Bachmann Derby Lightweight

LTfan

White cab roof domes

Just been having a rummage through David Hey's collection and noticed that some cars appear to have white cab roof domes on both ends of the cars. Here is a link to 79009 and 79639 ;

http://www.davidheys...rlisle-copy.jpg

The DTCL nearest the camera appears to have standard roof ends but it's power car suggests it was able to lead, and therefore be driven from the brakevan end as well as the conventional end. I'm sure this is not right and I'm guessing the painters painted both ends the same - apart fro the gangway on the inner end, but it is thought provoking. Does anyone know if there were driving controls in the brakevan end of these (first few) cars ?

These first generation cars most appealing particularly if Bachmann produce the "halfway house" BSYP versions !!!

I think that you'll find that what you have here is a single (double-ended) power car operating with a trailer car from a two car set.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I think that you'll find that what you have here is a single (double-ended) power car operating with a trailer car from a two car set.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I don't think it is a single unit power car - it's looks more like normal motor brake second. I have seen published photos of these units with white domes at each end of each car, but most cars seem to show no evidence of them.

I don't think it is a single unit power car - it's looks more like normal motor brake second. I have seen published photos of these units with white domes at each end of each car, but most cars seem to show no evidence of them.

I take it that you are aware that there were only two single car units and that they differed in detail, being originally intended to be a two car unit.

Therefore, one of the cars would have closely resembled a MBS.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 3 weeks later...

Pics of painted samples (along with those of the class 350 EMU) now on the product page of the Bachmann site. Interesting detail variations between the Gsyp and whiskered versions. Good to also see the BP in some sort of perspective.

RP

• RMweb Premium

Having read through the thread again and looked at the new pictures on the Bachmann site Modern Image list, I'm still uncertain as to what versions of the prototype they are producing. Can someone put me out of my misery and answer one simple question - am I right in thinking that neither of the green versions are correct for East Anglia in the 1950s - the speed whiskered one because it has the wrong window arrangement, the yellow panelled one because it has yellow panels rather than speed whiskers?

Having read through the thread again and looked at the new pictures on the Bachmann site Modern Image list, I'm still uncertain as to what versions of the prototype they are producing. Can someone put me out of my misery and answer one simple question - am I right in thinking that neither of the green versions are correct for East Anglia in the 1950s - the speed whiskered one because it has the wrong window arrangement, the yellow panelled one because it has yellow panels rather than speed whiskers?

I think you'r right, the one with whiskers doesn't have the horizontal bars across the windscreens and has a large brake van window so that isn't right for east anglia, the other is suitable but for a later period due to the yellow panel.

I think you'r right, the one with whiskers doesn't have the horizontal bars across the windscreens and has a large brake van window so that isn't right for east anglia, the other is suitable but for a later period due to the yellow panel.

Yes, I’d agree there. I too want one for the same period and region and cancelled my pre-order as a result of what I’ve seen on the Bachmann web site. Hopefully they may produce a suitable one (with speed whiskers) in a later batch. Looks like it’s going to be an excellent model though.

• 3 weeks later...

This truly is all one's Christmasses come at once. Hornby's venerable old creakers, or Derby's Rattlers that heralded their withdrawal from service? Doncaster's final idea on what a heavy fast mixed traffic loco should be, or Derby's old rustbucket? English Electric's screaming baby or a soon expected Sandringham, to operate the KX-Cambridge 'Beer Train' ? All this and B1s and V2s on decent chassis just round the corner too...

If your wallets can stand anything more coming out.....

31-516, the BR Green 2-car set with speed whiskers, is now being despatched from Bachmann to your local model shop.

According to Bachmann the BR Green 2-car set with speed whiskers is 32-516 and not due until December, unless you know different!

Cheers Godders

Aye. 'Tis a fine Christmas if you've admirers with a few quid banging on about what could they get you!

Which, incidentally, I don't! Think my planned additions will be funded by leavers from the reserve fleet, and hard work!

According to Bachmann the BR Green 2-car set with speed whiskers is 32-516 and not due until December, unless you know different!

Cheers Godders

Godders,

I am happy to say that I do know different.

Being a Bachmann dealer, we get out delivery notes e-mailed to us as soon as they are packed at Barwell, and 31-516 is in the consignment that Bachmann packed this morning!

At this time of year, it is not unusual for deliveries to be air-freighted in from China so that make it into the shops for Christmas, so this may be the explanation why they have arrived early.

Mike

I have 2 sets winging their way to me as i write, should be arriving Friday , if will post my first impressions which I fully expect to be favourable tomorrow,

I was lucky enough to ride the Derby Lightweights on their very first day of service in the Manchester area!!

Archived