the blind as it would nerly always be Workington, Whitehaven, Carlisle or Penrith.post-383-0-53630300-1315242450_thumb.jpg

White cab roof domes

Just been having a rummage through David Hey's collection and noticed that some cars appear to have white cab roof domes on both ends of the cars. Here is a link to 79009 and 79639 ;

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/dp-rowland-carlisle-copy.jpg

The DTCL nearest the camera appears to have standard roof ends but it's power car suggests it was able to lead, and therefore be driven from the brakevan end as well as the conventional end. I'm sure this is not right and I'm guessing the painters painted both ends the same - apart fro the gangway on the inner end, but it is thought provoking. Does anyone know if there were driving controls in the brakevan end of these (first few) cars ?

These first generation cars most appealing particularly if Bachmann produce the "halfway house" BSYP versions !!!

Archived