Bachmann Derby Lightweight

LTfan

I've tried looking for news about the Derby Lightweight DMU, the speed-whiskers version, but I must have missed seeing something.

I would be grateful for an idea of when it's expected to reach the shops.

Many thanks

David

The Bachmann website is showing Dec/Jan

Jeremy

Many references omit DMBS E79076-82 and DTCL M79626-32 though these are listed in the 1959 Ian Allan Combined Volume. These may not have actually been built.

M79076-82 were Metro-Cammell vehicles, as were E79047-75. M79626-32 were Metro-Cammell DTCs. E79263-91 were in the same lot from Metro-Cammell but built as DTS.

• RMweb Premium

M79076-82 were Metro-Cammell vehicles, as were E79047-75. M79626-32 were Metro-Cammell DTCs. E79263-91 were in the same lot from Metro-Cammell but built as DTS.

That'll be me misreading my repro 1959 Combined Volume - it was nearly midnight by then !!

I'll edit the table.

Sorry,

John Isherwood.

• 1 month later...

Here's a bit more Lightweight variety - one of the four-car sets (possibly two as it's an eight-car formation) with the motor composite nearest. Note the unusual window layout between the two doors. These vehicles had the first class in the middle. The train appears to be a tour, probably in the north east somewhere, but I have no idea where.

Derby-LW_4-car_tour_s.jpg

This is one of the early, non-standard sets that went to the West Riding of Yorkshire. All were withdrawn in 1964. Note the different end.

Derby-LW_LeedsCentral_s.jpg

Guest Max Stafford

I'm thinking that top shot's in the Eden Valley somewhere or possibly West Cumberland. I think I see the merest hint of bars in the droplights!

Dave.

I'm thinking that top shot's in the Eden Valley somewhere or possibly West Cumberland. I think I see the merest hint of bars in the droplights!

Dave.

There are no window bars. The set is clearly a NER 4-car one not a West Cumberland 2-car set.

Guest Max Stafford

I didn't realise the either that the NER operated these or that the Cumberland units were all two car jobs, Robert.

Always something new to learn in this game!

Dave.

Oh 'tis truly a thing of beauty.

It certainly is; I had my mitts all over one on Saturday and this first engineering prototype certainly captures the the feeling of openness, space and light within added to the splendid view into the cab. The chassis block only slightly protrudes from the guards area.

Very, very seductive little thing.

Well now we've had Bruce 62440 (who kens far more about diesels than he'd care admit) refer to Claytons aloft as 'Flying Greenhouses,' their amply glazed DMU counterpart is surely about to hit the shelves too. And if she's as seductive as I expect, she'll be gracing many, many more layouts than just the sizeable contingent who have already nailed our colours to the mast. I can see appeal in all livery combinations, capturing market share from deep in steam turf right through to my beloved Diesel Livery Transition Era. One of the most anticipated new releases of recent times - and while some might raise an eyebrow at that remark - I'd say reflect on this type's role in the Modernisation Plan, as literally the first bold step. I will need to borrow someone's froth bund as the anticipation takes hold.

These vehicles had the first class in the middle. The train appears to be a tour, probably in the north east somewhere, but I have no idea where.

Waskerley (Co. Durham)

10th April 1965.

R.C.T.S. The North Eastern No.2 Rail Tour. Can't remember who the photographer was at the mo but I'll get there....

Porcy

I can see appeal in all livery combinations, capturing market share from deep in steam turf right through to my beloved Diesel Livery Transition Era.I will need to borrow someone's froth bund as the anticipation takes hold.

Oh indeed yes.

Let us not forget that the Border Union Railway Co Ltd intended to use them on the reopened Waverley route. Now I wonder what livery they would have been repainted into?

Re the froth bund. You can't borrow mine. It's saturated already. :laugh:

Bernard

Oh indeed yes.

Let us not forget that the Border Union Railway Co Ltd intended to use them on the reopened Waverley route. Now I wonder what livery they would have been repainted into?

Re the froth bund. You can't borrow mine. It's saturated already. :laugh:

Bernard

To be honest Bernard, I was looking for a loan of Jamie's in the interim, but I think the poor lad's drowned :sorry_mini:

Mention of their use by BURCo has in fact rendered me far, far worse. I had no idea :blush_mini:

Guest Max Stafford

Here, have some more froth! That looks exquisite and I don't know how I misseds the posting!

Dave.

To be honest Bernard, I was looking for a loan of Jamie's in the interim, but I think the poor lad's drowned :sorry_mini:

Well the shot of 46467 almost did for me, but no.

The pre-production shot does look good, but I'm not too fired up over these yet, until I revisit past threads. Short of a Swindon or Dr Foster set, they are what I've been waiting for MU-wise. Which reminds me of a job for this weekend...

Lo! He lives!!!

Another one missing presumed reduced to a gibbering shell by the LW latest :laugh:

When I finally darkened my own threshold last night, an intrigued WAG asked 'what were those vast Hattons orders placed earlier?' (other box-shifters and local retailers are available)

I had to explain that pre-orders differ from real orders (I fully expect joint pain in later life from spending so much time with fingers crossed at this dissembling sub-truth). Just hope she's not in when an order of the latter, tangible variety drops later today. :unsure:

Does this mean we might get a Test Car Iris??

Iris is a single car unit of which there was only two made ever and iris was a conversion of one of these

The Bachmann unit is a two car and I think it will be highly unlikely for them to do a single car

If you want Iris there is DC Kits, Hurst converison and also the silver fox rtr offering

HTH

I do like the look of that, now do I wait for a four car version

Cheers, Simon

...The Bachmann unit is a two car and I think it will be highly unlikely for them to do a single car

I do like the look of that, now do I wait for a four car version

That's some kind of optimism there :D

Not sure if these snippets of info are of usefulness or not.

The first Derby Lightweights appeared in 1954 and each two-car set was powered for use on the severe gradients of the West Riding of Yorkshire. Being motorised, both cars carried the 1949-56 totem. All had one peice windscreens.

A second batch was delivered towatrds the end on 1954. Instead of Leyland engines and torque convertor transmission, they had BUT (AEC) engines and a fluid flywheel and Wilson four-speed preselector gearbox (as on the GWR). There was only one power car per two-car set. More batches followed.

Splitting of the windscreens appears to have been in two stages around the early 1960s, the initial stage being a bar inside of the windscreens. A stronger arrangement followed with an exterior bar, and special 'notched' windscreen wiper bars had to be fitted in order to clear this bar. Not all windscreens were split.

Archived