Lime Street Station

Les Green

• RMweb Gold

Not sure what you mean by "connections in front of it"?

Hi Steve,

Its the connection arrowed in the enlargement

post-6662-0-13525700-1333525837.jpg

There is nothing in the sectional appendix to say drivers must stand clear of the points whilst the platform starters are at danger, which *implies* there was another signal on the platform controlling this connection, possibly a straight post LNWR signal with a lower subsidiary arm. (Or is the platform end signal applicable to the platform further left, i.e. the signal is to the right of the train?)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It is possible that the set of points illustrated are only used when entering the platforms. there are a signals in place at lime street which are part way down the platform.

Not really, you can't have unsignalled or unused facing points which is what they become when a train departs.

I'm afraid I don't understand the second half of your comment, I assume it's not referring to the current signalling which has absolutely nothing to do with the LNWR based signalling.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I collected my latest edition - No. 36 - of LMS Journal at the York show yesterday. In it the regular feature on signalling, "LMS Signals No 29.", by Reg Instone and L.G. Warburton deals comprehensively with the Lime Street Re-signalling of 1948.

Although the results of this major project are in the period immediately after that which we model, there is a wealth if information to help us improve the authenticity of our running procedures.

The project was originally planned just before the war, following an LMS Traffic Committee meeting which heard that the then present system was "Life Expired". It seems that much of the planning was completed during the latter years of the war with revisions being made up to May 1947.

The new system was commissioned on Jan 28th 1948. Within one month, the old signal box had been demolished and tracks laid over the area to allow extension of Platforms 6 & 7 and Siding E.

The article concludes that, although much modified, the Power Frame is still use, having been refurbished including new windows in 2003!

They made things to last in those days.

Steve.

I visited Liverpool Wednesday, took the kids to the new museum on the Pier Head - must say that is one fantastic new building - a must see for anyone visiting Liverpool. The Overhead railway coach (on a replica section of overhead bridge) is there, as is the old L&M steam loco "Lion".

Went by train from Wigan, and happy to see preliminary works are in progress for electrification, noticed a few over bridges being raised / rebuilt. Some station platforms have been recently lengthened also, though St Helens had a brand new station a couple of years ago. I presume the old manual boxes at St Helens, Prescott & Huyton will go, along with the semaphores. Most of the line has fairly new CWR rail also. Wonder what new trains / services we will have ?

Lime St has not changed much over the years, still has it's old character, though full of DMU's & Pendolinos, the Network Rail yellow HST New Measurments Train was visiting also. It's still a very busy station. Walked to the end of the platform & took a few photo's, no hassle.

Brit15

I collected my latest edition - No. 36 - of LMS Journal at the York show yesterday. In it the regular feature on signalling, "LMS Signals No 29.", by Reg Instone and L.G. Warburton deals comprehensively with the Lime Street Re-signalling of 1948.

Although the results of this major project are in the period immediately after that which we model, there is a wealth if information to help us improve the authenticity of our running procedures.....

I read that. Fascinating. Couldn't decide whether to buy the issue, though......

....the Power Frame is still use, having been refurbished including new windows in 2003!

Would that have been Windows 98, or Windows XP? :jester:

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

and if you look closely you'll see the fireman is on all fours on top of the tank

The only "Health and Safety" in those days were those copies passed around by smirking and sweaty handed schoolboys! :O

Were these clips of Liverpool trams out takes from a film as after each tram departs a Morris 8 series 1 four seat tourer also pulls out , it would appear to be the same car each time.

Yours ex Morris 8 owner,

Pete.

• Like 1