North Ballachulish

Andy C

Those with sharp eyes will have noticed a slight change to the OP with the words "the projected line through the Great Glen was built linking Oban / Fort Bill with Inverness"

Ive just finished reading John Thomas's fascinating history of the Callander and Oban, and its quite obvious that this was on the cards on at least two occasions by separate companies including the C and O. So in the spirit of the C and O's talisman John Anderson, in this time plane the line was built, justifying the presence of the Inverness 24s on the layout, as well as more excuses for 26's and possibly a 37. Of course in this paralel universe the West Highland was closed in 1965 as economically this line is far more viable and less prone to getting shut in winter ;)

Expecting a large full size print of the track plan in the not too distant which will be duly photographed and posted here. The cutting plan for the timber has already been written

Hi Andy, just caught this fine project. I have been looking for ideas since finishing Glen Roy and have been reading Ian Futers books and especialy the bit about the proposed route up Loch Linnhe to Fort William. My new layout that I started a couple of weeks ago is Loch Leven using almost the same reasons as yorself. but as a termimus. I have only been to that part of the British Isles once and that was in May 1970 for the Scottish Six Days Motorcycle Trials based at Fort William. I spent the week in a Ford Thames Van camping on the shores of Loch Linnhe. On the way up there was no bridge across the mouth of Loch Leven in those days so it was a long drive all the way around through Kinlochleven, never to be forgoten. Such stunning scenary, Good luck and I will be watching with interest. Andy.

I had noticed the pier at Kettallen while I was resurching on Goolgle earth for my next adventure, “project Xâ€. I am up that way in a few weeks, I think it needs investigating further. Gary

The pier provided a steamer connection between Kentallen and Fort William to link with the railway and save time rather than sail all the way down to Oban or vice versa. Of course as in this universe the railway was built, there is no need for the pier ;)

The fact i wont have room to get it in is immaterial, my excuse and Im sticking to it :D

Just out of interest and before I commit to cutting plywood has anyone any idea about the floor length in the back of a Focus / Golf estate with the rear seats down? Ive looked at the manufacturers specs on the net but they give cubic litres of space, which is about as much use as a one legged man at an arsekicking party.

My reason for asking is I currently drive a Mondeo (latest variant) and there is over 5 feet of floor space to the back of the drivers seat - I know because Ive had New Heys 5 foot boards in the back. However the Mondeo is on a lease from work, and our new rules mean I wont qualify for a lease car next when the contract is up at the end of may 2012. North Ballachulish was planned with three 5 foot long boards but ive suddenly realised that they will have to fit into a different car. Whilst the heart says a performance car the head says its got to fit two border collies, a 4 foot plus long tuba, and a layout (not at the same time). It will be an estate i suspect (ever practical) and either a focus or a golf or that size car (downsizing now the lease is over!)

• 2 weeks later...

Last week someone put a poll on RM Web about "what scale do you model in" and immediately incurred the ire of some of us who model equally in a few scales. Well heres living proof that I do, because as the same time as I was doing the Patriot in EM and the work detailed this weekend on my New Hey thread, Ive also been a busy with some P4 stock.

This is a landmark as this will be the first piece of stock for North Ballachulish that I have completed - also just converted to P4 and renumbered are two BSKs and a CK, these await a light weathering. The GUV here though went the opposite direction and inspired by a photo by Derek Cross in "the Heyday of Scotlands Diesels" it got the full dirty treatment. I have just dropped in the P4 wheelsets, they are very free running so Im hoing that will suffice, cue some flat track laying when the boards get built ;)

The GUV started life as a Bachman Express Parcels NKV but as thats a bit late for my 1970 /71 timeline, I got rid of the Express parcels logo and the TOPs designation and used HMRS transfers to put the GUV designation on. I softened the existing transfers with microsol first then gently rubbed them away with a cocktail stick. Weathering is via my usual treatment of increasingly dirty passes with the airbrush, starting off with a well thinned raw track rust and then building this up by gradually adding a litlle more matt black each pass.

I then went to work with the weathering powders to achieve the effect seen in the photo.

Quite pleased with it as I love dirty stock and more to the point, it is the very first vehicle finished for the layout, a statement of intent prior to cutting the first sod of baseboard construction.

post-6679-0-60297200-1304347085_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-01647600-1304347099_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-43373000-1304347107_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-95801100-1304347123_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-65564600-1304347129_thumb.jpg

the heart says a performance car the head says its got to fit two border collies, a 4 foot plus long tuba, and a layout (not at the same time). It will be an estate i suspect (ever practical) and either a focus or a golf or that size car (downsizing now the lease is over!)

May I suggest the Right Honourable Gentleman looks at an Octavia estate too....

Octavia VRS? Best of both worlds?!

Thers a thought James!

Whatever, Ive decided due to the track configuration that the boards will be 5 foot long, with one 5 x2, and two that taper out from 2 foot width to 3 foot with - this gets the corner piece in as an integral part. Legs will probably like Ive done on New Hey, a table like structure that plugs into the layout - as below. The two leg units (there are a couple from the board noot up propped up on thehouse wall) are braced by a wooden plate which holds it in a very rigid structure.

So the car will have to fit the layout :D

post-6679-0-89330200-1304359464_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Just out of interest and before I commit to cutting plywood has anyone any idea about the floor length in the back of a Focus / Golf estate with the rear seats down?

My Octavia (same chassis as the Golf Estate) would hold 4ft boards at 2ft wide (i.e. high when on edge) plus a tool box. It wouldn't take a 5ft board of the same size. There is 1m clear between the rear wheel arches. I could get 4 No 4ft by 2ft boards in (boxed into pairs), tool box, power box & stock box in. I could never get the legs or lighting rig in as well.

It would comfortably take Wheal Elizabeth though; 2 No 3ft x 1ft 6 boards, 1 No 4ft x 1ft board, plus legs, lighting facia, fiddle yard shelves, stock, tool box & power box.

Don't know about the Focus Estate.

When I finally changed it, I bought the S Max. You can get a layout with room left over for an oompah band in there!

• 2 weeks later...

Acquisition of stock for the layout took another turn yesterday when I went into Arcadia Models at Shaw (thoroughly recommend Tim's establishment as a more than satisfied customer - far better than risking 'attons) for a bottle of Plastic Weld. After chatting with Tim and other customers and a cup of coffee I walked out with 3 of the latest release pre -Tops liveried TTAs in Esso livery - just right for the layout's oil traffic. Inevitably the issue of Plastic weld was completely forgotten which will mean a return visit ;)

Big question though - has anyone converted these to P4? Im not a great one for re-inventing the wheel and would be interested to know how they have done it - my thoughts are at the moment with a MJT rocking unit on one axle inside the W irons but if you have any other suggestions please fire away! As it's a LWB vehicle I cant see me getting away with leaving it either uncompensated or unsprung.

• RMweb Gold

Inevitably the issue of Plastic weld was completely forgotten which will mean a return visit ;)

All model shop proprietors have this power, you should know this by now...

Looking forward to seeing this one progress, any successor to New Hey just has to be good. biggrin.gif

Big question though - has anyone converted these to P4? Im not a great one for re-inventing the wheel and would be interested to know how they have done it - my thoughts are at the moment with a MJT rocking unit on one axle inside the W irons but if you have any other suggestions please fire away! As it's a LWB vehicle I cant see me getting away with leaving it either uncompensated or unsprung.

Hi Andy,

My Bachmann TTV (I hacked off the air brake gear and replaced it with vac gear) and brake vans all run perfectly well on Longcarse West with just replacement wheels and repositioned brake shoes.

Cheers

David

Hi Andy,

My Bachmann TTV (I hacked off the air brake gear and replaced it with vac gear) and brake vans all run perfectly well on Longcarse West with just replacement wheels and repositioned brake shoes.

Cheers

David

Cheers David

I had noticed how the brake shoe assemblys were detachable and could be moved in - i will try and give the nos suspension option a go - I suspect so long as the track is laid absolutely flat then in theory there shouldn't be a problem - at worst I can always retrofit.

I have a number of TTA's; three of which run perfectly with just new wheels, three of which are a bit indifferent. I have not been able to put a finger on why they are twitchy (although it is not that easy to get weight into them) so the latter are presently retired.

I intend to use Bill Bedford sprung suspension units with the centre cut away so that it is not visible on these - Ullypug did this with a Dogfish so I have to thank him for the idea.

You will find that the plastic that those brake hangers are made of is amazingly slippery and seems not to take solvent adhesive. You will need cyano on them or even a quick wipe with a soldering iron to melt them in situ.

• 4 weeks later...

Research into the project continues - I have a query with the National Archives for Scotland to get plans for Kentallen station, and thanks to my youngest son Martyn, who has been up in Fort William as a marshall on the World Downhill Mountain Biking World cup last weekend, I now have photos of what will be the corner of the layout, the cottage group and St Brides church.

Its a very attractive group and from the photos Martyn took is quite compact as well - I think its going to set the layout location wise firmly where its meant to be - a valuable lesson learned from looking at Portchullin at Railex just over a week ago. In the first photo you will note a metalled lane leading off to the right - this will be the station/ yard entrance on the model.

A landmark will be achieved tonight when the order for the plywood goes in - construction of the baseboards will start from 18th June when I have a weeks annual leave :yahoo:

post-6679-0-91849700-1307545791_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-17475500-1307545868_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-77632700-1307545946_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-07060600-1307546024_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-29095200-1307546102_thumb.jpg

And it wasn't raining! ;)

But apparently the midges didnt let the side down. Whilst I will be endeavouring to actually capture the feeling of the West Highlands in the layout there are certain elements that are indicative of the region that will not feature, rain and midges for a starter ;)

Hi Andy,

Great looking layout planned thus far, shall be watching with interest !

If I might add my tuppence worth to the bogie compensation advice... Rewheel by all means but don't worry too much about compensation per se. Tighten one bogie up so it can only pivot in the horizontal plane (a little up and down movement is ok, but no more than a mm or so)and tighten the other one so its the same, then slacken it off so it can rock by about 4mm vertically. Instant compensation ! Immaterial as to which way its marshalled in a train too. Same trick works for OAA/BA/CA and VAA/BA/CA/DA's and other "single axle bogie" wagons as well, although with those types I generally superglue one end up solid (and inline - wheels parallel to the chassis sides !) and tighten the other one up so its got about 3-4mm of vertical play - they'll go round any curve or corner I've tried them on (think the tightest was just over 16 inch radius)

I once shot the wobbles out of a mate's freighliner train (the 'orrible old Hornby items)in that fashion by removing the rivets which held the bogies on, replacing them with small wideheaded screws and supergluing a (paper) punched out disk of plasticard into the bottom of the mounts, then screwing the bogies into the plastic as described above, removed all the extra weight he'd packed into the containers and when he returned about 30 mins later he found me me reversing the train at a pretty good rate of knots across a rather complex junction on his layout without any sign of derailing or wayward wobbling. Formerly, those freightliners had been one train firmly marked "not to be reversed" AFIAK they're all still running without problems

Best

Matthew

Hi Andy. New layout looks to be a stunning project cant wait to see progress,on the subject of cars ,have a look at the Vauxhall Safira I drive a 1.8 model and the room in the back is incredible the seats are movable in the back giving even more room without folding them down.I can get my sales stand for the RNLI with all the chairs boxes table and gazibo in without putting the seats down.Keep up the good work. Chris.

Hi Andy. New layout looks to be a stunning project cant wait to see progress,on the subject of cars ,have a look at the Vauxhall Safira I drive a 1.8 model and the room in the back is incredible the seats are movable in the back giving even more room without folding them down.I can get my sales stand for the RNLI with all the chairs boxes table and gazibo in without putting the seats down.Keep up the good work. Chris.

Ballachulish here we come :drinks:

I guess the 11 June 2011 marks the official start of construction of the layout, the cutting of the first turf so to speak, as I got a message from the "official RMRG" timber merchant in Brighouse (or in Yorkshire speak Briggus) to say all the 9mm ply has been cut to size, including the two awkward shaped boards. Delivery is on Wednesday courtesy of one of the co conspirators, Mr Worthington who brokered the deal as he speaks Yorkshire,and conveniently works round the corner !! Mucho thanks Ian.

I've lost count of how much layout timber "odd jobs" of Brighouse have supplied us with, but its always good to deal with a local tradesperson who knows what they are talking about and understands timber rather than a begrudging DIY chain employee who is there because its the last resort, moaning at you because he has to make more than two cuts.

Taking the track plan as a reference, the first board at the Fort Willian end is two foot wide at the fiddleyard end and is 5 foot long. At the "Oban " end of this board, 4 foot along the side member comes out at a 45 degree angle to form the station curve to a width of 3 foot. Board two, the station board is 3 foot wide at the top end and will bolt sideways on to board 1's end - at the end of three foot of this side this comes back in at 45 degrees to a point 4 foot along wher the width becomes two foot wide - when bolted together you get a wider area for the curve. the board like the rest is a total of 5 foot long. The last board is a bog standard 2 x 5 rectangle.

All the construction is out of 9mm ply, the ply remaining out of the three 8 x 4 sheets once the baseboard tops have been cut has all been cut into 3 inch strips, which will form the baseboard sides and internal cross members. The boards will be well braced internally by these to prevent as much movement as possible. The end pieces will also be braced by 1 inch square stripwood. Hopefully, (well it was when when I drew the boards and cross members on the plan) I have avoided all the areas where point motors and uncoupling magnets will be! What remains when the boards are finished will also be used for the cassettes for the fiddleyard.

As after this week I have a weeks leave, the wood glue and panel pins will be being brought out and construction in earnest will begin. Lets hope the weather is good so I can do it in the garden without getting sawdust all over New Hey in the garage.

You shouldn't need that much movement - for most situations +/- 0,5mm should be sufficient.

Thanks James, My mistook, meant 2mm but then again I model in 00 and you can get away with a bit more than in P4 !

Best

Matthew

Get the champagne out :drinks:

At precisely 15:12 this afternoon the new baby was born as I cut the first piece of ply for the baseboards and glued and pinned the end piece on Board 1, which is the Fort William end board. The basic structure of the board is complete and is awaiting the glue to dry so i can remove the G clamps and put the cross members in. Board 2 tomorrow hopefully.

Oh and I should add that they already have the requisite dog paw prints on the surface, as Floyd elected to walk over it than round it when he came in from the garden to bark at some unsuspecting Jehovas Witness or similar outside.

post-6679-0-90158700-1308500189_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-34276900-1308500268_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-70744300-1308500341_thumb.jpg

Archived