Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

• RMweb Premium

Edit: Sorry Brian, I've not used the C & L chairs, so can't help you there. Eastwood will never leave home and with a few notable exceptions, most of visitors would not notice or even know what chairs are, so I decided that life was too short and I'd concentrate on other parts of the big picture...B)

post-6950-0-02008700-1301557372_thumb.jpg

Hi Gordon,

Many thanks for the clarification - I was being thick :wacko:

I'm not surprised you're giving the chairs a miss, and as you say I don't suppose many will notice anyway! I got the idea you were using chairs from some of the pictures you posted, but perhaps these sections of trackwork were testers/examples?

I'll be very interested in seeing the video; I'm about to test a selection of RTR locos (27 Bachmann, 17 Hornby, 8 Heljan) on a piece of test track (basically a straight with a B8 r/h Turnout installed, leading into a transition curve). Bullhead code 75 rail, with the sharpest curve being 36" radius; built to OO-sf. I created it just to test different methods of track construction and also see what is and isn't possible.

As for your RMWeb Eastwood Town posts - please keep them coming! They make a great resource of information and techniques, as demonstrated by my searching back to post number 45 for infomation on ballasting - much appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Brian

Hi Gordon

Good to see work progressing;

but with 50,000 views someone must be looking at it. I actually find it quite therapeutic scribbling down a few notes and adding a couple of pics.

that's because a number of us have probably set Eastwood Town as our home page in Firefox/Internet Explorer/et al and where you find it therapeutic, I'm sure, others find it kind of addictive. But to be serious for a moment, there is a wealth of information that you are sharing here and your methodology and relaxed attitude as Grimleygrid put it are indeed admirable. Although I cant get over the octagonal on the dinning room table ... wow

Also, like Pete, I was very interested in seeing a close up of the switched crossing. Have you designed all the double junctions with switched crossings? I had never knowingly come across them until Eastwood Town but there again my knowledge base is in its infancy.

Keep up the good work but take care of the back first.

Dan

Hi Gordon,

I would just like to follow up what Dan and Brian said regarding the thread, it serves as inspriation as to what can be done if you put your mind to it. Hopefully you will soon be over your back problem, but its great to see you carrying on modelling.

Regards

Colin

Thanks, Gordon and Martin.

I had heard of them before, I really wanted to see how easy they were to build - they are like two points laid toe to toe, although set on a curve you get that weird angle seen on the left of Gordon's photo - which is right it just looks weird!

I'll do some research on the US use..............

Btw, Gordon do you just eyeball the bends in the rail to the Templot line?

Best, Pete.

Btw, Gordon do you just eyeball the bends in the rail to the Templot line?

Best, Pete.

Templot provides excellent overall drawings for track layout etc and is perfect for generating flowing curves to whatever you want, but I still use gauges for the precision work needed to produce turnouts. There will always be small differences once you use precision gauges as printing, although good, is not accurate enough and in any case you would still be 'eyeballing' the rails etc onto the plan. This means there will be small differences to the Templot plan and I would always check any curves by looking along them from each end in turn and at differing heights to make sure the curve looks right and has no kinks.

Sometime's your eyesight is the best tool for the job and is very hard to beat..

• RMweb Gold
There will always be small differences once you use precision gauges as printing, although good, is not accurate enough and in any case you would still be 'eyeballing' the rails etc onto the plan. This means there will be small differences to the Templot plan

Hi Pete,

If you use an inkjet printer the Templot plans should "eyeball" perfect curves as printed.

If you use a laser printer you may notice slight discrepancies. This is because such printers heat the paper, causing slight differential shrinkage across the page. Not enough to notice with text, but it does show up with precision line drawings.

When using Templot it's a good idea to print a second template to use as a guide for bending and curving the rails. It is easier to do this without the timbers (ties) attached.

If you print another "rails-only" template on tracing paper or OHP film (if your printer is suitable), you can lay it on the tops of the rails during assembly to check the alignments are correct.

"Eyeballing" is the best way to see if a curve is smooth and free from kinks and doglegs, but unfortunately it can't tell you if the rail is in exactly the right place. When building diamonds and slips, it is critical to get the two crossing vees the correct distance apart nose-to-nose, and only a template can indicate this. It is also important to use one printed for the correct track gauge -- a 1:8 diamond is 4.8mm shorter in 00-SF than the same thing in 00-BF.

Looking good, Gordon. :)

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold
Roller gauges in NMRA HO are very hard to find in the 'States

Hi Pete,

The 00-SF roller gauges from Brian Tulley (polybear) in the UK should work fine for H0. Terry Flynn in Australia recommends the 00-SF dimensions for H0, or as near as makes no difference.

See: http://00-sf.webs.com/

They are for UK rail at 4mm/ft (0.93mm wide slots), so you may need to do some testing with your US rail section.

regards,

Martin.

The problem is the rail section; because I can't get decent steel rail over here I'll be using ME Code 70 (for a "Shortline").

One of the interesting pages on Fast Tracks has a comparo (sic), I've also been through this with Colin Craig and why I threw out my ideas for P4 - I'm bu@@ered if I'm shipping rail across the Atlantic!

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold
The problem is the rail section; because I can't get decent steel rail over here I'll be using ME Code 70

Hi Pete,

Andy Reichert is stocking stuff for UK FB track on your side of the pond, including for 00-SF, EM and P4, and code 83 FB rail. If that's sourced from the UK it should fit the 00-SF roller gauges.

See: http://www.proto87.c...k-Turnouts.html

regards,

Martin.

Well it took a while longer than first thought, but several hundred solder joints later, the junction is complete as are all the turnouts on the first or lower level, so I have no excuses to get the lower level completed. There's a few boards to build and a couple of hundred feet of track to wire up, but no excuses now on the material front. This will be quite a landmark as it will mean one complete double track circuit upon which some trains can trundle round to their heart's content. That will be a first.....B)

So here it is.....Hope all the angles now make sense, Pete.

post-6950-0-01580200-1301589964_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Pete,

Andy Reichert is stocking stuff for UK FB track on your side of the pond, including for 00-SF, EM and P4, and code 83 FB rail. If that's sourced from the UK it should fit the 00-SF roller gauges.

See: http://www.proto87.c...k-Turnouts.html

regards,

Martin.

Thanks, Martin. I think the only things to 4mm Andy actually has in stock right now are the sleepers. The other thing I never mentioned was that some of the more interesting suppliers of 4mm stuff in the UK simply will not ship to the USA. It's surprising, really.

Gordon, yep, beautiful!!! Are the sleepers on the switched crossing perpendicular to the centre line?

All the best, Pete.

• 3 weeks later...

Eastwood 2 is underway although work so far has been slow and interrupted by bouts of swearing and visits to my GP. After much pleading I have managed to get them to pull the date forward another week, which may not seem much, but when every hour takes two and every day seems like three, to have a week taken out is a little like a lottery win. Thursday lunchtime and it will all be over, one way or the other......:D

Thought it would do no harm to pull up the modified plan of the new lower level. The loop is now complete and trains are running. The stairwell access boards are the next in line so they can be attached to the loop whilst access is easy.

post-6950-0-52476900-1302892981_thumb.png

This pic shows the loop pulled well forward. It's probably 3'-4' from it's final position, so these are the tightest curves on the whole layout at 38".

post-6950-0-77256500-1302894009_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-79791800-1302894019_thumb.jpg

I must say I had some fun during the week running a new loco with a wheelbase of 4-12-2. Thankfully it made it's way through all the turnouts without problem, so I can assume everywhere else will be OK. Eastwood has an alter ego when locos from across the world may put in an appearance. Whilst working I spent a lot of time on short trips abroad. Enevitably there were hours to kill and before long, I had a schedule that included model shops, particularly the two in Mississauga, hence the parallel stock of US and Canadian loco's etc. When I first heard this loco on YouTube it was love at first sight. Not only did it have a rare wheel formation and looked big and powerful, it sounded like an A4 as this particular loco was fitted with Gresley conjugated valve gear. That was it, I was smitten......

post-6950-0-87659600-1302894294_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-98769300-1302894290_thumb.jpg

So that probably brings you up to date. Once the stairwell access points to the loop are complete and attached, I will be able to push on with the whole loop. I should have said earlier that parts of Eastwood 1 have gone to meet their maker. The traverser is no more and as of today, half of the early spiral has gone. Strangley I have no regrets, as working at a more suitable height has made things more enjoyable and once this disc is sorted, I expect to move on with the lower level and then the fun will begin.

Finally, many thanks to all of you who have PM'd me regarding my future surgery. It is much appreciated and has certainly kept my spirits up in times of great pain.

• Like 4

Hello Gordon,

have been away from RM Web for a while due to my health and so did not realise you were in need of an operation on your back.May I wish you Good Luck for next Thursday and lets hope you get your full mobility back.

As you mention losing a couple of people to the dreaded Cancer does make you reflect.I was moaning yesterday about the pain I was in as we went around the supermarket, when I noticed a lady about my age in an electric wheelchair struggling to get an item from the top shelf.After helping her I gave myself a good talking too and have not complained since,although in a couple of days I will have forgotten and got back to being good old Mr Grumpy again.Once again all the very best for a full recovery.

Kind Regards,Derek.

• Like 1

After much pleading I have managed to get them to pull the date forward another week, which may not seem much, but when every hour takes two and every day seems like three, to have a week taken out is a little like a lottery win. Thursday lunchtime and it will all be over, one way or the other......:D

When you awaken you'll find yourself fully committed to the Dark Side - and planning a visit to Fostoria's Rail Bar..............................................NS High Hood SD40-2's will be dancing around your head.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wah hey! Here we go again....:D

Won't bore you with the details, but at last I'm free from pain after two years of suffering. Thanks to some high tech surgery, I am now up and running again and Eastwood 2 is now underway again. Will it ever end?.....;)

Spent an enjoyable day hand crafting a new board which will form the lower exit from the reverse loop and include the double junction that will take trains up to level two and then eventually to Eastwood Town terminus. This board has had to be made in three/four sections due to the complexity of the shapes. I still want to follow an open form of baseboard that is of pseudo beam construction, as that appears to be the easiest way to accomplish such complex shapes.

Our dining room table was pressed into service once again, perfect for board building and after a few hours of cutting and glueing, this has emerged. The track plan is printed out on Templot and stuck down with sellotape along each of the edges to a 4' x 2' piece of 12mm ply. This acts as a guide for the eventual shape which is carefully cut out with a jigsaw. The printed plan remains intact and a skeleton version using just the trackbed will be stuck to the 12mm ply with Photomount and the cork underlay and track will then be stuck onto the paper plan. The end cheeks are 12mm ply again, 100mm deep to protect the Tortoise motors and form a fairly decent beam to prevent twisting and warping. These are stuck end on and clamped very tightly at 90 degrees to the trackbed, whilst the glue sets.

The side cheeks of 6mm MDF, 100mm deep, are then carefully clamped to the curved shape and glued in position. This gives a strong and fairly lightweight monocoque construction. The sections are aligned with Red Dog dowels and pulled up tight with M8 screws and T nuts.

The shallow 'V' nearest to you in the pic is where it attaches to the octagonal reverse loop, with the rest of the board carrying trains over the stairwell.

So after months of inactivity we are on our way again. Sadly I had to take a hammer to the one scenic section of the earlier version. It had to go as it was starting to be get the way. It was a tough call, but at least I have some pics to remind me of my first real efforts.

Happy days at last.....B)

post-6950-0-47967700-1305134289_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Wah hey! Here we go again....:D

Won't bore you with the details, but at last I'm free from pain after two years of suffering.

Great news, Gordon - go for it.....

• Like 1

Nothing on TV so attacked the A4 paper tray again and managed a complete print of this area that will sit over the stairs. With any luck I should get the carpentry complete by the weekend. Once bolted together I'm hoping the structure itself will bridge the stairwell, although there would be no problem in adding aditional supports off the back wall if they were needed.

Apologies if this appears self indulgent, but after all this time, it's just great to get started once again....:D

post-6950-0-33539200-1305138944_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

No need to apologise Gordon, I for one am glad that you're back in action.

Dismantling your scenic section must have been heartbreaking; I wonder if a fellow RMWebber or Model Rail reader would have been interested in purchasing it as a diorama or to incorporate into another layout? Never mind, it's a bit late now!

Please keep the updates coming. I'm especially interested to see if your new boards across the stairwell will support themselves, as I need to do something similar on my layout (one day I'll get round to writing it up on RMWeb but I keep getting distracted by other people's excellent layouts).

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1