Outon Road

RBE

Hi again,

Can't believe I missed this in the challenge threads - I guess there is so much good stuff on rmweb I can't keep up with it all !

Is that hanging basket liner I see in some shots ? I have some but can't seem to make it look like, anything other than what it is .

Your grey class 31 - the 31/5 (?) is that a conversion from the Hornby 31110 ?

Hi Rob youre right there is a great deal of superb stuff on here. Glad youve found the layout. I always use hanging basket liner as a base layer under static grass. The original part which is in Model Rail this month was a bit of and experiment in ground cover. Phase 2 of the build I feel is an improvement. I use a very fine basket liner that I get from my local wilkinsons store. Its not as long and wirey as the garden centre stuff, some of which I used at first on phase 1 and still drives me mad!! The finer stuff makes a great scenic undercoat for grass. I then stick down long static grass bought from greenscenes on top. Gives lovely texture. As for the class 31 it is 31461 which is a detailed and fully resprayed Hornby 31105. Beleive it or not it was red stripe railfreight before. there are some progress shots of it on my workbench thread in weathering and painting section. If anyone is interested I will do a how to on loco detailing and weathering as I do it.

Cav

Weathering and detailing you will learn. haha.

It so happens that Poindexter has given his kind permission to use a commision to detail and weather a triple grey 37 into 37511 as a detailing how to thread subject so over the next week or so I will photograph progress and do a little write up for you.

The eth socket on the 31 is actually glued to the body and its the trailing end that latches itself under the bufferbeam when put together. Was actually a happy accident but worked well so left it.

Thanks John I'm glad Outon Road could inspire you, 80's in P4 sounds right up my street, although I do like the splash of colour injected mid way through the decade, a nice break from standard blue. Keep us all up to date on your progress.

Regards

Cav

Picked up a copy yesterday and although it has been said before, a superb article of a superb layout. The photos really are top notch.

Well done Sir.

I am really looking forward to seeing what you do after the extension is finished!! A larger layout may be?!........

Cheers matey and thanks for the compliments. I really dont know what my plans are after the extension is done. I dont have any room at home really so I think a bigger layout might not be possible. Outon Road is getting pretty big now at 15ft x 8ft (once the roundy roundy fiddle yard is done). Ive not given the next project much thought to be honest but Ill be pushing myself even further thats for sure. Building layouts are a progressive learning curve that no one ever reaches the top of!

Ive had EM or P4 running in my head and even a 2mm scale layout in mind. Who knows what the future may bring.

Regards

Cav

Ive had EM or P4 running in my head and even a 2mm scale layout in mind. Who knows what the future may bring.

Wow... T Gauge I can see running around inside a skull, but EM or P4, that's a big head ;-)

Just wanted to add to the "well done" posts having picked up MR on Monday... and sat and read whilst away this week... very nice indeed. Nice to see the whole thing with fiddle yards at the ends for operations. So much in such a small space it really is inspiring to show that you do not need complicated trackwork to achieve a superb result. Scenically, it's very effective too (but we know that don't we)... but the artilce coupled with the content of this thread are probably going to lead to some emulation by others. I think that P4/EM will improve the "look", but I accept that there will always be a trade off (not starting that discussion).

Anyway.. superb result.

Jon

Haha the head reference tickled me Jon. I really dont know about the P4 thing its that age old discussion really. Looks good though so certainly on the table. If I was to go 2mm though Id still build my own track as I really dont like the massive rails on standard track.

Cav

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks mate, are you planning any visits to any exhibutions that Im doing this year?

While Im on Ive just completed a repaint on my 90 into mainline which I feel is more appropriate for the layout. Still have to remove the vestibule rubbing plate and add screw links instead of the drophead buckeyes. Also a little more body weathering I think although it doesnt need much.

Cav

post-6894-0-57753300-1333963349_thumb.jpg

Not a lot of weathering no. The wires are in progress all masts are now made I just need to drag the layout out of storage and pop them on so that I can start making the actual wires themselves, gonna be a busy couple of weeks upto scalerail on the 21st. As a freight loco pretty much any distribution type services. I could do with some container flats but thats a later development as they are quite pricey. Might put it on a diverted WCML service too occationally.

Cav

Yeah Ive always liked mainline on them. They were originally a general traffic loco then later they were taken into the distribution sector so plenty of scope for use. This one is a later 90/1 distribution owned loco but I think itll also do nicely on the odd passenger train.

Cav

Well after a productive night soldering I have wires on phase 1. All temporarily tensioned to enable erection. The working mode will have the wires tensioned off scene by smiths coupling springs but this works for now.

I've given the wires a coat of very light almost pastel green to represent the oxidation of the copper but I can see another light coat will be needed in some areas that were missed or went on a bit thin.

Not surprisingly the first electric loco copped through Outon station is a rather clean looking 86 604.

post-6894-0-45856800-1334363134_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-58418200-1334363175_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-63191800-1334363208_thumb.jpg

Cav

Archived