More proposals from Modern Outline Kits

Horsetan

• RMweb Premium

My tuppence worth?

(In 4mm of course) there doesn't appear to be the 08 "lookalike" from the LMS. We had a couple of examples, 12134 & 12136, at Cambridge. Personally I'd like one to close my Cambridge collection (bar a Wickham dmu). I can't find a RTR or kit listed anywhere. Not sure of the class designation but the running numbers should pinpoint the way.

Stewart

In latter BR days, they were TOPS Class 11, I believe, though none carried TOPS numbers (or even Dxxxx ones, for that matter)

Ah...wouldn't a LMS 350 be a lovely loco. I think it is the largest class of locos built that has never been available as a model, kit or RTR in 4mm. 106 locos for the LMS and BR, 14 for the WD, 65 for the Dutch railways and 22 5ft 3ins gauge to Australia. Must not forget the six unclassed GWR 350 hp shunters based on the LMS design.

Ok the later class 12, 11, 10, 09 and 08s looked like LMS 350s but that is where things stop. If you were to convert a Hornby or Bachmann 08to a class11 then you would need a new chassis for the smaller wheels, the side frames may be reusable. A new lower running plate and new buffer beams that are not so deep. New engine room sides as the doors are not the same and they are deeper with new battery boxes. A new cab, roof profile is very different making the sides taller. If fact all you will be left with is the engine room roof, the loco front which will need to be made deeper, as will the fuel tanks. So all in all a kit (or scratch built) model is the way to go, as the big players in the RTR market will not make something with so many small differences to an 08 that still looks 08ish.

As for class 12 with its LMS style engine room and cab but owing to its larger Bullied-Firth-Brown box pock wheels it has the deep buffer beam and higher running plate of a 08, I am not sure if a 08 could be a donor or if a kit would be better.

Just the thought of a class 11 to the same standard as a MOK 08...... :imsohappy:

Ah...wouldn't a LMS 350 be a lovely loco. I think it is the largest class of locos built that has never been available as a model, kit or RTR in 4mm. 106 locos for the LMS and BR, 14 for the WD, 65 for the Dutch railways and 22 5ft 3ins gauge to Australia. Must not forget the six unclassed GWR 350 hp shunters based on the LMS design.

Just the thought of a class 11 to the same standard as a MOK 08...... :imsohappy:

Not to mention a handful built for industry here (ICI had a few for example). I've often wondered exactly how much input Derby had into the design since English Electric happily built plenty for other people and it was developed from the handful built between them and Hawthorn, Leslie for the LMS and GWR (and the similar but different for the SR). Would be good though, wouldn't it?

Adam

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the O Gauge List - my goodness, they look fantastic - the Armstrong 4-4-0 looks lovely.

Another thought would be the LMS 8F 2-8-0, possibly as chassis only?

The ideal would be both body and chassis. They are designed for each other, after all....

Agreed both body and chassis for a 4mm 8F would be best. Tender kits are already covered by other manufacturers so they wouldn't need to be done. That would save a little work.

Justin

• 7 months later...

Hello all,

I'm not normally in favour of putting down a deposit for a kit that has not been produced, but in this case I would, if I wanted one.

I would say in this case that the kit manufacturer is only asking for a small deposit (£50) and he has a proven track record of producing some fantastic kits. Having looked at the cost that the N.R.M. are now charging for copies of the loco drawings, and how many that he may need this is a small price to put up front to get this kit going. After that he has the cost of getting all of the masters made for the castings as well.

If you want a 15xx please express an interest and support this venture. Please get in contact by clicking on this link http://www.modernoutline.co.uk/ 

I have no connection with this manufacturer. But I would like to build this kit.

OzzyO.   

This is the only prospect of a modern-day 15xx kit, as nobody else appears likely to cater for this class whether in 4 or 7mm scale.

Years ago I think I asked Martin Finney about the possibility of this and the "Modified Hall", but got fairly short shrift!

Considering the interest we've had in just over a week then I think we have plenty of time to get the interest up enough to make this a reality

Now it's on the MOK web site & I've spoken to Dave about changing the advert in the guild mag to include the 15.

Telford should be a good gauge of interest as well.

Archived