MRJ 205

Fen End Pit

A good edition in my opinion, but I'm slightly confused as to Totnes, a great layout. being described as 2mm (giving the impression of being 2mm finescale) when the builder says he used all peco code 55 track. perhaps it might have been more honest to say N gauge.

• RMweb Gold

A good edition in my opinion, but I'm slightly confused as to Totnes, a great layout. being described as 2mm (giving the impression of being 2mm finescale) when the builder says he used all peco code 55 track. perhaps it might have been more honest to say N gauge.

Neither confusing or dishonest. Totnes is built to 2mm scale and runs on 9mm N gauge track.

Jerry

The Ratio van article belongs in Model Rail or Hornby mag in 2011 and not MRJ, its far too basic. St Merryn article hopefully covers an aspect not seen in the book but I haven't read it through yet..

I think people will prefer this issue to the last one as its got more smaller articles that should cover more tastes though.

Glad my pictures came out ok, just need to order more stock now! I also see Mike Clark is selling an etched water scoop, think i'll stick to cast efforts there though!

Granted that most MRJ 4 mm wagon kit-building articles tend to replace the plastic axle guards with something etched and compensated or sprung, I imagine that the mainstream magazines would simply build the Ratio kit as supplied (and slap on tension-lock couplings!). I think this could be a "middle ground" article as well, as the use of Masokits parts lifts it beyond a standard kit-build. I was heartened to learn that I'm not the only one who hasn't built any brake vans yet. ;)

I didn't detect any change in paper quality in my copy. (Who else remembers the use of newsprint in the MRC in the mid-1970s? :( ) MRJ 205 seems to have an LSWR theme by the looks of it -- not surprising with Barry Norman in the editorial chair this issue -- or am I stating the obvious?

• RMweb Gold

I don't really have problem with MRJ's publication delays. However I do get a bit miffed that, as a subscriber who has supported WSP's cashflow for many years, I still haven't got my copy.

Blimey, Jol - that's poor. I received my copy (via overseas subs in Newton Poppleford) in California on Saturday. So Didcot to Devon to Oceanside is quicker than Didcot to Suffolk...

Blimey, Jol - that's poor. I received my copy (via overseas subs in Newton Poppleford) in California on Saturday. So Didcot to Devon to Oceanside is quicker than Didcot to Suffolk...

Hi John,

it turned up at lunchtime today :)

Either I live too far east for WSP to think I'm a UK subscriber :D or I'm at the bottom of the mailing list. Other things the Royal Mail deliver don't seem to get delayed.

Jol

Seems like a pretty good issue :) Kept me entertained for a good while anyway!

Granted that most MRJ 4 mm wagon kit-building articles tend to replace the plastic axle guards with something etched and compensated or sprung, I imagine that the mainstream magazines would simply build the Ratio kit as supplied (and slap on tension-lock couplings!). I think this could be a "middle ground" article as well, as the use of Masokits parts lifts it beyond a standard kit-build. I was heartened to learn that I'm not the only one who hasn't built any brake vans yet. ;)

I thought it was a decent article - perfect to produce a wagon for EM (or even 00 finescale). The end result is rather pleasing and I do like Mick Moore's models too!

I think it's far beyond items in some other monthlies - compare this result with the 0 gauge wagon in one mag's current issue which looks like somoeone's vomited on it rather than making it appear rusty! :lol:

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived yesterday and a thoroughly good it is too. I thought the photos of Totnes were just stunning and the double page colour spreads are an example of what MRJ does really well. If nothing else, the St Merryn article has persuaded me to buy the book when I next see it. Don't really go a bundle on early pre-grouping but the NER 2-4-0 is a stunning piece of modelling and painting. Haven't read the wagon article yet but seems ok. Likewise the M7, which on first reading confirms my opinion that 0-4-4s can run with a bogie resting on the stretcher if the driven axles are compensated/sprung (well if it works for Martin Finney...).

All in all an excellent issue and much better than the last which I found quite disappointing (but didn't like to say it... until now).

Wonderful issue. Superb photography throughout and (as I think someone else mentioned) two or three of which would make a great new "This Is A Model Railway" poster!

The Tennant 2-40 is a masterclass (anything NER gets my vote though). Totnes is breathtaking and the rest is dead good 'n' all!

Slight aside, it smells different and, I think, feels different? Better quality paper? Or do my nostrils and fingers deceive me?

• RMweb Gold

Don't know, but there is a very valid reason behind the delay.

Let me guess - Wild Swan went shopping at the Apple store and there's been a delay while all the DTP equipment has been set up...B)

Seriously, this issue is very good and it's a pleasure to see the photos of Totnes. Unless I'm being dense, I can't see any credits for them.

Some (many!) years ago, I was fortunate to see its predecessor when JBS lived in London. We'd gathered at John's place for a early planning session on Copenhagen Fields. A great shame the layout was very permanently built-in, it would have been a show-stopper at exhibitions.

Mark.

• RMweb Gold

Seriously, this issue is very good and it's a pleasure to see the photos of Totnes. Unless I'm being dense, I can't see any credits for them.

Some (many!) years ago, I was fortunate to see its predecessor when JBS lived in London. We'd gathered at John's place for a early planning session on Copenhagen Fields. A great shame the layout was very permanently built-in, it would have been a show-stopper at exhibitions.

Mark.

The pictures are the work of Barry Norman, Totnes being set up in John's front room for the day. Barry took pictures of Highbury on the same day (set up in the dining room) but to my great shame I haven't got my finger out to write the accompanying article yet.

I would agree with the general concecus that this is an excellent issue, the Totnes pictures realy are stunning.

Jerry

Likewise the M7, which on first reading confirms my opinion that 0-4-4s can run with a bogie resting on the stretcher if the driven axles are compensated/sprung (well if it works for Martin Finney...).

Actually, it worked quite well for George Norton's NER G5 and MR Kirtley Well tanks (and possibly others) before the Finney M7 appeared' if my memory is correct. They were part of George's Connoisseurs Choice range (now part of London Road Models). I think that the idea really goes back to Mike Sharmans "Flexichas" concept.

Jol

Is MRJ only obtainable by subscription now? I cannot find anywhere that stocks it.

It's available from 3 shops in Penzance, Smiths, Menzies and a sole owner paper shop,

so no it's not only available by subscription.

• RMweb Gold

Didn't understand why the M7 conversion is in a conversation format and its a bit wordy where more pictures should have made it plainer and simpler

I'd agree with that, but it was nevertheless very interesting. His point about the narrow cab T9 being a 'challenge' to convert to P4 echoes my own thoughts on the matter (not that I'm planning to convert mine anytime soon...)

The Ratio van article belongs in Model Rail or Hornby mag in 2011 and not MRJ, its far too basic

I think you're being too harsh here, Craig. I thought the work was neat, concise and the finished articles looked good. Your own underframes are excellent and your standards very high, but unfortunately not everyone is going to be able to emulate that, and I thought that the MRJ article was fine. The fact that the subject matter was perhaps pitched at a slightly easier level of achievement helps provide a nice sense of balance in this particular issue, which overall I thought was a corker.

I know the real place Totnes very well, especially the station, and this model just blew me away when I first saw it 'in the flesh' at RailWells a couple of years ago.

I think you're being too harsh here, Craig. I thought the work was neat, concise and the finished articles looked good. Your own underframes are excellent and your standards very high, but unfortunately not everyone is going to be able to emulate that, and I thought that the MRJ article was fine. The fact that the subject matter was perhaps pitched at a slightly easier level of achievement helps provide a nice sense of balance in this particular issue, which overall I thought was a corker.

I'd agree with that Tim, the level of detail concerned with those LMS vans looks about right (though some safety loops might have been nice I suppose) for layout running as opposed to something meant to survive a good coat of looking at, and as others have said, could you imagine it appearing in any of the other periodicals? Time was when this kind of thing did appear in RM and very frequently in MRJ (complete with guides to the real thing) but like much else, I suppose improvements in RTR and the fact that 'it's been done' respectively count against it. Equally, though I know I've been marking out holes and cuts that way for years (honest!), it's good to see it in print. This is the kind of 'How of earth do I do that?' question that can - does - put newcomers to scratch-building and kit-bashing off because it seems silly question. Accessible 'finescale'? Whatever next ;)

Adam

• RMweb Gold

I'd agree with that Tim, the level of detail concerned with those LMS vans looks about right (though some safety loops might have been nice I suppose) for layout running as opposed to something meant to survive a good coat of looking at, and as others have said, could you imagine it appearing in any of the other periodicals? Time was when this kind of thing did appear in RM and very frequently in MRJ (complete with guides to the real thing) but like much else, I suppose improvements in RTR and the fact that 'it's been done' respectively count against it. Equally, though I know I've been marking out holes and cuts that way for years (honest!), it's good to see it in print. This is the kind of 'How of earth do I do that?' question that can - does - put newcomers to scratch-building and kit-bashing off because it seems silly question. Accessible 'finescale'? Whatever next ;)

Adam

In loud agreement with you here, Adam - your last sentence sums up the whole ethos of this issue which, for me, was the best MRJ in a long time. It was similar in tone to some of the pioneering work done in the early days of MRJ - I well remember the issues that had a theme of pragmatism in terms of going 'finescale' - IIRC issue #9 was the Scalefour Special. This issue, though more broadly-based, certainly evoked some of that accessible, pragmatic air of old. Top marks to Barry Norman and the MRJ team, it was well worth the wait.

As I mentioned in a previous posting about MRJ I do not always buy it but this issue met several of my needs. Interesting layout in Totnes actually made me wonder if N gauge was the future. Pity the pictures were not a little bit better but I'm not complaining. Useful articles and items on St Merryrn, van construction. A sensible and balanced editorial rather than the absurd soap boxes sometimes published. Variety and not dominated by an article on one person's passion. All in all a good buy - this time.

As mentioned by others there is a need for a magazine for those in the middle ground. Mention of milling out the footplate of the M7 - I think a Dremel in a stand would be able to do this at least worth a try if a) you can get a small end mill and b)if you do not have a lathe(requires an additional fitting)or a vertical miller (don't think a horizontal mill would do it). That's more like model engineering.

Be interesting to see what MRJ 206 brings forth.

RichardS

• 2 weeks later...

The Wild Swan website goes live on Friday morning, download for e readers will be done in due course.

I have to say in their defence that the modelling magazine I have bought since Issue 0 (it arrives when it arrives, I don't count the days) is IMHO the best on the market by far, and as long as they can continue to produce it to the standards they do without access to a PC, I say well done and good luck to them.

It's the only mag I keep complete, and I can still get modelling inspiration from reading through the back issues.

I will admit that being able to order Wild Swan books and pay my annual MRJ dues direct from a web site would be useful, but their mail order is efficient enough.

regards

Stewart

The Ratio van article belongs in Model Rail or Hornby mag in 2011 and not MRJ, its far too basic.

Interestingbiggrin.gif

I think in using plastic solebars combined with other components, it's an accessible approach, but rather than offer an opinion as to which of the two mags it 'belongs' in, I'd say it simply highlights the lack of a publication catering for that middle ground.

A tailpiece, apropos of these and other comments. In the course of looking for some van info generally I just dropped across a short article (one of a series) in MRJ45. It featured a Mainline Fruit A (2mm overwidth) and a Wrenn Mica (4mm overlength), both transplanted onto Ratio kit chassis (and compensated). These compromises were admitted to by the author, who didnt seem too worried about them, and FWIW are ones I'd be happy to accept myself, twenty years later, in that same spirit of 'middle ground' achievability.

Archived