MRJ 205

Fen End Pit

The Wild Swan website goes live on Friday morning, download for e readers will be done in due course.

Which Friday will that be then ? (says he expecting some unfortunate delay until Monday, sometime later than Friday)

And the date of the Friday after 29th March was?

So did I just miss the fanfare and website name in lights and it really did happen on that day? Because no website is much use if it isn't published.

• RMweb Gold

A tailpiece, apropos of these and other comments. In the course of looking for some van info generally I just dropped across a short article (one of a series) in MRJ45. It featured a Mainline Fruit A (2mm overwidth) and a Wrenn Mica (4mm overlength), both transplanted onto Ratio kit chassis (and compensated). These compromises were admitted to by the author, who didnt seem too worried about them, and FWIW are ones I'd be happy to accept myself, twenty years later, in that same spirit of 'middle ground' achievability.

I know you said tail piece :rolleyes: but if I remember correctly the subjects that article in MRJ 45 had a cut and shut job to correct dimensional inaccuracies: width with the Fruit A and length with the Mica (in much the same way as Mr Geoff Kent did in one of his books on wagon construction)...

...talking of Mr. Kent if we look through his wonderfully inspirational books (incidentally also published by Wild Swan) we will find plenty of models that were constructed without resorting to brass etch and white metal castings.

My point is that providing that the parts are correct why not use them. The LMS vans in MRJ 205 were beautifully constructed and AFAIK dimensionality correct.

To put it simply:

High quality construction + Prototype fidelity = a subject worthy of the pages in MRJ IMHO ;)

...but if I remember correctly ...

You don'ttongue.gif There might have been similar articles Griff, in issues I dont have filed, or you might be thinking of Brian Huxley's GW wagon series in RM - he chopped up more than one Mica (and an awful lot of other models of the time, including making a plywood Mogo from a Wrenn BR banana van).

The MRJ45 author is Martin Goodall; of the Fruit he says 'The fastidious rivet counter may complain that the body is 2mm over scale width, but it fits perfectly on (the chassis)'. Of the Mica, 'the ... model cannot be used to represent any of the GWR-built Micas without fairly drastic surgery. I have nevertheless used the body ... without amendment... It certainly has the look...'. Which IMO, it does.

I remember the article for other reasons; it deals with a couple of other Minks on which Martin compromises with the PC lettering transfers - specifically shortening the word 'Ventilated' by omitting the 'i' to make it fit the van end, which I thought was pretty clever

Joking aside though, I agree the point of your post is sound - I only said 'tailpiece' cos I didnt think anybody else would be that interestedwink.gif

I remember reading that article with the missing letter in ventlated when I started completing my back collection of MRJ. The brain really does well at filling in missing letters.

Didn't I kick up a fuss about wagons, I even had Roy Jackson chasing me around Scalefour North over it!

Mick Moore has some nice new etches to try next time anyway as I gave him some on Sunday there.

The big thing for me was sticking on the Masokits parts to 'improve' the model when they are a bit like sticking some of the A1 models roof grilles on a diesel. Just because its a brass part doesn't mean its more accurate but just a bit more robust. The Masokits levers for example can't be made to the correct length as they have been etched without accounting for the joggles to clear the axlebox and always end up short.

As for it not doing in MR etc they have done things like the Deltic detailing before so it is possible. Maybe one of the mags could do with filling the middle ground more a bit like Rail Digest attempted. The magazine i've discovered and lament the current lack of is Modellers Backtrack, some superb stuff in there.

MRJ has dropped some howlers for wagons in the past though like the steel mineral article where heavy duty w-irons were fitted, something I ironically copied on my first sprung mineral (an Airfix kit)..

a bit like sticking some of the A1 models roof grilles on a diesel. Just because its a brass part doesn't mean its more accurate

And that's a concept many people cannot comprehend!

Maybe one of the mags could do with filling the middle ground more a bit like Rail Digest attempted.

Model Rail Digest could have been a wonderful long term magazine but its book format (which I was told confused retailers) and what seemed like a lack of general avilability seem to have almost killed it at birth.

I think MORILL under Iain Rice tackled the middle ground pretty well.

• RMweb Gold

I thought the box van article was quite good and I would certainly build a couple using that article as a starting point. But something that I feel is missing from the modelling press at the moment is the middle ground article and if no one else includes it, it is just as well that MRJ has!

BRM's video tutorials are really good middle ground, but it is something that the magazines seem to be missing. Every so often a cracker will arrive in one of the magazines, for example Model Rail and the 5 plank Airfix wagon upgrade or BRM with Nigel Burkin's 122 upgrade I thought were a really good middle ground articles, taking something which is a bid dud and improving it, but there does seem to be a real lack in this type of article. I'm not saying for one minute that everyone should model to exacting standards, my great uncle for example just likes watching trains go round in circles and 'operating' is something that doesn't really enter his mind! If he likes it, he buys it, it is as simple as that and there isn't anything wrong with because a hobby is something that one should enjoy. But I do think there is a middle ground which the modelling press are missing and if MRJ are willing to cater for the 'upper middle - higher' bracket that is fine by me!

Sorry if I have drifted a bit!

Regards,

Nick.

The magazine i've discovered and lament the current lack of is Modellers Backtrack, some superb stuff in there.

My recollection of MBT (which may be subjective or mistaken) is that it didnt feature much in the way of 'hands on', more about approach/philosophy and prototype-based info. The latter being given as the reason why its content might as well devolve back into the same mag

a bit like sticking some of the A1 models roof grilles on a diesel. Just because its a brass part doesn't mean its more accurate

And that's a concept many people cannot comprehend!

Scope for a whole new thread of course, but I believe modellers dont generally make their own value judgments on any aftermarket parts (one that springs to mind is transfers). They trust that the manufacturer of said items knows more than they do. Which they maybe do, but it still doesnt mean they're rightwink.gif

Model Rail Digest could have been a wonderful long term magazine but its book format (which I was told confused retailers) and what seemed like a lack of general avilability seem to have almost killed it at birth.

Without starting any rumour mills, I'm inclined to think there were other factors.

I thought the box van article was quite good and I would certainly build a couple using that article as a starting point. But something that I feel is missing from the modelling press at the moment is the middle ground article and if no one else includes it, it is just as well that MRJ has!

Sorry if I have drifted a bit!

We do have to be careful about going OT in mag forums, it's not like we're moaning about the postman or saying we're sitting down with a cuppawink.gif Anyway as the thread for issue 206 is up and running now, it shouldn't inconvenience too many folk.

An interesting point though Nick, that's worthy of wider debate. It's surely indisputably better that the 'middle ground' content appears somewhere, rather than not at all. Would its more frequent inclusion in MRJ be a good thing I wonder, or would it be better in the mainstream mags? Would it prompt more to buy MRJ, and do something about the perceptions (right or wrong though they may be) that it's too highbrow, or would it cause the opposite problem for the mainstream mags?

Without starting any rumour mills, I'm inclined to think there were other factors.

I've heard a few things too!

But the whole is it a book/is it a magazine thing with a rather high price probably meant it never got the exposure it deserved.

A real shame as a couple of the books they produced alongside were excellent.

Rail Model Digest, (to give it its correct title) with Ian Rice (and Mike Peascod) at his best was perhaps more than a little middle ground.

A copy at random (vol4) shows amongst others 4mm wagon running gear (Masokits etc) scratchbuilding in card, Arcadia (Martin Brent) an EM Q1 (Finescale kit brass chassis) 3mm scratch locos etc, Blagdon 4mm f/s, DG couplings etc etc etc.

Still a good read but cover price £6.45 and that was what..? 15 years ago?????????

And there were other factors, a little mouse told me from a shed on dartmoor. ;)

• 1 month later...

I know these posts are annoying but I want to see if I have set a record. A single copy of issue 205 arrived at my local newsagent yesterday, 1st June. My "saved behind the counter" copy was not even there. I can only think the magazines have to fly here themselves and there is a great rate of attrition.

Whatever company is responsible for intl distribution is seriously mishandling this magazine. :angry:

Time to re-read my how to get it in Aus thread.

Regards,

David.

I know these posts are annoying but I want to see if I have set a record. A single copy of issue 205 arrived at my local newsagent yesterday, 1st June. My "saved behind the counter" copy was not even there. I can only think the magazines have to fly here themselves and there is a great rate of attrition.

Whatever company is responsible for intl distribution is seriously mishandling this magazine. :angry:

Regards,

David.

You have got that one right, the copies intended for Canada have not arrived yet to the best of my knowledge so either they are swimming or being rowed over, slowly. <_< I emailed the Canadian distributor a week ago but have not been favoured with a reply.

Cheers,

David

Regards,

David.

I believe the 'company' that handles the international stuff is still the redoubtable and excellent Shirley Rowe, of whom I will hear nothing bad said - so there!

If there's a problem - and clearly there is - I can hardly imagine it's down to her, especially given the usual ghastly shenanigans of posting overseas.

Archived