Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

Gordon - a question for you: is there any reason you needed to have that island support column so wide?  Right now, it's got a girth like those at Belle Isle - but only half the height.

You know my thoughts on modeling by consensus (!), so this is of course just my opinion, but a less substantial column (2/3 or 1/2 the width) may be more aesthetically pleasing.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1

I take your point Scott and just been up to take a look at it.  To be honest I hadn't thought about it as it was just a few bits of wood I had laying around.  Looking at it, it could be thinned down from 50mm to around 30mm but it will need to be considerably longer to accommodate the angle of the longest span and remain visible at the end.  I've got some time this morning so will knock something up and see how it looks.

• Like 1

The first was two pieces of 18mm ply.  This one is two pieces of 12mm.  For me it is a bit on the thin side so adding a couple of spacers end end will take it out to 30mm.  To be honest the size of the central support will in some ways be governed visually once the bridge side plates go on, so I will hold back until those are completed and then look at it again.

Thanks Scott.  Much appreciated input.  You can get too close to your own work sometimes and a third party view is often invaluable.

post-6950-0-94066900-1378631710_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Good Morning Gordon, I must say that I feel the thinner one looks the better of the two, once you have the plasticard brick/stone work on that will bring it out a fraction more as well.

Please keep the up dates coming, really impressive,

Andy

In between family visits and F1, I managed to escape for a couple of hours and knocked up a reduced central support, which is an improvement, so thanks Scott.  

The girder sides which were rescued from ET3 are just placed on the supports for effect.  The 'real' ones have yet to be designed and built.

post-6950-0-12344200-1378664655_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Sept 10th.  Spent the day modelling.  You know, the stuff we used to do in the old days before RTR boomed.....

Been looking at the girders for the overbridge and the more I looked at it, the more issues arose.  Placing the bridge on the curve means the six straight girders are all different in length and the immediate challenge came with the parabolic curve which increased the height as the length increased.  Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but with the longest span more than twice the length of the shortest, something had to give.  Different heights of each girder looked pretty messy, so I have had to fudge stuff a bit to maintain a constant height.  Looking at pics of Holloway Bank, I saw they had used lower straight sections between the curved top girders, so I decided to follow this route. 

I had some bits left over from some Peco girders and a Wills pack of their straight girder sections left in the drawer, so I set to, hoping something reasonably acceptable would come out at the end.  The long girder was always going to be a compromise and I'm sure the mechanical engineers amongst us would have a field day, but at least it looks reasonable to me eyes and serves it's purpose.

With the smaller square sections in situ the span was measured and then the surplus cut from the middle of the Peco girders.  There is still much work to do in adding 'T' sections to the plate plate sections and then the riveted plates will need to be fixed onto the Peco plates once sanded down.

Overall, it was an enjoyable few hours.  I'll tell you something, this modelling lark could catch on....

post-6950-0-56524100-1378828231_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-39912400-1378828224_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-75058000-1378828219_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-80316700-1378828213_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-61802500-1378828205_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Creating something two dimensional in Templot is fairly straightforward, but then taking a flat plan and superimposing it over a three dimensional object is when the challenges arrive.

Is there any truth in the rumour that Martin W. is currently working on Templot 3, a 3d version of Templot that requires the user to wear 3d glasses for the ultimate in full 3d realism.... :jester: 

polybear

Edited by polybear

• RMweb Gold

Is there any truth in the rumour that Martin W. is currently working on Templot 3, a 3d version of Templot that requires the user to wear 3d glasses for the ultimate in full 3d realism.... :jester:

Hi Brian,

Sorry, no there isn't. smile.gif

However, using the free demo version of 3rd PlanIt™ you can visualize your Templot track plan in 3D, add mock-up buildings and scenic effects, and "walk-through" your planned layout on the screen.

And to a limited extent train simulations can be run over these Templot tracks on-screen in 3rd PlanIt.

3rd PlanIt (3PI) is developed by Randy Pfeiffer -- see http://www.trackplanning.com

A free demo version is available -- download from: http://www.trackplanning.com/download.htm

Here's how to have some fun. smile.gif  (These notes are 10 years old and some links may no longer work).

This screenshot view shows the approach tracks to Hopton Clee. These are tracks from Templot using GWR switches:

hc_3pi_9.jpg

The turnouts are laid out on a sweeping transition curve. Ballasting is in progress in the foreground. The Santa Fe Railway has running powers over these GWR metals, and a train will shortly be arriving in the bay platform on the left. smile.gif

hc_3pi_2.jpg

Here is my track plan for Hopton Clee. I created it in Templot and then exported a DXF file using the 3D Solid option for the DXF. The screenshot above shows the result after importing the file into 3rd PlanIt.

The coloured rectangle is my attempt to sink the sleepers (ties) in some ballast. I added a few sample structures from the 3rd PlanIt libraries to create better perspective effects.

The 3rd PlanIt file for this plan can be downloaded from

http://85a.co.uk/3pi/hopton_clee_and_trains.3pi

It can be opened and the trains run in the free demo version of 3rd PlanIt. You won't be able to draw additional tracks from scratch in that version or save files, but you can add further trains and buildings from the supplied libraries.

Or import your own Templot track plan by exporting it from Templot as a DXF file.

If you are experimenting with the above file in the 3rd PlanIt demo, click 3PI camera controls for a handy guide to using the camera controls to "walk-through" the layout, and how to control the trains.

(Some of the links on that page are out of date -- use the link above to download the file. You no longer need to obtain the 3rd PlanIt DXF option separately before importing DXF files from Templot.)

For 3rd PlanIt users reading this, this is a UK-style plan in EM gauge. Track gauge=18.2mm, Scale=4mm/ft (5/32"/ft, 1:76 ratio). Sleepers (ties) are scale 9ft long at UK size and spacing. These settings, and many others, can be customized in Templot.

The Santa Fe train is now arriving. It's not generally known that the GWR experimented with colour-light signalling on the Clee line! smile.gif A 2-6-4 locomotive (tender not supplied) is shunting in the goods yard behind the water tower.

Caution! If you download the file and run the trains, those are spring points at the entry to the bay platform. You must reverse all the way out onto the main line before running forward again (i.e. the train then runs into the main platform).

The 3PI "track objects" needed to make this train running possible are hidden and superimposed on the imported tracks from Templot. Turnouts from Templot can be trailed through either road (i.e. working as spring points), but in the facing direction you can take only the main road. You will need to do some "crane shunting" (in the 2D view) to overcome this. shock.gif

regards,

Martin.

• Like 2

Great stuff Martin!  You did show me something along those lines a while back, but as always, you can offer a far better explanation, so I hoped you would pick this up.

Work has continued and brought back loads of childhood memories of trawling the local streets and parks looking for lolly sticks to make rafts.  I now have superglue fingers and am sick of the sight of ply timber strips.  What started as a simple overbridge has turned into something 3' long. With 4mm wide strips, thats 228 strips each side, 456 in total.  Each one roughly cut to length, glued, sanded and the cut to length and sanded again.  RTR has so much to offer.... ;)

Take it out of the box.  Bit of track across, connect up and job done.  Just a shame it wouldn't fit....

So another 2 feet of strips to do.  Painting, staining and weathering and this can then be laid to rest.  Just the wiring and back scene to do and that should see this board well on the way to completion....about 12 more to do.

Thankfully they will be a little simpler..

post-6950-0-84835600-1379093605_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-50878800-1379093597_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-91478000-1379093613_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Thanks Larry, much appreciated.  Those that know me personally will recognise that patience is not one of my qualities, so it's just a case of getting your head down for an short stretch at a time and getting the job done.

I've run into a bit of a hurdle right now.  The spans I have put together have been created with bits of Wills and Peco mouldings.  The custom panels have been cut from Plasticard.  I need to create the L and T shaped bars that feature on these panels.  I ordered some bits from Plastruct that arrived yesterday, but they are miles too heavy in section.  I think I ordered the correct profiles, but they won't be suitable.

I'm getting the impression that ET is now read by very few, so perhaps I'll start a new thread that hopefully the experts in plastic construction will be able to offer some ideas.

post-6950-0-98304800-1379142387_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-22063800-1379142397_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I'm sure there are plenty of us reading still Gordon!

I'm not sure whether it's absolutely the best way of creating the bits you need, but if you take a look at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52339-camden-shed/?p=1057983 and some of the posts that follow, this is how I scratchbuilt the whole footbridge on Camden Shed, which is similar in some ways to what you've got here. Happy to drop round with a few leftover pieces of what I used to see whether it looks feasible?

Iain

• RMweb Gold

I ordered some bits from Plastruct that arrived yesterday, but they are miles too heavy in section.  I think I ordered the correct profiles, but they won't be suitable.

From normal, perhaps obstructed, viewing distances, really?

Maybe time to not look at it through a lens but from where you're going to play with it operate your strict 1959 ECML timetable.

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Those that know me personally will recognise that patience is not one of my qualities, so it's just a case of getting your head down for an short stretch at a time and getting the job done.

Hi Gordon,

I have just received this uplifting email to spur you on:

"When communicating, you will point out to all the brilliant deeds he has done inside the golf ball the courtroom. As checking the actual gadgets he has provided, you will consider the actual number of that autograph. To own some sort of extensive in addition to short and snappy recognition from the vistas, we will have that this eagerness with regard to the system includes offered a huge component to her success. Throughout actuality, eagerness is a superb trait you need to acquire. Using enthusiasm, somebody is able to make a wonderful value with wealth. Using enthusiasm, all of the error or even negligence is going to be swept aside. And also a human being together with interest can be probably excellent mettle."

Martin.

No, believe me Phil, these really aren't suitable and would stick out from any distance...

I'd take a pic, but don't want to open the packet in case I send them back.  The flat section is probably OK, but the rib is too high and oversize in thickness.  I suppose at a push I could cut the height of the rib down, but that would make the width even thicker.

Thanks Iain.  I'll go and take a look at your work.  I was sure I'd seen something similar somewhere, but thought it was probably Ron Heggs work.

I'm getting the impression that ET is now read by very few, so perhaps I'll start a new thread that hopefully the experts in plastic construction will be able to offer some ideas.

There's a lot of us lurking here and not saying much Gordon, your work is fantastic stuff.

I may have a solution for you, I'll PM you shortly.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was going to suggest Slaters rivet sheet too but I notice that the Camden shed link shows it better than I could describe. You could make your own with a pounce wheel tool, though my feeble attempts at pouncing were not impressive! 

Sorry guys, I wasn't digging for compliments, far from it.  I just got used to posting something and with the volume of posts these days, going back an hour later to seeing it on page 3.  I guess we post for many reasons.  In my case it is a photographic diary to see that I have made some progress.  Sometimes you think things have taken an age and then you realise it's only a couple of weeks or so.

Of course deep down you hope someone is getting some enjoyment from sharing this tome..... :D

• RMweb Premium

There are many of us still reading the thread Gordon, and we are behind you 100%. The thread reads like a saga with twists and turns aplenty, and like any good story we are all enjoying the journey but also dying to find out what happens in the end.

As such, I implore you to keep this thread going.

Whilst you may not think that you have that much patience, there are a lot of people out there (and on here) who would have taken a much easier route for that bridge (by not including it at all) and many of the other areas that you have taken on. I don't often comment on here and a few of the other threads I keenly watch but I assure you that I am mightily impressed with what you have taken on and how it is coming along.

Jason.

• Like 2