Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

• RMweb Gold

How about this then (Coglaod/Durston - sorry that it's GWR which might not suit you) -

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/86271609.jpg

cogload junction

Battledown flyover might also be worth a look - as at Cogload the girder structures are parallel to each other but not in line laterally -

battledown flyover

Edited by The Stationmaster

Wow, Mike that wins the prize for the most unusual bridge!

I've Googled and come up with dozens of designs, so suspect I will have to make my own or cannibalise Peco bits.  Any other manufacturer?

It would appear a 90' span is no problem at all...

steel truss bridge

Just had a thought.  Maybe Ron Heggs could knock one up for me.  Shouldn't take him more than 10 minutes or so.... :biggrin_mini2:

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gordon,

A 90ft span is ok, it is just a matter of increasing the girder depth accordingly. But I'm puzzled why you need such a span? There seems to be a wider clearance on the lower track than strictly needed? The BR structure gauge for a single track is 15ft-4in. Even allowing for the skew and abutments that doesn't require a 90ft girder?

For the double tracks I think it is very likely that the tracks would separate to allow a 3rd girder between them. The slew function in Templot is intended for such requirements. If the bridge is constructed with cross-girders and jack arches there is no reason for the tracks on the bridge to be dead straight.* This type of construction has the track in ballast on the bridge which also makes it easier to model than waybeams. smile.gif.

*Within reason. Curved track on a bridge imposes side loading on the structure which has to be allowed for in the design. For any significant curving it will be necessary to apply a speed restriction over the bridge.

regards,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne

The reason I thought of the Southend loop at Shenfield is that it does not use a truss bridge but it is on a single line going under a double track where both are on embankments of different elevations. The problem is that whilst a footpath passes close to it it’s about 3/4 mile from the nearest road (Alexander Lane - again).

It is similar to the model in your post #2311

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

p.s. Gordon,

If you have the book "Bridges For Modellers", page 30-31 shows a skewed girder bridge having 79ft plate girders (easier to model than a truss design) with cross-girders, jack arches and ballast plates. The construction depth below the rail top is about 3ft-6in, and with 15ft minimum headroom below that gives a total rail-to-rail depth of 18ft-6in = 74mm.

Martin.

Martin, the things you are talking about are beyond my abilities in Templot.  If I attach a box file of just the area in question, can you show me what you mean?  If there is a better way of doing it, I'm all ears as I don't want to change the design unless completely necessary.

If you prefer I can post the question on the Templot forum.

Edit:  I have that book, but didn't consider that design as I was under the impression from the pics etc we were talking about a steel truss bridge, not a plate girder bridge.

That might simplify things as I built those on a curve in an earlier ET design.  It makes it easier as the sides are not parallel.

post-6950-0-96523800-1447849730_thumb.jpg

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Martin, the things you are talking about are beyond my abilities in Templot.  If I attach a box file of just the area in question, can you show me what you mean?  If there is a better way of doing it, I'm all ears as I don't want to change the design unless completely necessary.

If you prefer I can post the question on the Templot forum.

Hi Gordon,

Sure, go ahead. smile.gif You can post .box files on RMweb, or on Templot Club, or email it to me. You can find my email address by clicking on my name on Templot Club.

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gordon,

Regarding the Metalsmith Cowans & Sheldon Turntable - I too have lost track of the number of years I've been emailing them for a progress update on availability :(  Perhaps a co-ordinated email attack from RMWeb members is called for, with each asking for details of availability.....

It often amazes me that none of the etched brass kit wizards have seen the window of opportunity here :scratchhead:

Brian

Hi Gordon,

You can borrow the template I made for Regents Park Road bridge if you like? Seems similar to Battledown. Or I'd make one for you?

Hope all is well and you are still hitting them straight. Enjoying catching up on the new ET.

Best wishes,

Iain

Hi Gordon,

Regarding the Metalsmith Cowans & Sheldon Turntable - I too have lost track of the number of years I've been emailing them for a progress update on availability :(  Perhaps a co-ordinated email attack from RMWeb members is called for, with each asking for details of availability.....

It often amazes me that none of the etched brass kit wizards have seen the window of opportunity here :scratchhead:

Brian

I've been pestering Dave Smith for 6 years - ever since I first saw that it was on his list to be done.  I think that John Redrup of London Road Models might be persuaded to produce a kit for the 70ft Cowans Sheldon TT because I've given him all the details I've been able to collect.  I suggest as many as are interested in this type and size of TT contact John <http://traders.scalefour.org/LondonRoadModels/contact-us/>expressing their interest.  If sufficient folk do this, it might influence him to produce a kit.  After all, he does kits for 42ft and 50ft CS TTs.

Stan

Gordon,

I really admire you for doing so much planning this time, it should mean you get exactly what you like with little compromise. You know that you would only look at it and say to yourself 'if only I had'! I think that the plan looks great, and it reminds me of the scale of Frank Dyer's 'magnum opus' that so inspired a great many modellers years ago. The big difference will be your trackwork, amazing buildings, and superb baseboard building skills. I'm really looking forward to see this develop while you are prevented from knocking the little white ball around by the weather. Aspects of your thread that I love, are the tremendous support you are being offered, particularly by Martin, and the complete absence of elitism.

Good luck with finalising it,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 3

Hi Guys,  I managed to survive Beaujolais Day at the club and am now back in service, albeit a little frayed round the edges.  No cup to celebrate, but a good time was had by all, fuelled by the full English breakfast and copious amounts of red wine in the early afternoon.  Had a little doze on the bed and awoke having no idea if it was pm on Thursday or am on Friday.  

Thank God it's only once a year.   :drink_mini:

Just out of interest, I did contact Metalsmith's re their Cowan and Sheldons vacuum turntable and had a positive response today.  I won't paste the reply I received, but the turntable kit has been out for testing in terms of ease of assembly and construction and they are hopeful for positive feedback in December.  

Seems like our wait may soon be over.....:-)

On the track front, Martin and I have had a few goes at the flying junction and once again I am positive that tomorrow we will have a workable plan and construction can continue.  A big thank you to Martin for his time and expertise.  

As a solo modeller, it's heart warming to know that level of support is there within RMweb.  :imsohappy:

Seems like all my Christmas's have come at once. 

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I was too late to make this suggestion  for your last bridge, and I hope I'm not too late this time if you are going for a multispan one. Often the central piers for such bridges are a pair of simple cylindrical tubes, sometimes wider apart  than the bridge deck width, connected by a bearer for the bridge bearings. I guess that the real world advantage is speed of construction compared with solid piers, and plenty of worker refuge space compared with a continuous wall.

The other common bridge design used for very skew crossings is the series of portal supportss at right angles to the lower line(s), or even a continuous tube, with a relatively light bridge structure for the upper. Few layouts have the space to model such arrangements, and I wonder whether one would suit here.

It's good to see progress being made

Thanks

Dave

Thanks Dave for your suggestion.  Things have moved on a bit since my earlier postings and a lot of work has been ongoing behind the scenes.  Martin and I have been working on a mod to the plan to incorporate the flying junction and he has done fantastic job in modifying the design to include a plate girder bridge and abutments.  

The starting point was the bridge as shown in Bridges for Modellers on page 30.  This has two outer girders plus a central one, so we needed to widen the double track spacing and move it slightly.  That in turn required changes to the double junction and in particular, the diamond crossing.

The two reverse curves now run as a pair beyond the flying junction.  As they were different heights I will need to do some additional work on the gradients to bring them together as a pair, but all will be revealed in the next day or two.  

Martin has also moved the double track loops away from the turntable.  This was not really a clearance issue, more an enhancement to the flow of the lines, but it has resolved a possible clash should additional depth eventually be needed below the turntable.  I'm hopeful the Metalsmiths kit will be available, but don't know how much space will be needed for the stepper motor etc.  My Fleischmann turntable is a very shallow design, so will easily slot in anywhere.

This has meant realignment of some of the trackbed components that have been erected to date, but the end result will be so much better.  It will be very simple to cut some new trackbed parts and placing them in position will be far more straightforward than the first time.  That will complete any mods to the lower and central levels and I'm still hopeful of seeing something run before Christmas.....This year!

Here's part of the bridge detail....

post-6950-0-29745600-1448058628_thumb.png

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 11

Gordon and Martin,

That chaps, is a very clever solution, and saves me the trouble of messing about with a photograph from a skewed girder bridge I discovered in a book on the old G&SWR lines! Well done, the Templot system certainly is an exceptional tool in the hands of experts.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 3

Hi Phil

It's not foam at all.  I make the trackbed from 3mm cork strip and edging from these guys and then it's Woodlands Scenic N gauge grey blend ballast sprinkled over neat PVA which is painted between the sleepers.  First stage is to glue the track down and once dry, I paint the track with red oxide primer or Valejo grey primer and then a track colour based on Humbrol 'chocolate' brown.  Once the paint is dry I start the ballasting process. Neat PVA is painted between the sleepers with a tiny paintbrush and then the ballast sprinkled on. Hoover up the excess using a fine filter to collect the loose ballast and job done.  

It takes time, but there is little or no rework and the results are far better than I ever achieved using the traditional method of spraying a mix of PVA and wetting agent.

http://www.charlescantrill.com/shop/model-railway/

I have used them for years and never had a problem.  (No connection)

There is more information on the process in post number 45 in this thread.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for answering that despite it being covered earlier. Just to clarify, do you use the trackbase rolls or that special shaped stuff? I don't have that much main line that actually needs good looking ballast like yours, but what there is is in a to be in most viewed areas (only at home and on here....not exhibitions).

Most informative method as well and if it suits the Cap'n  and yourself, it will suit me.

I use both.  The standard rolls to form the base trackbed and then in visible areas only, the chamfered strips.  They are a bit of a luxury and there is no reason why a block of sandpaper and some elbow grease couldn't achieve similar results.  I chose to use the finished stuff purely on the amount of time I have available and the length of track run on ET. For double track I use three strips of cork plus the two chamfered edges.

Jeff on Kirkby Luneside, Iain on Camden Shed and Eldavo on Cramdin Shed have also used the same ballasting method with great results.

I have a Proxxon circular saw bench that makes very light work of cutting the cork strip to an exact size, which makes life so much easier.  The saw bench is ideal for cutting plastics etc and has proven to be one of my best purchases.  If your wife doesn't know what to buy you for Christmas, this makes a super gift....

I wouldn't be without mine.  (No connection)

http://www.axminster.co.uk/proxxon-ks-230-saw-300095

Edited by gordon s

Gordon,

Thanks for the tip on the cork with chamfered edges (I've logged the site!) but I noticed when I looked in using your link, that they only recommend it for straight sections. Have you come up with a way of bending it to suit your curves?

Thank you also for the advice on the saw, but luckily my SiL has similar, so I will almost certainly be directed to borrow that by the management!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

^I don't know what site/link you're referring to, but if Gordon's using what I think he is then each half-strip is only about 3/4"-1" wide and bends very easily, without any soaking/other inane "tips". 

Quentin

Found the link. :)

Edited by mightbe

WOW Gordon, since asking the question about Storage Loops I'm surprised you haven't got coloured Stripes before the eyes; hahha. some wonderful ideas from the usual suspects with some good results. I do like the Girder Bridge and parallel lines into the reverse loop are much better, and I'm glad your going to add some storage in there as it will greatly increase operation of Freight Stock. Its all looking rather good and I wish I could have done more with Pencarne now, but hey ho  its laid and working.

Good luck with the next stage.