Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Highland Baby Sulzers

Nice. But what class of loco is hidden behind 24107? A Class 50 maybe?

The loco between 24107 and 08620, do you mean?

It has round buffers, didn't the EE Type 50's all have oval ones? I may be wrong.

More likely a Brush type 4. (Cl 47). The vertical handrail looks right and then there is the the end of the horizontal handrail going across the bottom of the window line and the bend in the front at the corner, that makes me think this. Again I could be wrong.

• RMweb Premium

The loco between 24107 and 08620, do you mean?

It has round buffers, didn't the EE Type 50's all have oval ones? I may be wrong.

More likely a Brush type 4. (Cl 47). The vertical handrail looks right and then there is the the end of the horizontal handrail going across the bottom of the window line and the bend in the front at the corner, that makes me think this. Again I could be wrong.

Only just seen that, after many minutes of trying.  And yes, it's a 47 - no doubt whatsoever about it.

Looking again I agree it's a 47. Initially I thought the shelf below the cab windows looked too pronounced but the handrails do give it away.

Edited by brushman47544

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

alas time for bed, but after a quick scoot round, i found possibly D5125 and D5131 with arrows on doors - how common was this?:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6263527264/in/set-72157627812411185

unfortunately can't see the right end of 25 and 31 doesn't have the odd 'morse code' surround to the headcode box

Edited by keefer

really trivial bit of trivia, the picture of damaged 5131 reminded me

back in late December 1972 a scrapyard in Kilnhurst South Yorkshire took consignments of cut up loco parts from BR. No complete locos were involved but the yard was piled high with bits of Warship, Hymek and Clayton, parts from multiple victims could be identified from cabsides and cab interiors

amongst the exotica were two oddments,the control desk from 5328 and one class 24 cab door in blue with a double arrow on it, 5131 was scrapped at the same time as 5328 and many claytons, so here, I reckon was its final sighting

The yard was swarming with train spotters clambering about on the jagged metal, the police were very understanding once we showed them our notebooks

These things don't happen any more

Edited by scorpion
  • Like 1

just found the notebook, how's this for a days spotting in Yorkshire,7003 7005 7010 7013 7019 7082 7063 7073 7033 7085 7037 7095 803 807 809 811 825 827 866 867 8567 5131 5328

many clayton ends but not many cabsides

and yes, my book did note that only bits of each were present

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

to go OT, but in response to scorpion's post above

thought that was a v. early withdrawal for a 53xx - indeed, it was first of the 26s to go.
listed as cut at glasgow works 12/72, obviously they didn't do the whole job!

http://6lda.wordpress.com/test-history/d5328/

presumably she and the others were only 'cut' as far as removing anything useful, then the remaining bits'n'pieces sent some considerable distance to scrappies to finish the job

Edited by keefer

the chunks were mostly cab sides and fronts, still with control panels attached in 5328s case, very few bodysides and no heavy underframe or bogie parts, possibly alloy bits rather than steel

the brass BRCW builders plate was still attached to the desk.

this was December 72 so just days after it was recorded cut up in Glasgow

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...