Morning Delight

• RMweb Gold

I had a very pleasant experience this morning – one that I haven’t had for a long time. No, not that…

My regular London commute was brightened immeasurably as I got off my usual class 317 at Tottenham Hale at 06:50. Just as I crossed the footbridge to the Victoria line there was a loud hoot from the London direction and then the delightful sound of a class 37 being opened up. Risking trampling in the usual stampede, I hesitated long enough to see a pair of DRS 37s sandwiching a few NR mark 2 coaches heading north. I’d forgotten how loud these locos are – it made my morning!

I often see fellow commuters downing coffee or cans of Red Bull on the train in an effort to kick-start their day, but the sight and sound of two vintage diesels did more for my spirits than mere caffeine ever could. I’m not sure if that counts as sad or not, but hey, it takes all sorts.

I expect several of my fellow RMwebbers will be able to identify the working. If it’s a regular thing I may have to modify my commute to get some pictures.

Trevor

I can't help with identifying the working - but you've certainly struck a chord with me !

For a couple of years I worked within walking distance from work, and this was close to Waun-gron Park station between Cardiff and Radyr.

At that time there were three return Rhymney-Cardiff commuter runs each weekday.

One, the 0659 off Rhymney was extended to Radyr, and returned ECS to Canton.

Whenever possible I'd walk out into the car park, or better still stand on the top floor canteen fire escape just after five past eight, and watch, or just listen as the driver would give a short 'parp' then open her up for the short sprint to the next stop at Fairwater.

It would put a spring in my step for the rest of the morning.

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Yes I can agree with this 'boost' to the system with 37s! I was lurking on Retford Station P2 sometime last year; can't remember why :rolleyes: Out of the blue (sorry) came two DRS 37s absolutely blasting south on some sort of engineers' stuff; superb noise. Obviously not as good as the Black 5 that once went through light engine when I wasn't expecting it (same place, same platform - can't remember why I was there then either!)

Surprises seem to be few and far between on the system these days - shame.;)

36E

• RMweb Gold

"What is our life if, full of care,

we have no time to stand & stare?"

I had one of those moments last September when I saw West Coast Railway 37 685 head through Dawlish Warren with stock for the Looe line celebration. It literally balsted through just as I got out of the car, made a "proper" racket! Even Sazzle recognised it was something different to the usual. No time to get a camera but sometimes watching is better than thinking too hard about getting a photo....

I expect several of my fellow RMwebbers will be able to identify the working. If it’s a regular thing I may have to modify my commute to get some pictures.

Hi Trevellan,

The workings are the 1Q71 (AM) and 1Q81 (PM), a semi regular test train diagram running ( as required, on Short Term Planning [ STP ]) from Liverpool St - Liverpool St, via Essex.

37038 XHNC LIVERPLST 521Q711606 L * LIVERPLST N

37059 XHNC LIVERPLST 521Q711606 L * LIVERPLST N these two did the deed today :)

1Q71 STP WO

LIVERPLST 06:30

BETHNALGN PASS 06:33

HACKNEYDN PASS 06:37

CLAPTONJN PASS 06:40

COPPRMLJN PASS 06:41

TOTTSTHJN PASS 06:42

BRIMSDOWN PASS 06:47

CHESHUNT PASS 06:51

BROXBOURN 06:56 07:06

BROXBN JN PASS 07:08

HARLOW TN PASS 07:13

BISHSTORT PASS 07:29

STANSTMFT PASS 07:33

STANSTDGL 07:35 09:25

STANSTMFT PASS 09:29

BISHSTORT PASS 09:32

HARLOW TN 09:42 10:05

BROXBN JN PASS 10:10

BROXBOURN PASS 10:11

CHESHUNT PASS 10:15

BRIMSDOWN PASS 10:18

TOTTSTHJN PASS 10:24

COPPRMLJN PASS 10:25

CLAPTONJN PASS 10:26

HACKNEYDN PASS 10:30

BETHNALGN PASS 10:34

LIVERPLST 10:38

1Q81 STP WO

LIVERPLST 10:43

BETHNALGN PASS 10:48

BOW JUNCT PASS 10:51

STRATFORD PASS 10:53

FORESTGTJ PASS 10:55

ILFORD PASS 10:58

SEVENKNGS PASS 11:06

GIDEAPARK PASS 11:15

SHENFIELD PASS 11:30

MTNESNGJN PASS 11:33

WICKFORD PASS 11:41

HOCKLEY PASS 11:48

STHENDVIC 11:58 12:06

HOCKLEY PASS 12:13

WICKFORD PASS 12:20

MTNESNGJN PASS 12:28

SHENFIELD PASS 12:37

GIDEAPARK PASS 12:49

ILFORD PASS 13:03

FORESTGTJ PASS 13:06

STRATFORD PASS 13:11

BOW JUNCT PASS 13:13

BETHNALGN PASS 13:16

LIVERPLST 13:19 13:24

BETHNALGN PASS 13:35

BOW JUNCT PASS 13:38

STRATFORD PASS 13:41

FORESTGTJ PASS 13:45

WOODGRAPK PASS 13:54

BARKBGSTJ PASS 13:56

BARKING 13:58 14:03

EHAM EMD 14:06

HTH

MIke

• RMweb Gold

Very many thanks for details of the working Mike. With the lighter mornings I may be able to vary my commute to observe these lovely beasties more closely. If I do manage to shoot any pictures I promise to share them here on RMweb.Thanks also for the other posts. I guessed that others would be equally stirred by such sights and sounds. It certainly makes a change from my usual boring diet of class 317s and the occasional Shed…

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Unfortunately, despite Mike's help with the timings, I never have seen the morning working again. However, on 28th April I was waiting on Tottenham Hale for a down service in the afternoon when the NR test train came through. 37 229 was leading, with 37 087 at the other end. The delay in posting a picture is down to me shooting film that day instead of digital - and it's only just been processed. The two veteran locos made a lovely sight (and sound) and I thought I'd belatedly share this with you.

post-7291-0-20714700-1311094226_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

DRS have done it for me again. A business meeting in Preston yesterday meant an overnight stay and, in a stroke of good fortune, my hotel room overlooked the railway. With time to kill after breakfast I spent a while observing the variety of traffic passing through.

Around 08:15 I suddenly spotted the ensemble below heading north: three DRS class 37s with four FNAs. I couldn’t resist trying to shoot a picture through the double glazed window, although in my haste I managed to get a nasty reflection. In addition, the fairly dull conditions and a high ISO setting (1600) means that the quality is abysmal, but I still thought it worth sharing. I’m afraid I couldn’t get the numbers from my vantage point.

post-7291-0-45054200-1323340765_thumb.jpg

Given that my local diet is 99% EMUs, the sheer variety at Preston made a pleasant change. Apart from the three old ladies above, I saw a West Coast 47 and 37 coupled together heading south light, a DRS class 66 on southbound intermodal, a Freightliner 66 heading north light, along with a steady trickle of classes 142, 150, 156, 158, 185, 221, 390 and an MPV on RHTT duties. Obviously daily fare for you northern folks, but a real kaleidoscope to those of us with less exotic local species!

Unfortunately being Northern this no longer excites - think back 30 years - now then there was proper variety, take off another 20 and would have been even better.

Oddly on a few business trips to Stevenage I would get interested when 365s would passed through at speed.

Like you say, when it's different to what you are used to it makes a nice change.

• RMweb Premium

You obviously got a good hotel then. If you were to run that train on a layout at exhibition how long until the "experts" would soon be telling you just how wrong it was. 3 locos on such a short train, tisk, tisk.

Archived