MRJ 205

Fen End Pit

According to MRJ 204, 'MRJ No. 205 should be on sales on 24th February 2011'

Nearly a month late now? which is bad, even by MRJ standards.

David Barham

There have been problems at Wild Swan; nothing to worry about. We will all have to wait patiently.

Bill

According to MRJ 204, 'MRJ No. 205 should be on sales on 24th February 2011'

Nearly a month late now? which is bad, even by MRJ standards.

David Barham

It will be four weeks this coming Thursday (24th March), which was not unusual in days gone by -- we have been spoilt recently! (I would expect to see the next issue in the shops between two and four weeks after the published due date, and it was very rare for it to go beyond that.) Before the discovery of RMweb I used to think that I had missed an issue, but someone always posts here to tell us what's in the latest issue when it appears... :)

Have now got my copy contents include:

Small Suppliers Forum

Totness change for the Ashburton branch John Birkett Smith

Marking out a hole by Mick Moore

Tennant of the North by Bill Davis

LMS 12 ton covered goods van by Mick Moore

Converting the unconverted by Phillip Hall

A light on DCC short circuits by Peter Ross

Top motch LSWR vans by Gerry Beale

St Merryn by Eddie Bourne

Letter

Diary

by the way MRJ 206 is not too far away either

• RMweb Gold

Only in MRJ could we have an article called "Marking out a hole" :lol:

Next months will have the next chapter in 'Spotting,Drilling and Reaming' the said hole. :lol:

Just picked up my copy (from 53a Models in Hull).

The pictures of Totnes are just jaw dropping! I know its a different area geographically but they remind me of my reaction when I read the article on Chee Tor many years ago. The mags got to be worth buying just for this article alone.

Note to MRJ editor; some years ago you included pull out A3 size posters of Bramblewick and Hursley. These posters are above my workbench to remind me that "that'll do" isn't good enough. A similar poster of Totnes would be most welcome.

If I remember rightly, this will be one of the very few occasions they've had an N scale layout, as opposed to 2mm, in MRJ.

Yep, the other N gauge layout was 'Ashburton' also by John BS. And they have threatened to feature 'Law Junction' but I don't think that has happened yet. Apparently 'Acton Main Line' was turned down for being N gauge (and possibly because it has code 80 track). There are some other potential candidates like 'Loch Tat' and I wonder if any of Andy Calvert's efforts would have been good enough.

G.

My copy arrived this morning. The guest editor is Barry Norman and he has been allowed to make a good job of it.

The feature on Totnes looks comprehensive and deserves unhurried reading - two nights in bed should do it! My eye was caught by Mick Moore's thorough treatment of the Ratio 12T LMS van with lots of etchy bits, weathering and the works, and by MRJ's conversation with Philip Hall on the methods he used to convert the Hornby M7 to EM or P4: again, the word "thorough" seems appropriate. The first part of an essay on operating St Merryn, though welcome, does make me wonder what the point was of bringing out a book on the whole layout and then supplementing it in this way.

Sadly the delayed publication date means that seven exhibitions that have already taken place are listed as forthcoming events. If I were in charge of the Scalefour Society's advertising I would raise at least one eyebrow when discovering that the ad for the S4Soc workbench on 26th March hit the streets the previous day!

To end on a positive note, the piece by Mick Moore on drilling a hole is a fine piece of lateral thinking - just the sort of thing that MRJ does best. Seriously.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

I have had the pleasure of watching Mick Moore at work! Not everybody would wish to do things the way he does them but he certainly has an ability to look at things in a different way and produces some very good models by doing so.

Watching him mark out a hole position then watching Roy Jackson take a big hammer and a centre punch and whacking a centre in just the right place is a brilliant example of "more than one way to skin a cat".

As Mick himself says, it takes a degree of experience and skill to do it Roy's way. Mick's way is a little slower, a deal more subtle and gives a much better chance of getting the hole in the right place!

Mick really could do a long series of article on his methods. Most would involve lathes and milling machines, which always seem divide opinion on here! The LMS van floor (pictured in the same issue) had the rebate along the edge (for the solebar to sit in) milled, so milling is not just for metal.

Most would involve lathes and milling machines, which always seem divide opinion on here!

I would estimate less than 1% of RMWebbers have such tools, and probably less than 1% of the rest have space for such big tools.

However, it would be nice to see the occasional small article on such things yo give a flavour of what is possible with them. I possibly just fit in the second category - I probably could find space if I had to but can't really think of a justification and it is all a bit beyond me anyway.

But I wouldn't want to see a 10 page article filling the covers of MRJ.

My missus was highly impressed by Totnes, which says a lot as she generally has little interest in anything below 7mm scale. It's beautiful, and reminds me of a fine summer's day when I stood with my father in the castle grounds and watched a County class 4-6-0 steam by on a passenger train. Seems like yesterday - sigh!

Surprised no one has mentioned the beautiful NER 2-4-0. What a lovely job!

Got my copy today at the club while the Scalefour Society workbench was ongoing (yup reading the advert for it at the time was amusing :rolleyes: ).

Totnes is superb in the flesh and the article doesn't let it down. Its also got a very nice plan included as well :). The 2-4-0 also looks superb though I haven't read it all yet.

Although I joked about the title only being in MRJ the article on drilling a hole is concise and a useful workshop practice that has wide ranging applications for modellers.

Didn't understand why the M7 conversion is in a conversation format and its a bit wordy where more pictures should have made it plainer and simpler. The Ratio van article belongs in Model Rail or Hornby mag in 2011 and not MRJ, its far too basic. St Merryn article hopefully covers an aspect not seen in the book but I haven't read it through yet..

I think people will prefer this issue to the last one as its got more smaller articles that should cover more tastes though.

Glad my pictures came out ok, just need to order more stock now! I also see Mike Clark is selling an etched water scoop, think i'll stick to cast efforts there though!

The Ratio van article belongs in Model Rail or Hornby mag in 2011 and not MRJ, its far too basic.

Methinks this is rather harsh. I would love to see such methods described in Model Rail or Hornby Mag but I rather fear that hell will freeze before that happens!

Chris

The Ratio van article belongs in Model Rail or Hornby mag in 2011 and not MRJ, its far too basic.

Methinks this is rather harsh. I would love to see such methods described in Model Rail or Hornby Mag but I rather fear that hell will freeze before that happens!

Interestingbiggrin.gif

I think in using plastic solebars combined with other components, it's an accessible approach, but rather than offer an opinion as to which of the two mags it 'belongs' in, I'd say it simply highlights the lack of a publication catering for that middle ground.

Guest notascoobie

Is the late arrival of MRJ205 also delivering an all time record?

Fully 50% of the diary entries had been and gone before the mag got to me.

On a less sarcastic note, Totnes looks as good in the flesh as it does in the excellent photos.

Toodlepip

Vernon

A fine issue, not read it all yet but it plenty of interesting articles.

To end on a positive note, the piece by Mick Moore on drilling a hole is a fine piece of lateral thinking - just the sort of thing that MRJ does best. Seriously.

Agreed. I'd never thought of using a needle in a pin vice or centre-popping with a small drill, being trained to use scriber and centre punch in my machine shop days, so I've learn't something there. Hopefully there's more to follow.

My first impressions were that the content was up to the usual MRJ standards but has the grade of paper changed? MRJ are not alone as certain aircraft magazines are far worse.

I suppose it is all about meeting the rising costs of the raw product. At least We can purchase our favourite magazines.

Don't know, but there is a very valid reason behind the delay.

I don't really have problem with MRJ's publication delays. However I do get a bit miffed that, as a subscriber who has supported WSP's cashflow for many years, I still haven't got my copy.

Archived