Lifting old style BR wooden containers

• RMweb Gold

Can anybody please point me in the direction of any photographs of old style containers being lifted on or off a wagon or trailer? My own library has failed me and Mr Google can't seem to oblige either. I'm trying to find out if they were lifted using any sort of a frame, or were chains from the roof-top lifting rings simply slung over the 'ook of the crane?

Many thanks,

Bob.

Those are cracking photos, Arthur. I wonder if they could somehow be transferred to the BR Road Vehicles thread?

Do you know where the first and third one were taken?

I remember a forklift like the one in the last shot at Swansea (Hafod) goods depot- I think it lasted until the depot shut in the 1970s.

Those are cracking photos, Arthur. I wonder if they could somehow be transferred to the BR Road Vehicles thread?

Do you know where the first and third one were taken?

Hi Brian, as Merf mentions, the first and third are BR publicity shots and I'm not sure that locations are given but I will check tomorrow. Not much help but the second is a BICC publicity shot and is Leigh, Lancs, where they had a factory. It does seem sensible to include them in the BR vehicle thread so I'll just re-post them there.

• 1 year later...

Having worked for the cartage dept at Bristol, 1959-63, I can say that the most usual way that the chains were attatched were by a man holding on to the chains and being lifted by the crane off the ground and on to on to the roof of the container. Then staying on the roof untill the container was positioned on the road vehicle, he would then unhook the chains and be lowered back to the ground holding on to the chains. He also obtained a better grip by wrapping his legs around the chain.

This is absolute fact as I done this myself on many occasions while working as a vanguard at Temple Meads.

Regards, Keith.

• RMweb Gold

Can anybody please point me in the direction of any photographs of old style containers being lifted on or off a wagon or trailer? My own library has failed me and Mr Google can't seem to oblige either. I'm trying to find out if they were lifted using any sort of a frame, or were chains from the roof-top lifting rings simply slung over the 'ook of the crane?

Many thanks,

Bob.

Probably a 4 leg sling. Could be wire rope http://www.ashleysling.com/bridle-slings-four.htm or chain http://www.liftsafesolutions.co.uk/id143.html

• RMweb Premium

Having worked for the cartage dept at Bristol, 1959-63, I can say that the most usual way that the chains were attatched were by a man holding on to the chains and being lifted by the crane off the ground and on to on to the roof of the container. Then staying on the roof untill the container was positioned on the road vehicle, he would then unhook the chains and be lowered back to the ground holding on to the chains. He also obtained a better grip by wrapping his legs around the chain.

This is absolute fact as I done this myself on many occasions while working as a vanguard at Temple Meads.

Regards, Keith.

Sounds like you were working under the usual draconian health and safety rules then Keith :-)

David

And I always thought these containers had a big ring in the centre for the hook! Isn't that the way Meccano portrayed them on theirs - either Hornby 'O' gauge or H-D, not sure which?

Another illusion shattered.

Stewart

Dublo ones had a ring screwed into the roof while the 0 gauge ones had a ring attached to four pieces of chain - rather more prototypical. The less said about the lithographed sides and roof the better, but it was the tinplate era. There were working cranes too in both scales.

Sounds like you were working under the usual draconian health and safety rules then Keith :-)

David

Yes indeed, especialy seeing I was a 15/16/17 year old vanguard [ drivers mate ].

On the parcels side of the railway you were a vanboy, but on the "superior" cartage dept , working on freight, [usually 8 ton artics] you were a vanguard.

Keith.

Archived