DLT's NG Workbench - Back to The Hunslets

DLT

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much Stu, its becoming a bit of a tradition (well, second time) that my newest loco has a demonstration run on your layout at Taunton

Shepherds/Treamble is developing very nicely.

Cheers, Dave.

Thats' because your locos are non-DCC so not able to run on Acacia Avenue!

Looks very good with the weathering and I know plenty has been written / typed about the resin bonnet, but does look good with the detailing 'popping-out' well with the weathering.

Looking forward to seeing running up and down Charmouth in Exeter in a few weeks !

What's next ???????????

Edited by mudmagnet
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thats' because your locos are non-DCC so not able to run on Acacia Avenue!

Looks very good with the weathering and I know plenty has been written / typed about the resin bonnet, but does look good with the detailing 'popping-out' well with the weathering.

Looking forward to seeing running up and down Charmouth in Exeter in a few weeks !

Thanks Mudders, its had a bit more weathering added since, plus the missing worksplates and handrail.

What's next ???????????

Just weighing up my options...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ok, I'm pretty sure its finished now; a couple more bits and some more dirt added.  I'll stop before I cock it up!

1922594481_P1050823small.jpg.4b24f009a7d5df92cec40d88f0ab56cf.jpg

967404743_P1050827small.jpg.1841cc92e8e8cfcb195674a0665342c4.jpg

887606727_P1050829small.jpg.8aad887cb0d666cac037dfb3cb92e47f.jpg

1522443597_P1050831small.jpg.001432e65d7f6e578e68a93050ab89a1.jpg

1111734124_P1050835small.jpg.21d7d4fddca219e03ceaf769355ef97f.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 15

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Brilliant  :O  Just goes to show that there really is a" prototype for everything"

Thanks very much for sharing it, please can you tell us where it is?

All the best,

Dave.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sudden erratic running running of the Baldwin was traced to a split crank flopping around on the axle, leading to the loco spending most of the Exeter show as a static exhibit.

Neil Sayer was very prompt in supplying replacements; lucky he sent several as I snapped off the opposite crank while trying to fit the new one.  So it now has two new cranks, and oddly seems to run better than it did before!

While it was in bits I managed to squeeze a few more lumps of lead into odd corners.  Now to find a whitemetal seated driver figure for the cab, one without his elbows sticking out as its a bit tight for space.

Cheers,

Dave.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Over the last couple of shows I've been taking a look at my wagon stock, and some of the older items were in serious need of a facelift.

The pair illustrated were some of my first scratchbuilds; made from very thin plywood, with rivited brass strip for the metalwork. (or "strapping" as we modellers like to call it).  Recently they've been disintegrating at the glue has dried and lost its grip and bits have disappeared.  So much of the remaining brass was removed, cleaned up, blackened (it had originally been painted black) and superglued back on, followed by a bit more weathering.  New bits were added from brass or black plasticard, and they look good again.

I rapidly realised that such construction methods were great for building a small number of showpiece models, but a bit too laborious for stocking an entire layout.  Subsequently far more use was made of planked basswood and plasticard sheet, and basswood and styrene strip.

274106615_IMG_5419small.jpg.1f02c31e1f5e0134a605eeb86900ac52.jpg

118877745_IMG_5422small.jpg.41f9b1307f9fe27f08b56f7131810087.jpg

Cheers,

Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Another task is making alterations to this van, one of my more recent scratchbuilds.  Made entirely of styrene this time, its a sort of generic "Irish" van.

689177335_IMG_5412small.jpg.4dad641c6f67cf54382940ef1e038160.jpg

I'm making it a bit more Irish by adding dropflaps to make it a convertible good/cattle van, in the manner of these:

(Please note, these images are copyright and taken from "County Donegal Companion", and "Irish NG Rolling Stock", and are shown here only to illustrate what I'm aiming for.  Is that permissible?)

1484134090_DropflapCDR2small.jpg.8346f8c019cfe3cb116c8605f2b01308.jpg

2111521598_DropflapCVB2small.jpg.44391503d7065d7998eb3d184d63da51.jpg

The first is a Donegal van, and the second is from the Castlederg & Victoria Bridge Tramway.

Cheers,

Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The C&VB vans by the way, were transferred to the Clogher Valley on closure, where the stood unused until that line closed as well.

The were considered a good buy, but nobody had checked whether the couplings or braking systems were compatible.  They weren't!

Dave.

Over the last couple of shows I've been taking a look at my wagon stock, and some of the older items were in serious need of a facelift.

The pair illustrated were some of my first scratchbuilds; made from very thin plywood, with rivited brass strip for the metalwork. (or "strapping" as we modellers like to call it). 

Thats given my an idea for a building!...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Love the rolling stock, what are you using for chassis?

Thanks Fettster, my wagon underframes have varied quite a lot over time, I will do a description shortly.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

A bit of progress with the Irish van, dropflaps and runners have been fitted; just a few bits of plasticard and microstrip.  I use black plasticard to represent metalwork, as its self coloured.  Such parts are a swine to paint otherwise.

1128912699_IMG_5918small.jpg.bde4327efdbee068d341a8c57cb90c2e.jpg

Some of these convertible vans had small sliding ventilators at the bottom corners of the sides, (see earlier photos) but I didnt want to disturb the rather nice lettering thats already there so I've left them off.

Cheers,

Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Another task is making alterations to this van, one of my more recent scratchbuilds. Made entirely of styrene this time, its a sort of generic "Irish" van.

[

I'm making it a bit more Irish by adding dropflaps to make it a convertible good/cattle van, in the manner of these:

(Please note, these images are copyright and taken from "County Donegal Companion", and "Irish NG Rolling Stock", and are shown here only to illustrate what I'm aiming for. Is that permissible?)

DropflapCDR2small_zps3dafd98d.jpg

[

The first is a Donegal van, and the second is from the Castlederg & Victoria Bridge Tramway.

Cheers,

Dave.

So I assume the second van had the same lettering under the drop flaps too? Seems a bit of a waste of time to letter it twice, so why didn't they just letter it lower down?

I do like the updates, much like a real railway adapting stock to new needs.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul,

Both these vans have flaps that slide up and down, (perhaps I shouldnt have called them flaps) the Donegal van has the lettering on the flaps, the C&VB van has them at a lower level where they are not covered when the flaps are open.

I think (will have to check later) the the Clogher Valley vans had hinged flaps that covered the lettering on the van sides when open, but had duplicate lettering on the inside of the flaps instead. (if that makes sense...)

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT

• RMweb Gold

Ah so the Clogher Valley did waste time lettering it twice but the Donegal just moved it up and down!

Thanks Dave it's good to see the modern trend for not thinking about what doors do to lettering has an illustrious history ;)

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul,

Yes indeed.  Below is another copyright photo, from The Clogher Valley Railway by EM Patterson, showing the CVR vans with their hinged flaps up and down.

Maybe I can do the other side of my van like this.

677258815_DropflapCloghersmall.jpg.2b039e1e1554f6f950c5c7beb28b8bed.jpg

There must have been a good reason not to put the lettering on the doors; seems to be a logical place to put it.

Cheers,

Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Three books have formed the main sources of reference for this wagon task (and previous carriage and brakevan builds) they are:

"Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock (An Irish Railway Pictorial)"  by Desmond Coakham, Ian Allan Publishing

"The Clogher Valley Railway (Second Edition)"  by Dr. EM Patterson (Additional Material by Norman Johnston), Colourpoint Books

"The County Donegal Railways Companion (A Handbook for Modellers & Historians)"  by Roger Crombleholme, Midland Publishing

Of these the first has probably supplied the most information and really is a definitive reference work on the subject of Irish NG rolling stock.

Other useful references are:

"The Irish Narrow Gauge in Colour"  by Norman Johnston, Colourpoint Books

"The Last Years of The Wee Donegal (The County Donegal Railways in Colour 1950-59)"  by Robert Robotham, Colourpoint Books

Hope this is of interest,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Having painted the new bits and later scraped the paint off the "strapping", it looks like this.  

A bit of tidying up and then it'll be ready for lettering (probably just "M. V" on the doors)  but I wont do this until I've finished both sides.  T

he new paint will need varnishing and a bit of dirt to blend it in.

1572513530_IMG_5926small.jpg.afa398607ca6774694f4f5f3a8a0faf1.jpg

The other side has so far had its sliding door removed and some mods to the framing.

1491616450_IMG_5935small.jpg.cc309b90865dfb2583357eaf7c855d47.jpg

Cheers,

Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Doors and dropflaps added all from plasticard and microrod; only(!) the metalwork/hinges etc to add from black plasticard.

734511479_IMG_5943small.jpg.f725201d6bc726f970a429fbe960c34c.jpg

Hmm, thinking that the trim and pivot rod on the flaps looks a bit overscale now, but I can always file it down a bit.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1