Outon Road

RBE

Guest jim s-w

I use coupling springs too - 2 on the contact wire one on the catenary wire meaning it actually works the opposite way round to the real thing, the contact wire pulls the catenary wire down into an arc rather than being held up by it. I anchored one end solid and sprung the other just make sure if you do this that you spring both wires at the same end. Otherwise after a while your droppers all end up at an angle. You can guess how I know this!

Cheers

Jim

Just had a good look through the thread (thanks to being on Jury Service and not being required all week!) and the extension looks superb! It looks like it's all one concpet rather than an exisitng layout enlarged.

Have you ever considered moving to P4?

Ill learn from your mistakes Jim thanks for that. I have plenty of springs as I said and not many wire ends!

Thanks for the positives James. Ive attached a pic of the layout at Mansfield last weekend. I am very pleased with how the extension has developed. Got some cracking comments at its debut, people particularly enjoying the curve on phase 2. I have considered P4 but the wheel standards seem more trouble than they are worth really. I dunno. Would be more tempted to go EM I think.

Cav

post-6894-0-21682800-1331288804_thumb.jpg

Cav, you've clearly got the skill to work in the wider gauges - P4 does require more care but EM is a good compromise for many so worth considering. Especially when you already put a lot of work into your p-way!

I totally agree James. I am yet to be convinced about P4 though as yes of course its far more accurate but EM is near as dammit and a bit more tolerant to less than perfect trackwork. Those P4 flanges are crazy small.

Cav

I can recommend EM - 90% of the appearance of P4 for 10% of the effort (dons asbestos suit for the forthcoming flaming ;) )

Ps - The extension is looking superb :sungum:

An asbestos suit may not be enough .... :triniti:

If you put the work in P4 works very well and once set up can work beautifully! EM is much more forgiving though and on plain line you can't tell the difference anyway! But around S&C you can - P4 is much finer in this respect and this is one aspect I love about it. But I used to be a P-Way engineer so may be it's to be expected?!

I think it's worth looking into before you start another layout. Both EM and P4 have their own merits, as does 00, so it down to personal preference. The key to convincing trackwork in any standard is choosing the correct fittings and prototype observation - you've got this already so you're halfway there!

Guest Dave.C
Got some cracking comments at its debut, people particularly enjoying the curve on phase 2.

This is the first real chance that I have had to comment since seeing it at the weekend. I thought it was certainly as good in the flesh as in some of the cracking pictures that you have supplied during construction.

Calling in at Mansfield certainly got my week away off to a good start.

Ill certainly look into the finer gauges for my next project. Deciding what to model is also a major step. Id be using the stock from this layout so theres a starting point. Plenty of time to decide on that though. Outon isnt even finished yet!!

Thanks for the comments Arte and Grim. Did you say Hi at the show Arte I spoke to so many people I lost track. Quite a few webbers which surprised me for such a small show.

Just need to start on the wires now and get my electric locos finished.

Cav

Ill certainly look into the finer gauges for my next project. Deciding what to model is also a major step. Id be using the stock from this layout so theres a starting point. Plenty of time to decide on that though. Outon isnt even finished yet!!

Thanks for the comments Arte and Grim. Did you say Hi at the show Arte I spoke to so many people I lost track. Quite a few webbers which surprised me for such a small show.

Just need to start on the wires now and get my electric locos finished.

Cav

I'd think carefully before changine gauges; P4 and EM are more "accurate", but a decision to re-gauge your stock (or some of it) is one that's not to be taken lightly. I've often wondered whether on this type of layout, you couldn't mix the gauges with perhaps P4 in the foreground main running lines and perhaps OO in sidings or a yard/depot behind. That way you could optimise stock options and with a little clever use of scenary ... and perhaps C&L or P4TC track the OO wouldn't look very different; it might not even be noticeable when "perspective" is taken into account. I've even wondered whether this could be done for justa small depot diorama, like Jon (Sandhills) last diorama... front running lines P4, with servicing road and rear road in OO.... with good track and some optical trikery - elevated? would it be noticeable? If mixing concrete and wooden timbers; bullhead and flat bottom it might be even easier to hide. Something to ponder perhaps...

I'll get my goat before I get shot.

Jon, believe me you really can tell the difference if you put 16.5 and 18.83mm track next to each other. Simply put, if Cav can build pantographs from scratch such as the one on that class90 then he will have no problems with building a layout and stock to P4 standards, its really not that difficult. The only real difference to the gauges is that it takes a little longer to get stock ready to roll, but I've changed the wheels on vi trains 37 & 47 in about 20 min

Dave

Dave, I'm in the process of going to P4 for this reason... that it does look so much better, I was just wondering if you didn't place them too close togther and used finescale for both whether it'd be that obvious. I have a photo plank of ballasted weathered C&L bullhead OO, and a shorter plank of the same in P4. When one is placed in front ot the other for photography it isn't that obvious... as long as the P4 is nearest and OO quite a distance back... and viewed from low down near the front... it can be hard to tell. Put them alongside either side of the 6' and yes it's obvious. But, I think it might be worth experimenting if you don't want to rewheel everything.

Jon

There are merits to forced perspective used by some modellers, but I think if you set your eye line at almost the rail level then you can't really tell which track is which so you could lie 5 pieces of rail next to each and not know they are single pieces of rail and not track.

Guest Dave.C
Did you say Hi at the show Arte I spoke to so many people I lost track.

Yes, we had quite a chat on Saturday lunch time including the origins of GOURANGA and the traffic cone on the wall. No problems about not remembering :no:

Indeed yes! Well third man really. The missus is still in attendance. Always better to have plenty of drivers especially when the layout size has grown. Be good to catch up again, your always welcome to have a play if you like.

Cav

Superb - the name on that garage looks familiar ;)

I particularly like the ones of the 31 with the gates, and the one with the 31 and the Sprinter, they're both really good pictures and show the layout off well.

Archived