DLT's NG Workbench - Back to The Hunslets

DLT

• RMweb Premium

First job is the mainframes, these are two rather delicate fold-up etches that fit together one inside the other.  The fit is absolutely perfect, and each braces the other giving an assembly that feels strong and rigid before its even soldered together.

651117077_IMG_4569small.jpg.9de7736ecda81216341fac8818ce2ba5.jpg

1983136476_IMG_4570small.jpg.2934b08dab414be7eb6faaf8a9d985e7.jpg

Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 10

First job is the mainframes, these are two rather delicate fold-up etches that fit together one inside the other.

What an unusual approach, don't think I've seen that before. I would be starting to have some concern about where to put the weight.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the Likes gents.

What an unusual approach, don't think I've seen that before. I would be starting to have some concern about where to put the weight.

Its quite an unusual loco.  I think this form of frame design is used in 2mm scale kits but it works really well here.  There s a third layer to add, a half-etched cosmetic overlay.

As for the weight issue, time will tell.  It all feels heavy enough in the box, theres a good few brass castings to fit.  There might be the odd cavity to fill with lead if needed.

Cheers, Dave.

Dave,

This is one of those kits that screams out to me to add to my stash (seen in the review), so I am looking forward to the build. I have a feeling that nothing you say or show will stop me buying it!

Regards,

Craigw

I should hope not!

I just sent an email to Neil and received a reply a few minutes later. He must be having a late night (I am in Australia).

He has the kit in stock and I am now 175 GBP lighter...

Regards,

Craigw

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone access the Neil Sayer site? I tried the link provided by Dave but cannot get beyond the first page, what am I doing wrong?

Nothing Geoff, that page is all you get!  You need to email him from there.

Cheers, Dave.

As they say in the art world - "Sold by the frame"?

Nothing so simple Kenton. I saw the review of the model in Narrow Gauge and Industrial  a couple of issues ago and intended to get one but got distracted as is my way. Seeing the start of the build on here stirred me into action. The kit was shipped last night so now comes the opportunity of finding out if the airmail this time around uses a jet or a carrier pigeon. 

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing this build.

Craigw

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Seems an age since my last post n this subject, but progress there is.  

Frame assembly soldered together and the detailed overlays added.  Took quite a bit of cleaning up!

455644741_IMG_4575small.jpg.cbba07616e6806dfdaa49f41ea04e145.jpg

The wheel assembly comes with one wheel (non-insulated) already mounted on the axle, and you have to press the insulated wheel into place to your required gauge.

The gearbox is custom designed and part of the chassis etch, but is similar in style to the familiar Highlevel boxes.  Much as I dislike them it has a press-fit final drive gear; I prefer a grubscrew fitting but as the axle is only 2mm diameter I guess this arrangement is more suitable.  It does however mean that if I need to check the free-running of the chassis I will have to remove the body, and then disconnect the motor from the gearbox.

Also in the photo are the ingenious axlebox assemblies, which slide into place in the hornguides and are secured from above.

1046498045_IMG_4578small.jpg.238685feddc67fcc2706904273073293.jpg

The assembly so far.  The screws securing the axleboxes in place will be shortened in due course.  The kit provides 14BA screws  to go into tapped holes for this, but I thought I was pushing my luck cutting such a small thread so I opted for 12BA instead.  Makes it easier to handle and anyway, I already had a 12BA tap.  A little modification in this area could add springing to the wheels.

654793354_IMG_4583small.jpg.36021078c3b0e38e715241c42cbb2e9d.jpg

Not sure if the underside view adds anything, but does throw up the question of the bright red gearwheel, and whether it will be visible on the completed model.  Time will tell.

714760361_IMG_4580small.jpg.daacf3d48840f27f4752bb11ece9af22.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 11

Looks good so far Dave, I assume the fair bit of cleaning up was filling the cusps and squaring up the layers which you look to have done?

Is yours being done to On 16.5?

Keep up the good work and updates, at least one person is interested.

Regards,

Craigw

• RMweb Premium

Looks good so far Dave, I assume the fair bit of cleaning up was filling the cusps and squaring up the layers which you look to have done?

Is yours being done to On 16.5?

Keep up the good work and updates, at least one person is interested.

Regards, Craigw

Hi Craig,

Quite right, there was quite a lot of careful and gentle filing to square everything up without actually filing into the frames themselves.  Needed to work methodically, but I still kept missing bits.

Much as I would like to model in 14mm gauge, I've gone too far down the 16.5 road to change now.  Besides, a fair bit of my stock is based on 2'6" and 3' gauge prototypes, and they probably wouldn't look right on a narrower gauge.

All the best, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Brake gear was next on the list, and as expected the parts are cleverly designed and beautifully etched.  The instructions recommend using dressmaking pins for the assembly, heads underneath and points upwards, and these are supplied.  I found these fiddly and chaotic as I couldn't get any of them to stay in alignment, they flopped around all over the place.  Instead, using the main etch as a guide, I drilled (0.7mm) through the holes into a wooden block and pushed pieces of 0.7 brass wire into the holes.  Hey presto, instant assembly jig, with everything firmly located and held in alignment.

340690211_IMG_4587small.jpg.2ba3f58801d5ef7ab1f8bcc49144b69b.jpg

After that it was simple to assemble and solder the parts together.  The odd piece of etch passing through is a spacer, removed once everything is soldered.

1563349441_IMG_4590small.jpg.c537496aaa7bf970b548bbeecacf8437.jpg

The two lower pieces of wire are trimmed back and a fifth piece added in the lower hole.  The three remaining long pieces then locate the assembly in the chassis.

1518400075_IMG_4601small.jpg.f476f8b3c7ef755e0708dc061afe2447.jpg

A little filing of the brake blocks was needed so that they didn't foul the wheels, and then everything soldered in place and the wires trimmed back.

1268884794_IMG_4604small.jpg.e9fe380c58e33343798e4ab0fcc6ca8a.jpg

Thats all for now,

Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 9

Mine arrived in the post today (great service) and it does look very tempting. I have to finish a Nigel Lawton Simplex and fitting a Brassmasters chassis to a Bachmann 3F before I can start on it though.

On the bright side though, I should be well aware of any issues by that time....

Looking great Dave, the more I look at things like this (and my collection of KB scale kits) the less appeal standard gauge has!

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 1

Really good looking etches!

A slight aside from the build - I am trying to get my head around the mechanics of operating those brakes. A fixed pivot at the top and bottom to the frames - it is unclear how the brake shoes can be levered apart? I would have expected a fixed pivot at the top and the bottom to be a cross shaft to thee opposite side with the cross-shaft lifted?

Really good looking etches!A slight aside from the build - I am trying to get my head around the mechanics of operating those brakes. A fixed pivot at the top and bottom to the frames - it is unclear how the brake shoes can be levered apart? I would have expected a fixed pivot at the top and the bottom to be a cross shaft to thee opposite side with the cross-shaft lifted?

The shoes must hinge at the top and expand from the bottom looking at this pic which would suggest the lower "shaft" lifts on a cam perhaps?

post-1733-0-36763300-1390303598.jpg

• Like 1

The shoes must hinge at the top and expand from the bottom looking at this pic which would suggest the lower "shaft" lifts on a cam perhaps?

That's roughly what I was thinking. which does mean that the bottom pivot should not be fixed to the frame. But it's only a kit ;)

That's roughly what I was thinking. which does mean that the bottom pivot should not be fixed to the frame. But it's only a kit ;)

The bottom of the V must rise vertically perhaps in trunnions, but let's not challenge Dave to model it, it's almost invisible.

• RMweb Premium

.... but let's not challenge Dave to model it, it's almost invisible.

No please don't!  I really not keen to model anything that can't be seen, but it would be interesting to know. 

And thanks for that picture of Moelwyn, the side-on view in good light makes it really useful. 

What sort of date is it, late 1970s?  Isnt that an Austin Allegro in the background? or a Princess?

On the bright side though, I should be well aware of any issues by that time....

Looking great Dave, the more I look at things like this (and my collection of KB scale kits) the less appeal standard gauge has!

Hopefully there wont be any real issues to worry about, I'm certainly not anticipating any.  Any kit of this nature, particularly of such an odd prototype, is going to call for some careful and fiddly work to ge the best out of it.

Its no good fighting it; the appeal of narrow gauge cannot be resisted!

Cheers, Dave

IMG_4604small_zpsfa542d01.jpg

Thats all for now,

Dave.

Wow, I really like narrow gauge, and the more I see of this build the more I'm tempted to get this kit.  Looks absolutely marvelous, and you're doing a great job on the build.  (and I'm already saving my $$ for the 16.5 Double Fairlie from EDM...)

Now for the question.  I assume there are matching brakes on the other side?  Looks like there are holes in the frame for them...

No please don't!  I really not keen to model anything that can't be seen, but it would be interesting to know.  And thanks for that picture of Moelwyn, the side-on view in good light makes it really useful. What sort of date is it, late 1970s?  Isnt that an Austin Allegro in the background? or a Princess? Hopefully there wont be any real issues to worry about, I'm certainly not anticipating any.  Any kit of this nature, particularly of such an odd prototype, is going to call for some careful and fiddly work to ge the best out of it. Its no good fighting it; the appeal of narrow gauge cannot be resisted! Cheers, Dave

The pic is from Festipedia and was clearly in Minffordd yard in the late 70's. That is a Princess wedge in the background. Much more comfortable than the Baldwin but that's about the only positive comparison!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now for the question.  I assume there are matching brakes on the other side?  Looks like there are holes in the frame for them...

Hi Mike,

Yes indeed, there are brakes on the other side, but I wont inflict the description on you!

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

A few photos that I took when we visited Boston Lodge Aug 2006 - when exhibiting in Porthmadog.

I can email these if you want ...

Hi Richard,

Yes please, those are great.  I took a few of Moelwyn on that occasion, but not as detailed as yours.  Rather than emailing, are they on a site I can download from?

Even then I had thoughts about modelling one of these.

All the best,

Dave.