DEEPING LANE DEPOT

mason

i couldnt resist a play about with the image editor, this will be one for the digi photo frame that will be fitted to the fascia panel on the fiddle yard this week, question to the masses, do you think the frame should sit at an angle facing up words or flat to the fascia board, im a little unsure for ease of viewing??

post-6696-0-06963400-1321895801.jpg

cheers

Hi Neil, Check out Marc Smiths, Hendre Lane as that info board works well.

i couldnt resist a play about with the image editor, this will be one for the digi photo frame that will be fitted to the fascia panel on the fiddle yard this week, question to the masses, do you think the frame should sit at an angle facing up words or flat to the fascia board, im a little unsure for ease of viewing??

cheers

I would be tempted to have it slightly angled, in the same way that computer moniters are supposed to be angled, as that makes it comfortable for people to view it, however that does depend on the height from the floor that you mount it at. (BTW I'm 5' 10" tall, and I'm not to keen on stooping down)

The other factor that I would consider is how you mount the screen, and what happens if the mounting method fails, with it being angled, it allows gravity to lend a hand in keeping the screen in place. :D

I would be tempted to have it slightly angled, in the same way that computer moniters are supposed to be angled, as that makes it comfortable for people to view it, however that does depend on the height from the floor that you mount it at. (BTW I'm 5' 10" tall, and I'm not to keen on stooping down)

The other factor that I would consider is how you mount the screen, and what happens if the mounting method fails, with it being angled, it allows gravity to lend a hand in keeping the screen in place. :D

Good point, also Neil, consider the lighting at different venues.

Hi Richard, hope your keeping well, i have found both articles cheers mate

Thanks Andy and Catkins, its all getting technical now :) i had actually settled on just a hole in the fascia board and popping it in, so a good re think is in order.

i think i may mount it at an angle on top of the fascia and this will as ctakin pointed out help in keeping it in place and also make it easy to remove when it gets transported.

another issue is ...which photos to use

A little update

there is another gronk on its way today, this time in blue, this will get the same treatment as the grey one with a possible attempt at fading the blue.

Also a dutch livery shark which has been on my wish list for a while.

And iv also purchased some detail parts..some half ton bags of sand, some build louvered vents and some roof vents to finish the high level factory off, all these from unit models, some really great products on there and alot of there stuff is on the list for the eventual new project.

Hi Neil, I like the new Avatar, Do I see a gronk heaven coming? How many colours of gronk can one man have? Mainline Blue, Mainline Grey, Intercity, Res, Black, NSE, and and don't forget a Green preserved one, the list goes on!!!!!!! :no:

HAHAHAHA cheers Andy, thats going to be the title screen for the digi frame i think.

i think i have created an gronk obsession, and by the looks of it there are a few more to get yet to, i like the idea of a visiting green preserved one though, i think im going to have to eventually start getting some that are to be sprayed up.

im after another grey one that i can convert into a sectorised variant and id love to have the confidence to do a flat cab roof version :).

The thing is Andy there are so many different liverys on the 08s and no 2 look the same and there so easy to accomodate for the layout sizes i build too. Maybe deeping lane could be a 08 stabling point, was there ever such a place???

post-6696-0-06963400-1321895801.jpg

cheers

Good shot - I must use the image editor more tones things down well.

Excellent gronk Neil all greased up in the right areas looking out for the Rf 08 (Blue Roof version) for Whalley - want a commission? :D

Going back on your new project I forgot about the Walthers stuff the Silos look excellent and quite a size when built - plenty of images of Peak Forest and Tunstead to look at on the net - Layout thread Great Tunsley Dale? (Great Rocks Tunstead obviously) is well worth a look for inspiration.

Ian

Hi Ian, the image editor is great, you just gotta not over do it, believe me i had all weird stuff going on :_

Thanks for the comment about the gronk, im really getting into the weathering now, if you want me to do one when you get it that would be no problem, i enjoy doing them mate.

in respect of the walthers stuff, i may just look for a few second hand bits i can butcher and then scratchbuild the rest, iv had a look at the drawings of the plan and its gonna be way to small to fit the walthers on.

Thanks for the tips on inspiration, ill check those out.

had a little free time today so i started on putting the digi frame into the fascia, it actually went pretty smoothly, i opted to go flat on the front ( i think because it was easier ) and it came out very well and seems very clear once the pics are rolling through. a lick of green paint and just some lettering to go on to finish it off.

post-6696-0-63456600-1322422647.jpg

iv also made a start on the new fencing that separates the car park from the railway, this was due to a giant cat attack in deeping.

all the posts and top wire, just the tricky main wire to be fitted.

post-6696-0-97779500-1322422750.jpg

And a few shots of some 08s and the new arrival 08623 which is the next loco to get some treatment.

i have also got alot more silver arrows on there way so all the other locos will be getting those fitted over the coming weeks

post-6696-0-52265900-1322422851.jpg

post-6696-0-75952700-1322422853.jpg

As always comments welcome.

cheers

• Like 3

HAHAHAHA cheers Andy, thats going to be the title screen for the digi frame i think.

i think i have created an gronk obsession, and by the looks of it there are a few more to get yet to, i like the idea of a visiting green preserved one though, i think im going to have to eventually start getting some that are to be sprayed up.

im after another grey one that i can convert into a sectorised variant and id love to have the confidence to do a flat cab roof version :).

The thing is Andy there are so many different liverys on the 08s and no 2 look the same and there so easy to accomodate for the layout sizes i build too. Maybe deeping lane could be a 08 stabling point, was there ever such a place???

I saw a long row of CONDEMED ones at Toton a few years back !!!!!

Hi all

just a little update.

The items ordered at the weekend have arrived.

vents for the factory roof have been fitted and some ton bags have popped up on site also.

there are still some factory wall side vents to paint and fit.

i have also had some foam from a friend and put some storage cradles on the fiddle yard just to keep things tidy while at shows. I Will be getting some more foam to kit out a stock box for the wagons etc.

Not glued down yet but i think it does the trick.

Also fitted some arrows to the 08, just a little weathering to add to these.

post-6696-0-22758300-1322604269.jpg

post-6696-0-09146500-1322604272.jpg

post-6696-0-97687900-1322604274.jpg

post-6696-0-96389200-1322604276.jpg

post-6696-0-97656500-1322604279.jpg

post-6696-0-99148700-1322604283.jpg

post-6696-0-02073800-1322604286.jpg

post-6696-0-49518300-1322604289.jpg

Hi Leon, thanks for the comments, im really happy with 37709, looks even better now iv fitted the arrows, iv just got to get 37800 looking as good now, still not managed to do any work on the blue 08, i think this will be a learning curve in fading blue.

well finally got around to doing the blue 08, i started to fade the blue using tamiya powders, blue and white, i did this with a little water too.

i then went over with a light dust of brown dirt powder.

once i was happy with it i the paint areas on the roof with railmatch roof dirt then stippled in some frame dirt over the top.

I then brushed in frame dirt on to the battery boxs etc and stippled in some dark rust powder.

once the roof paint was dry i lightly took a little away with a cotton bud.

I still need to airbrush the chassis but im really pleased with the results, especially to say i have never tried to fade blue before.

there are still a few parts that need a little more detail like rusty hinges etc.

post-6696-0-78857600-1322952048.jpg

post-6696-0-40768500-1322952051.jpg

post-6696-0-75194400-1322952053.jpg

post-6696-0-46278500-1322952056.jpg

post-6696-0-21733500-1322952059.jpg

please give me your comments on this, as its my first attempt a a faded blue weathering project

Cheers

• Like 1

If Im honest mate I think its a much better job than the grey one. You know my thoughts on the cake on wipe off thing so to me this one is a much better effort. I would like to see the cakey contrast on the roof blended a bit as to me its getting back to the wipe off thing Im not keen on but top marks for effort on this. You are growing in confidence with every piece of stock you do. If I could give you one piece of advice grab yourself a double action airbrush. The control of paint flow makes these effects a breeze with a little practice. The single action you have is all or nothing paint wise. You dont need a pricey one to weather with. A cheap chinese one off ebay for about £10 will do you.

Cav

Hi Cav, thanks for the hints and tips, i think im learning a little more every time i do a loco or wagon, i havent used the airbrush on this one on the body, im only going to use it on the frame and looking at this against the grey one ill be taking alot more off the grey one as it looks to much.

i think i will take the finish on the cab back a little but i still need to blend the edges in with powders yet, thats one thing i did notice after i took the phiotos.

i wasnt sure if id over done the fading either.

funny you should mention airbrushs, i saved some on ebay and told the missus to get me one of them and iv been told one has been brought and its a decent double action job.

Thanks for the advice and tips mate

Hi

Following on from yesterdays work on 08623, i finished it off by giving the chasis a light coat of frame dirt and then some touches of black and roof dirt.

im pleased with this now and just need to add the pipework to the buffer beams.

while i had the airbrush out i gave the shark brake van a light coat and then finished it off with powders, im trying to take RBE's advice and steer away from the caking it on approach and went a little more reserved on the shark.

to be honest it looks pretty good and im really happy with the rust effect on the ploughs.

Hope you like them too.

post-6696-0-71292000-1323003511.jpg

post-6696-0-25280700-1323003521.jpg

post-6696-0-68656000-1323003527.jpg

post-6696-0-82048200-1323003529.jpg

post-6696-0-13803200-1323003534.jpg

post-6696-0-31167400-1323003499.jpg

Cheers

• Like 4