Outon Road

RBE

Well with a lovely sunny day I decided to pull Outon Road Phase1 out of storage and start with the removal of the end wall. This is the first time the two halves have seen each other and I have to say the combination of the two work very well I think. The issue I have now is that Im not convinced the first part is upto the standard of the new bit. Looking a little tired. I now have a bit of scenic work to do to freshen it up I think.

Cav

post-6894-0-69308200-1329659277_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-46714200-1329659343_thumb.jpg

Maybe a touching in of the greens in the foreground on the old section - per the first photo....but yes, other than that Superb. It's amazing how you've managed to cram so much into a really small space... and that in itself is very inspirational. do you have a casette or fiddleyard system for operation?

Jon

Yes Pete I can see what you mean. The tracks dont look lined up but its due to the boards not being fixed together and sat on wonky ground. The far board on that pic is in fact a tad lower at the join making it look misaligned. Jon I will be using a fiddle yard. I have plans to do full roundy roundy but time has beaten me for mansfield so I will be running the old fiddle yards there. grr. I should be able to get the full yard done for its next outing though together with the OHLE.

Cav

Cav, call me strange but I'm always keen to see how people do their fiddle yards... if you get time, a photo or two will be great. Re the alignment... that's what I thought... glad you were able to clarify for PH.

Well Jon the fiddle yards at present are pretty sad 3ft long affairs where you have to lift the stock on and off. Bit of a pain really and limits the train lengths considerably. Once I get the full roundy fiddle yard done with traverser I'll post up some pics of that.

Cav

• RMweb Gold

Yes Pete I can see what you mean. The tracks dont look lined up but its due to the boards not being fixed together and sat on wonky ground. The far board on that pic is in fact a tad lower at the join making it look misaligned. Jon I will be using a fiddle yard. I have plans to do full roundy roundy but time has beaten me for mansfield so I will be running the old fiddle yards there. grr. I should be able to get the full yard done for its next outing though together with the OHLE.

Cav

will this make your layout wider than expected? I take it the depth will not be so great though ;)

No mate the old fiddle yards are the same size as the return curves on the new ones. Overall the layout will still be 14 to 15ft just not as deep although I will now need a table behind so the overall area will be the same.

Cav

• RMweb Gold

Hi Spike, rare chance to see you online :sungum: . Cheers for the comments on Outon Road, much apprieciated, the golf is a nice touch even if I do say so. The OHLE is currently under construction at the detriment of everything else at the mo tbh. Its a major soldering job. Updates will be posted when available. Cant press the shutter as my fingers are too burnt haha.

I don't know if I'll make stafford yet as its the missus' b'day that weekend but I'll certainly pop over for a chat and play if I make it down there.

Cav

I always think that anyone who tackles OHLE is brave. But why solder it all together? Much better to buy etched.

Cheers Cav, it's not a worry anyway, there's plently of elbow room where you are, just any extra width pushes you closer to the layout next to you and more stock might end up on the wrong layout :lol:

I'm happy with that of it happens lol

I always think that anyone who tackles OHLE is brave. But why solder it all together? Much better to buy etched.

Hi joseph, well I don't know of any etched wires for OHLE however its the wrong profile in any case as wires are round (ok the contact wire is kinda round with notches extruded into it to take the clips etc but unless someone come out with that round it is), as are the tubes that support them and the masts H section. The portals that I am currently building are back to back C section however. The single masts are H. At the min the OHLE is on the backburner pending work for Mansfield, I'm buried in wiring of a different kind as I've decided to rewire the whole layout and build a seperate control panel. Lot to do in less than 2 weeks!!

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Hi joseph, well I don't know of any etched wires for OHLE however its the wrong profile in any case as wires are round (ok the contact wire is kinda round with notches extruded into it to take the clips etc but unless someone come out with that round it is), as are the tubes that support them and the masts H section. The portals that I am currently building are back to back C section however. The single masts are H. At the min the OHLE is on the backburner pending work for Mansfield, I'm buried in wiring of a different kind as I've decided to rewire the whole layout and build a seperate control panel. Lot to do in less than 2 weeks!!

Regards

I take your point about round profile. But at the sizes involved you would have to have very good eyesight to notice the difference - especially if you paint the wires to give them a more suitable copper colour. I reckon that the etch - which is effectively square profile - is still rather finer than any wire you are likely to be able to solder. The main difficulty with 4mm catenary is getting sections that are long enough to look anything like right but also rigid enough not to droop, bend when warmed, etc. Etching also has its limitations here and I think the longest that ScaleLink did (strictly speaking HO) were about 450mm.

Archived