Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

• RMweb Premium

I think the grass is just about right for length as this is a bit of scrub, and it isn't meant to be a bowling green - I agree that a few brambles would be good - what about a bit of junk ditched on the ground, and perhaps try to simulate an area where somebody has been buring rubbish on a bonfire - you know, a ring of scorched grass, and the remains of a few bits and pieces - I remember seeing such things even in steam days, although it has to be said, that was in Scotland, and I don't really know whether "your" area is a little more genteel?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gordon,

Blimey! Scenic work now. Whatever next? Anyway, you may recall that when you visited me last year to acquire a substantial quantity of real estate you will have noticed the embankments that I did along my riverside section. For those I created a base as you have done,and then used Heki grass matting applied in layers. It comes in several different colours, so you can apply it in such a way as to avoid that uniform look that you don't want. I thoroughly recommend it, because in addition to varying colouration it also builds up a good realistic texture.

Gilbert

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gordon,

Blimey! Scenic work now. Whatever next? Anyway, you may recall that when you visited me last year to acquire a substantial quantity of real estate you will have noticed the embankments that I did along my riverside section. For those I created a base as you have done,and then used Heki grass matting applied in layers. It comes in several different colours, so you can apply it in such a way as to avoid that uniform look that you don't want. I thoroughly recommend it, because in addition to varying colouration it also builds up a good realistic texture.

Gilbert

Thanks Dave, good advice as always. Just been up and attacked the lawn with the Hoover and a few squirts with the airbrush and now it looks a lot better and a bit nearer to what I was expecting. I may still go at it with gloss varnish to give the impression of puddles and boggy ground.

Stupid question, what do you use for bushes and where can I get the various materials?

This exercise has certainly given me a taste for scenic work, so keep the suggestions coming. It's a whole new world....:)

post-6950-093484600 1287403603_thumb.jpg

post-6950-079454600 1287403722_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gordon,

Looking good, but unless this is a disused line you have the grass too close to the track. The normal formation width for a single track is 18ft, i.e. about 5ft (say 3/4" in 4mm scale) beyond the sleeper ends on each side. This area is called the "cess" (diagram is for double track, formation width 30ft):

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=38311

The cess area is kept free of vegetation, and as it is normally ash, chippings or similar not much grows there anyway. And the lengthman patrolling his length will keep it trodden down. In a cutting it contains the essential drains to keep the formation dry:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=38314

regards,

Martin.

• Like 5

You could put a couple of goats on there.

'Mashing the grass down' is a good idea. Use dilute pva - but only in sections.

It's something you could do on a separate test piece.

I think you are nearing the stage when an outlay on some scenery products will be necessary.

Woodland Scenics is probably as good as any but you'll see a range in any good model shop.

Lots of other detail is possible.

Broken fences, abandoned oil drums, shopping trolley, barbed wire etc.

Police investigating a murder victim?

A Time Team diorama, old tyres, old mattress, pile of sleepers, stone circle, combustible pile ready for Nov 5th, rusty sheets of corrugated iron.

Whatever you do I'm sure it will be top class.

Thanks guys. I realised something was still not right, so thanks Martin for that input. It seemed wrong to have the grass so close, so I'll get the spade out again. All this bloomin' gardening will do my back in....

You're right DD, jobs are so much easier when you have built up a stock of bits and pieces. Right now I have nothing other than the grass fibres. Could always dump some old bullhead rail and a few sleepers there. As there will be a backscene directly behind this bit of track, the possibilities for rubbish being thrown over are endless.

The A4 is still here Simon and will come out of the box soon....;)

Thanks for the tip on horsehair Jack...

I'm a bit late to this one. I'll not argue with Martyn.

I really like the idea of brambles (think wild blackberries - there must be some in your neck of the woods Gordon)? Also my biggest issue with the original picture is: Too Uniform in both height and colour - but you seem to have addressed that too. Really what I suggest is take a walk around with a camera at some scrubland, old industrial sites (I know you live in a nice part of the country but there must be some wasteland around not redeveloped yet).

If you take the time and use the same talents you used on trackbuilding plus the Mk1 eyeball you will come up with some outstanding scenes! Look forward to seeing them.

Best, Pete.

Guest Max Stafford

Gordon, I'm really liking the look of that grass now. Like Martin says, take it back a shade from the track and it'll be about perfect, it just looks like some of the old lines that were mouldering away in the north of Glasgow near my Gran's place in 1968/9! I can just remember them like this with workmen systematically ripping them up. Born ten years too late I suppose! :rolleyes:

Your taste in good modelling is equalled by your taste in music! ;)

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gordon,

This smashing pic just posted by richard_t:

http://www.rmweb.co....58-f4544jpg#top

has a couple of rusty buffer stops and old sidings well buried in the lineside grass. Just an idea.

Also, if this is a running line, in the steam era it will have a pole route alongside carrying the block telegraph wires. (With the crossbars on the Up side of the poles.)

regards,

Martin.

• Like 1

Hi Gordon,

Good to see an update, and I'm looking forward to the December issue of Model Rail. I like the section of wasteland that you have done and look forward to seeing more pics of it with some disused things in place.

Colin

Of course the problem is that it is quite heavy and you have to lift it up and over the stair finials, so impossible for my good lady on both counts. There never seemed to be any mates or neighbours around at the right time and eventually the 'do nothing blues' set in and Eastwood ground to a halt.

Heck, if that was all that was holding you up !

Though don't forget it will be heavier still to put back with all that sceniced stuff on it ;)

Good to see progress again.

• RMweb Premium

Personally I think it's nearly there. A bit more PVA and finger poking along the ballast edge and job done. This is a tiny area near the back and frankly the vast majority of waste ground isn't covered in much other than vegetation. I would avoid over egging the pudding. All IMHO of course.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Personally I think it's nearly there. A bit more PVA and finger poking along the ballast edge and job done. This is a tiny area near the back and frankly the vast majority of waste ground isn't covered in much other than vegetation. I would avoid over egging the pudding. All IMHO of course.

Cheers

Dave

IMHO as well - resist the temptation for more das fingerpoken.

Removed all the surplus ballast from last night's gardening project and drains have been laid. Pleased with the end result, so thanks again for your encouragement and suggestions.

This pic is for you Pete. Funny how you don't notice things until you look closely at a pic. Seems I have a handrail to sort out and God knows how the driver sees out of that windscreen....:D

post-6950-056979300 1287480672_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Ha! You need at least four of those hauling one train. You ever stood next to the track when they are passing? It's like an earthquake. Clean the windows add some more detail around the plow and roof and you'll be turning to the "Darkside"........

It's funny you should say that about spotting things in photos not seen before that has cropped up in several threads recently.

Cool, Gordon....

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Ha! You need at least four of those hauling one train. You ever stood next to the track when they are passing? It's like an earthquake. Clean the windows add some more detail around the plow and roof and you'll be turning to the "Darkside"........

It's funny you should say that about spotting things in photos not seen before that has cropped up in several threads recently.

Cool, Gordon....

Best, Pete.

I have indeed Pete, hence the purchase. A wonderful holiday in Vancouver, Canmore and Lake Louise with a daily diet of ACW4400's with Trinity Hoppers as far as you can see. The hotel in Lake Louise had the line less than a 100 yards from the breakfast room with perfect views out the window. I could have sat there all day...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice, Gordon

That scrub grass now looks the business, and it really has changed that little area a lot. Seeing what you've done, I don't think that the junk and urban grot is necessary now, although it might well be something for the future?

Nice, Gordon

That scrub grass now looks the business, and it really has changed that little area a lot. Seeing what you've done, I don't think that the junk and urban grot is necessary now, although it might well be something for the future?

Everyone needs an area of junk and urban grot. I was on the old New Haven line out of New York to Boston, we were paused at a signal in the Bronx and I noticed one particular area where there was a slope down on one side to the line (not a total cutting) with a six foot, or so wall at the top - this was obviously the place where the locals rid themselves of old mattresses and the like. I assumed because the wall at the top prevented the locals from actually seeing the mess they had made. Next time I'll take a camera on the train......

Oh, I nearly forgot, Jim S-W had a way on introducing randomness into odd urban wasteland areas - he glued down a section of foamboard and then ripped the top layer off - looked pretty good by the time he had finished.

Best, Pete.