Lime Street Station

Les Green

Having spent the better part of 3 days on and off working through 24 pages of topic I can only give praise for the layout, It is absolutly stunning beyond words and has obviously been extremley well planed in all aspects, attention to detail is simply wonderful throughout and lest some people not forget it is a model in EM!!! the overall roof in its entirety will be outstanding as will the hotel once completed

I dont give a hoot about protoype working, I just want to know when its next exhibition outing is I must see this in the flesh

If there was an award for a lifetime achievement layout award I know where my vote would go

End of the initial design phase of the North Western Hotel was achieved today. The 3D computer model is now complete.

post-8613-0-51021800-1333383389_thumb.jpg

A front view of the hotel.

post-8613-0-18995300-1333383406_thumb.jpg

And the rear view, complete with fire escapes. This will be the view most people will see from the front of the layout. The gaping holes to the right of the model will be hidden from view. The trams use this space for their turning circle!

The next stage will be to dismantle the computer model and redraw the major items in 2D so the items can be laser cut. At this stage a lot of missing detail will be added to the drawings. The 3D model is missing such items as the eyebrow stonework, window ledges, decorative stone strings etc. Also the brickwork and stonework detail will be added.

• Like 9

Guest jim s-w

Hi les

What's the advantage of rendering it in 3d? Seems like extra work for no reason.

Cheers

Jim

Hi les

What's the advantage of rendering it in 3d? Seems like extra work for no reason.

Cheers

Jim

I guess you mean the advantage of modelling it in 3D. Rendering is adding shadows and surface materials to the 3D model. Rendering the model takes about 5 minutes!

I modelled it in 3D to ensure all the components cut will be to the final correct size and will have all the requisite tabs and slots in the correct places. Also there is a lot of interaction between some of the surfaces, particularly the roof components. I personally would rather get them right on the 3D model than have to individually shape each component during the build stage.

The five components that make the Northern section of the main part of the hotel are as in the drawing below. There are cut outs for each of the fifteen gables, a core for each of the fifteen chimney stacks (each stack being a different size) to ensure all the stacks are vertical and parallel, and cut outs for the formers to locate the roof sections on the model. Note the left hand end of the roof sections that have to intersect another pitched roof.

post-8613-0-24663800-1333391062.jpeg

• Like 5

Guest jim s-w

Thanks les.

So it's like a digital double check? Did you find you needed to do much tweaking when you 'put it together' or were you pretty much there anyway?

Cheers

Jim

Thanks les.

So it's like a digital double check? Did you find you needed to do much tweaking when you 'put it together' or were you pretty much there anyway?

Cheers

Jim

Er well, the construction of the real model is the double check. We haven't started the real model yet. By the way it is about 4ft wide, 2ft 6in high and 1ft 6in deep, so there is a lot of material going to be wasted if it is not designed right. At this stage I reckon there will be about 3000 to 4000 individual parts 300 of which will be chimney pots!

• Like 4

I hope you have access to a laser at the right price then! 3000 parts? That would cost me at least $1 each here in Brisbane! This will be another stunning addition to an already stunning layout though!

Looking forward to seeing this evolve.

Michael Delamar said :

heres one from the late 1930s.

Neat shot there of a LMS D1755 corridor brake composite behind the 'Patriot' reversing into Lime Street. Interesting to see the coach still carries full panelled livery and lamps above the guards duckets.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

shots of the station approaches before the changes to the signal box and platform extensions in 1948 are rare, heres one from the late 1930s.

Nice one Michael.

Lots of detail for us to incorporate when the throat area is detailed.

Rob can have a field day.

Particularly like the stuff around the turntable, and those posters on the wall.

We can try to reproduce that shot, without the hitch-hiker.

Steve.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

double exposure, but rare shot of Lime street in 1946

<snip photo>

The position of the balanced bracket and the connections in front of it would imply there were platform signals on at least one platform at Lime Street, are these modelled or is there information to prove / disprove my theory ?

• RMweb Premium

the climb out of Lime street behind a black 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoFTyUfjDfQ

That slipping bears out my observations from trainspotting days. Notice it passed at least two incoming trains, one held at a signal. I don't think I have ever travelled into Lime Street without stopping at a signal somewhere in the cuttings.

Michael Edge

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The position of the balanced bracket and the connections in front of it would imply there were platform signals on at least one platform at Lime Street, are these modelled or is there information to prove / disprove my theory ?

Not sure what you mean by "connections in front of it"?

Earlier posts on this topic included several photos of the signals on Lime Street.

There are a total currently of 32 working semaphores on the model, with several more to come.

Vast majority are platform mounted, exceptions being where the platform ends under one of the overbridges.

The double ground signal in the foreground of the recent picture of the Patriot propelling stock into a platform is also modelled.

The models are based wherever possible on photographic evidence, and are a mixture of LNWR lower quadrants and LMS conversions to upper quadrant.

Steve.