squashed rail

sir douglas

• RMweb Premium

I remember being shown a set of 5 similar but rather smaller marks on the down goods loop at Blea Moor by a kindly driver of a 9F. They had been left by another 9F struggling to restart a heavy northbound train after taking water.

Jamie

this reminds me of something I read in Model Rail years and years ago in Chris Leigh's final word column. It said that someone had broken into a US loco depot and hot wired a loco that was sandwiched between two other parked loco's and then set the throttle to max and left it overnight. The picture showed the track looking similar to this but with a locomotive on top of it.

You often see minor examples of this out and about - 'wheel burn'. Minor cases can be removed with a pass of a rail grinder but more major occurances will require rail replacement.

Unless the picture shows a matching three "burns" behind the camera, then these were created by a 3 axle loco. A shunter then? Looking at the track itself, it isn't UK prototype and, I don't think it's US. Mainline Europe somewhere?

steve

There is another photo of the entire 6 axle site in existance - I believe it is US in origin. This occasionally does the rounds amongst the NR Track Engineers ! I had an instance whilst TSM at Clapham Junction when a 455 in Plat 3 wheelspun late one afternoon in 2006 and left us with 8 x 10mm deep wheelburns that we had to remove the same night but typically weren't quite covered by a single 60' rail so we ended up installing 4 rails.

I liked the idea of modelling it on a layout...One way would be to have a cut panel of track by the side of the running line with the burns in and a shiny new section of rail in its place.

steve

• 2 weeks later...

Archived